Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father Ted's creator banned from Twitter

"The Father Ted creator Graham Linehan has been permanently suspended from Twitter for breaching the site’s rules on banned words.

Twitter said the account, which uses the handle @glinner, had been suspended after “repeated violations of our rules against hateful conduct and platform manipulation”.

Linehan’s account was closed after he reportedly tweeted “men aren’t women tho” in response to a post by the Women’s Institute wishing their transgender members a happy Pride.

Following the suspension, a post credited to Linehan’s handle “Glinner” on the parenting website Mumsnet asked for support."

I sincerely hope anthropologists in the future (if any. Both anthropologists *and* future) will have records other than the internet in general and social media in particular to inform their ideas of our times and us because based on that we sure as hell are gonna come out looking like utter, petty, argumentative, name-calling twats. No matter what our political or religious affiliations. One big-ass sandpit full of tantrum-throwing kidults pulling each other's pigtails and screaming at the top of their voice.

Hmm

(Nothing to do with this, but I never *could* get into Father Ted. Way too slapstick-y and cringey, and over-the-top in a really mindless way, no wit or anything (that *I* could see, so yeah, spare me how it's great and I just don't get it. It really isn't my cup of tepid, rancid tea.)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(06-27-2020, 07:37 PM)Vera Wrote: (Nothing to do with this, but I never *could* get into Father Ted. Way too slapstick-y and cringey, and over-the-top in a really mindless way, no wit or anything (that *I* could see, so yeah, spare me how it's great and I just don't get it. It really isn't my cup of tepid, rancid tea.)

Totally agree. Crappy schoolboy "humour" and poor timing and delivery by all its actors.
I'm guessing if you'd just reached puberty it may've been giggle-worthy?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Vera

Vera, historians use "popular media" from way back yonder, so don't get your hopes up. I did a paper on the USN in the War of 1812. The official version of events always varied from that in the newspapers.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

But who is to say that the "official version" bears any relation to reality?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[tedious]The deck logs of the ships vs. the yellow journalism of the tabloids.[/tedious]

(06-27-2020, 07:37 PM)Vera Wrote: "The Father Ted creator Graham Linehan has been permanently suspended from Twitter for breaching the site’s rules on banned words.

Twitter said the account, which uses the handle @glinner, had been suspended after “repeated violations of our rules against hateful conduct and platform manipulation”.

Linehan’s account was closed after he reportedly tweeted “men aren’t women tho” in response to a post by the Women’s Institute wishing their transgender members a happy Pride.

Following the suspension, a post credited to Linehan’s handle “Glinner” on the parenting website Mumsnet asked for support."

The Guardian is a transphobic newspaper so they are downplaying what he did. This tweet thread lists Glinner's behaviour and it took Twitter three years to ban him. He wasn't banned for a difference of opinion but because he obsessively used Twitter every day to wage a war of hate against trans people.

It's worth pointing out that there is a huge, well funded orchestrated campaign of hate and disinformation against trans people right now using bots, sock accounts and crowd funding sites to channel dark money from evangelical Christians in America to create test cases in court and fund large adverts in newspapers. Graham Lineham was a leading face for this although has now been joined by JK Rowling. People leaving this movement have written in detail about how it is run like an abusive cult that love-bombs and radicalises people. The intention is to divide & conquer to roll back rights for women, non-binary and LGB people as well as T.

Quote:- Misgenders
- Deadnames
- Calls trans surgery "mutilation"
- Says trans people should learn to accept their bodies
- Calls social transition of trans kids "child abuse"
- Compares being trans to being anorexic.
- Thinks trans rights is a sort-of global men's rights movement...

- uses phrases like "trans ideology", "trans cult", "trans agenda."
- tried to get the only UK trans charity defunded.
- says that supporting trans rights is misogyny
- Calls trans people defending themselves "the woke stasi" and compared trans acceptance to Nazi oppression...

- was visited by the police for harassing trans people/allies. Twice.
- Lost 28k defending himself in case involving harassment of trans person.
- wrote admittedly transphobic material for TV.
- puts up pics of trans women he doesn't like so his followers can abuse them...

- Calls misgendering "just telling the truth."
- Has supported Julia Long and Posie Parker, who transphobically harrassed Sarah McBride on US visit.
- Supports disruption of @PrideInLondon by anti-trans activists.
- Lobbies Stonewall to drop trans support...

- only supports trans women on condition they don't regard themselves as "real" women
- defends himself by saying "I have trans friends."
- response to reasonable questions about this position like this... (tweet quoted was of him simply saying "Shut UP! Fuck OFF!" to someone asking for evidence of his claims)

- Harasses any big accounts that show any sign of supporting the trans community: Recently: @ACLU
@LetToysBeToys @NSPCC @amandapalmer
- Encourages dog-piling of those who don't subscribe to his ideolofy, resulting in people leaving Twitter. Recenty: Cariad Lloyd and Robin Ince..

- Says that studies and tweets detailing and highlighting suicide attempts and ideation in trans community are tantamount to emotional blackmail.
- Says that parents who support transition are actually "transing" their kids because they are homophobic...

- Says that "actually gay" kids are being fast-tracked into transition, when in fact, waiting lists are up to 2 years in many places.
- Acknowledges that gender dysphoria is distressing for trans teens, but does not support medication, supports a psychiatric "cure." ...

- Disseminates the myth that trans women are a danger to cis women in public toilets.
- Disseminates the myth that trans self-id laws are widely abused.
- Says that "cis" and "terf" are slurs.

- Tweets anecdotal stories of poor behaviour by one trans person to encourage people to judge the entire, worldwide trans community by that one person's behaviour.
- Links to websites that exist solely to document crimes by transgender people for the same purpose...

- Says that trans women in sport are cheaters.
- Says that trans women who have been sexually assaulted should not be able to access support facilities for women.
- Uses his 670K+ Twitter account to amplify all of these things, everyday...
The following 5 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • epronovost, Finite Monkeys, julep, Vera, skyking

(06-28-2020, 07:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 07:37 PM)Vera Wrote: "The Father Ted creator Graham Linehan has been permanently suspended from Twitter for breaching the site’s rules on banned words.

The Guardian is a transphobic newspaper so they are downplaying what he did. This tweet thread lists Glinner's behaviour and it took Twitter three years to ban him. He wasn't banned for a difference of opinion but because he obsessively used Twitter every day to wage a war of hate against trans people.

It's worth pointing out that there is a huge, well funded orchestrated campaign of hate and disinformation against trans people right now using bots, sock accounts and crowd funding sites to channel dark money from evangelical Christians in America to create test cases in court and fund large adverts in newspapers. Graham Lineham was a leading face for this although has now been joined by JK Rowling. People leaving this movement have written in detail about how it is run like an abusive cult that love-bombs and radicalises people. The intention is to divide & conquer to roll back rights for women, non-binary and LGB people as well as T.

Quote:- Misgenders
- Deadnames
- Calls trans surgery "mutilation"
- Says trans people should learn to accept their bodies
- Calls social transition of trans kids "child abuse"
- Compares being trans to being anorexic.
- Thinks trans rights is a sort-of global men's rights movement...

- uses phrases like "trans ideology", "trans cult", "trans agenda."
- tried to get the only UK trans charity defunded.
- says that supporting trans rights is misogyny
- Calls trans people defending themselves "the woke stasi" and compared trans acceptance to Nazi oppression...

- was visited by the police for harassing trans people/allies. Twice.
- Lost 28k defending himself in case involving harassment of trans person.
- wrote admittedly transphobic material for TV.
- puts up pics of trans women he doesn't like so his followers can abuse them...

- Calls misgendering "just telling the truth."
- Has supported Julia Long and Posie Parker, who transphobically harrassed Sarah McBride on US visit.
- Supports disruption of @PrideInLondon by anti-trans activists.
- Lobbies Stonewall to drop trans support...

- only supports trans women on condition they don't regard themselves as "real" women
- defends himself by saying "I have trans friends."
- response to reasonable questions about this position like this... (tweet quoted was of him simply saying "Shut UP! Fuck OFF!" to someone asking for evidence of his claims)

- Harasses any big accounts that show any sign of supporting the trans community: Recently: @ACLU
@LetToysBeToys @NSPCC @amandapalmer
- Encourages dog-piling of those who don't subscribe to his ideolofy, resulting in people leaving Twitter. Recenty: Cariad Lloyd and Robin Ince..

- Says that studies and tweets detailing and highlighting suicide attempts and ideation in trans community are tantamount to emotional blackmail.
- Says that parents who support transition are actually "transing" their kids because they are homophobic...

- Says that "actually gay" kids are being fast-tracked into transition, when in fact, waiting lists are up to 2 years in many places.
- Acknowledges that gender dysphoria is distressing for trans teens, but does not support medication, supports a psychiatric "cure." ...

- Disseminates the myth that trans women are a danger to cis women in public toilets.
- Disseminates the myth that trans self-id laws are widely abused.
- Says that "cis" and "terf" are slurs.

- Tweets anecdotal stories of poor behaviour by one trans person to encourage people to judge the entire, worldwide trans community by that one person's behaviour.
- Links to websites that exist solely to document crimes by transgender people for the same purpose...

- Says that trans women in sport are cheaters.
- Says that trans women who have been sexually assaulted should not be able to access support facilities for women.
- Uses his 670K+ Twitter account to amplify all of these things, everyday...

I would also like to add that he has attempted to created a network of "gender critical" therapists in Ireland to attempt pseudo conversion therapy on minor trans despite the fact such an act is illegal in Ireland. He also has a nasty streak when it comes to attacking women who question his positions and is also a case of SERF n TERF (that is that his "feminism" excludes trans people and their allies, but also women who work in the sex industry, their allies and what he would call "sluts"). All in all, a very charming fellow. He is so toxic and full of himself even the people of Mumsnet, the World's Headquarter of Karen United, don't want to hear from him and I would like to note that transphobia is pretty much a norm on mumsnet.
The following 3 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Mathilda, Vera, skyking

Got no idea what "Father Ted" is. I take it I'm not missing much.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • brewerb

(06-28-2020, 11:58 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Got no idea what "Father Ted" is. I take it I'm not missing much.

^^^Yep, I was guessing this was going to be about the pope.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(06-27-2020, 07:37 PM)Vera Wrote: (Nothing to do with this, but I never *could* get into Father Ted. Way too slapstick-y and cringey, and over-the-top in a really mindless way, no wit or anything (that *I* could see, so yeah, spare me how it's great and I just don't get it. It really isn't my cup of tepid, rancid tea.)
Maybe you had to be raised Catholic—I laughed, mainly because I enjoyed seeing priests get made fun of, and because I always half suspected that sort of thing was going on in the rectory anyway.  By the same token, I also haven't seen an episode in nearly 20 years, so it might not have aged well.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I haven't watched it, but then I don't have as high brow tastes as some, so I might enjoy it. Far be it from me to piss on another person's joy without good reason.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

"rectumry" :hehe:

(06-27-2020, 10:19 PM)SYZ Wrote: Totally agree.  Crappy schoolboy "humour" and poor timing and delivery by all its actors.
I'm guessing if you'd just reached puberty it may've been giggle-worthy?
Yeah, every time I've tried/been made to watch some of it, I've felt as if someone puked stupid in my brain. Pathetically juvenile stupid at that.

Of course, water finds its own level.

(06-27-2020, 10:49 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Vera, historians use "popular media" from way back yonder, so don't get your hopes up. I did a paper on the USN in the War of 1812. The official version of events always varied from that in the newspapers.

What *historians*, using "real" media, popular or not, will have to same is an admittedly interesting question but not at all what I was talking about.

What anthropologists, if any, will think of *us*, as a society, and individuals, based on social media, is a whole other, rather pathetic matter.

Apart from the infantile obsession with ourselves and every little thing we do ("I just ate a sammich. Will have a cup of tea later", "I'm sitting on my sofa, picking my nose", "I just got a new pair of socks) and sharing them with a fascinated stupefied world, there's the whole fishwives fighting and pulling each other's hair thing we have going on. It is pathetic to watch.

Even more pathetic, like in his case, when pathetic bullies like him (and so much of the internet) a) depend on likes, other people agreeing or mere attention for some sort of validation ("This person agrees with me, so *I* am right", "I got more likes than you, so I'm better and smarter, and you SUCK)" and b) can dish it out but not take it (especially if they are denied that epitome of the infantile bully - the need to have THE LAST WORD!) and then go crying to mummy (literally in his case, as he went to moan on mumsnet Facepalm )
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Mathilda, SYZ

@Mathilda I actually saw someone mention it on facebook and went to look for a news article; the guardian was among the top results and one of the better known ones (I also wanted the line about him going to mumsnet... though after I read @epronovost's post it makes more sense. Still pathetic). I've long since stopped reading the guardian, it's a joke.

The comments on his banning (not there) were... frightening and deeply sad. The internet has truly become toxic. To what degree it's a real reflection on society is scary to contemplate.

He seems like a right tool (I remember reading some of his tweets ages ago... wasn't impressed and never came back).
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Mathilda

@Vera My friends in the Psych and Soc departments at Purdue are loving the internet age. It's doing their surveys for them without having to hand out questionnaires that someone else will inevitably say had "loaded" questions. It's an embarrassment of riches for them.

(06-28-2020, 03:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: @Vera My friends in the Psych and Soc departments at Purdue are loving the internet age. It's doing their surveys for them without having to hand out questionnaires that someone else will inevitably say had "loaded" questions. It's an embarrassment of riches for them.

So basically, we're screwed in yet another way?

Oh and thanks to that twit (well, ex-twit I guess Whistling ), I learnt about parler (on top of everything, my brain is about to explode trying to pronounce it simultaneously the French way (as it's based on the French word) and how it's probably been americanized hobo ): "Donald Trump ally David Clarke Jr. said he would join Parler in March 2020 after Twitter deleted several of his tweets promoting coronavirus disinformation. A wave of right-wing and conservative media and political figures joined Parler in June 2020, including Donald Trump Jr., Dan Bongino, Rudy Giuliani, Katie Hopkins, Alex Jones and Ted Cruz."

Also, dear lord, Ted Cruz looks even creepier now Confused

Poli Sci is in 7th heaven. They'd be taking notes if Chicxulub II was coming down, of course.

(06-28-2020, 09:16 PM)Vera Wrote: Oh and thanks to that twit (well, ex-twit I guess  Whistling ), I learnt about parler (on top of everything, my brain is about to explode trying to pronounce it simultaneously the French way (as it's based on the French word) and how it's probably been americanized  hobo ): "Donald Trump ally David Clarke Jr. said he would join Parler in March 2020 after Twitter deleted several of his tweets promoting coronavirus disinformation. A wave of right-wing and conservative media and political figures joined Parler in June 2020, including Donald Trump Jr., Dan Bongino, Rudy Giuliani, Katie Hopkins, Alex Jones and Ted Cruz."

Also, dear lord, Ted Cruz looks even creepier now  Confused

Weren't the conservitards pissing and moaning about John Kerry being able to speak French in '04?

Hypocritical fuckwits.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

(06-28-2020, 07:47 AM)Mathilda Wrote: ...The Guardian is a transphobic newspaper so they are downplaying what he did.

I subscribe to The Guardian Australia as it's the only truly independent daily newspaper here.
Murdoch and Packer control the rest of the print media here, and most of our major broadcasting outlets.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it being "transphobic".      Huh

Is the Aussie edition possibly different in content to the UK edition?

(06-29-2020, 09:35 AM)SYZ Wrote: Is the Aussie edition possibly different in content to the UK edition?

Quite possibly. I know journalists working for the Guardian in America have complained about the UK Guardian's stance on trans rights

Why we take issue with the Guardian’s stance on trans rights in the UK
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • SYZ

(06-29-2020, 09:44 AM)Mathilda Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 09:35 AM)SYZ Wrote: Is the Aussie edition possibly different in content to the UK edition?
Quite possibly. I know journalists working for the Guardian in America have complained about the UK Guardian's stance on trans rights

Yep.  On comparing, the Aussie version is  different to both the UK and US versions.  I do note that
in its editorial, the US version did say  "The Guardian supports trans equality and believes reform
of the Gender Recognition Act could form part of this"—although it's not exactly clear what "this" they're
referring to.  Exclusion or inclusion of trans people in single sex-sex services?  

But elsewhere in the same editorial, they seem to be somewhat ambivalent.  Very confusing.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Mathilda