Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A controversial Russian theory...

... and a ridiculous American title.

In all the years I've been reading Science magazine, Nature and several other scientific publications (even if only online), this is the first time I can recall that a theory is described - repeatedly, and the author's nationality stated repeatedly, including a mention of her "Russian" humour - in terms of the author's nationality.

It is... disheartening to see in a scientific publication. Though probably not all that surprising.

Here's another article on the same subject. New meteorological theory argues that the world’s forests are rainmakers. I guess it wasn't so hard not to make it about RUSSIA after all.

At least there was no mention of Putin, so I guess I should be counting my blessings.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Mathilda

Well, it's scientifically proven that in order to keep Russians moving freely and to keep them from stalin, their nationality must be mentioned a minimum of 1916 times.
The following 4 users Like no one's post:
  • Vera, Fireball, Dānu, M.Linoge

(06-18-2020, 06:23 PM)no one Wrote: Well, it's scientifically proven that in order to keep Russians moving freely and to keep them from stalin, their nationality must be mentioned a minimum of 1916 times.

Surely you mean 1917 times, no?

[Image: giphy.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu

Fools Russian where Americans fear to tread. But that's Putin it mildly.
The following 4 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Vera, Bucky Ball, Thumpalumpacus, Mr Greene

The Russians do have a fantastic infinite regression theory:

[Image: 705143da8a210713c4cd9e5f3f8272cf.gif]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V

Feeping infotainmentism.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(06-18-2020, 06:30 PM)Alan V Wrote: Fools Russian where Americans fear to tread.  But that's Putin it mildly.

“My sister’s in the ballet.”
“You say your sister’s in the ballet?”
“Yes, begorrah, my sister’s in the ballet.”
“What does your sister do in the ballet?”
“She comes rushing in, and then she goes rushing out.”
“What does she have to rush like that for?”
“Faith and begob, because it’s a Rushin’ ballet.”
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Bucky Ball, Dancefortwo

If they keep stroganoff, they're bound to get what's coming.

Something something Putin.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.