Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying Taxes Against God's Will...
Shocked 
A Tasmanian family that made headlines for refusing to pay income tax on the grounds it
went "against God's will" has announced it will be closing its honey store in the state's north
by the end of the month.  The Dutch family, Fanny, Lida and Remmo Beerepoot were ordered
by the Hobart Supreme Court to pay $2.2 million to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
in July 2019, after being served with two notices of their debt and failing to lodge tax returns.  
They currently own and operate the outlet in a popular tourist locale in Tasmania, which attracts
thousands of visitors every year.

Christian family rejects law of land; accepts only the law of God.

[Image: 11320400-3x2-large.jpg?v=3]

The family says:  "The only reason why we are closing is because the authorities (which include
the government, the judiciary and the [ATO]) walk in open defiance to the Almighty God, and
they have made demands upon us which will require us to do the same.  Both the ATO and the
Supreme Court declare that the law of man, or legislated law, is of higher authority to the law
of God".

In 2017, the family failed to pay more than $9,000 worth of council rates on three properties
which make up their honey farm.  A local council report stated the family "steadfastly reaffirmed their
belief that the land was not theirs, but that of the Heavenly Father, that the council would be taking
the land from him and that was a matter between council and God".

These arseholes have been allowed to get away with this farce for far more than three years now,
and have indirectly cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars in recovery attempts and court costs. Why
they've escaped being jailed—as any other citizen would—is beyond me.  I'm guessing they know
people in high places... but not that  high LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 9 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dānu, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo, Minimalist, Mr Greene, Inkubus, Dom, M.Linoge, Unsapien

Isn't it curious that whenever God declares some law or command through a human intermediary, it is almost always something that is to the (usually financial) advantage of that intermediary?

Also, I guess this means "Render unto Caesar" is no longer God's law.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 7 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Mr Greene, Inkubus, Dom, RobbyPants, Thumpalumpacus

About time those scofflaws got what they deserve.   Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • SYZ

Guess they missed the whole "Render unto Ceasar" bit. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

But using all the services and goods that taxes provide isn't?

Hypocritical parasites.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 10 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo, brewerb, Mr Greene, Inkubus, Gwaithmir, brunumb, SYZ, Bucky Ball, Unsapien, Thumpalumpacus

If it would work a little better then perhaps I could be convinced to say that I believe in god. Big Grin
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

Better to believe in dog.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dom

Sounds like they want/need to live in a theocracy. Give them a compulsory permanent trip to Yemen.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir

(06-22-2020, 01:47 PM)Vera Wrote: But using all the services and goods that taxes provide isn't?

Hypocritical parasites.

Exactly!   For a while I lived in an area of Los Angeles that was low income and low tax based and because of that all the neighborhoods had terrible roads, schools and water problems.  There were fewer fire stations.  The upkeep of basic city facilities were lacking.  I remember the streets were awful and had weeds growing up along the sidewalks.    People bitch about taxes all the time but they don't realize that without their taxes a city or county or country cannot function on a basic level.
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera, Mr Greene, Gwaithmir, Dom, brunumb, Unsapien

(06-22-2020, 03:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Exactly!   For a while I lived in an area of Los Angeles that was low income and low tax based and because of that all the neighborhoods had terrible roads, schools and water problems.  There were fewer fire stations.  The upkeep of basic city facilities were lacking.  I remember the streets were awful and had weeds growing up along the sidewalks.    People bitch about taxes all the time but they don't realize that without their taxes a city or county or country cannot function on a basic level.

Yep. Compare this with Sweden where I could study for free (we weren't even members of EU back then) and where the other Bulgarian who was doing the same Master's programme had an ambulance come and take her to hospital, all free of charge (and she wasn't even sick nor was it in any way an emergency. She, supposedly, had some sort of mild allergy, in the form of a slight cough or sth. I think she couldn't cope with the studies and went back home for a couple of months to "recover", read, finish her thesis with several extra months).

Anytime someone claims they're an anarchist and society this and taxes that, I ask them why are they using all those nasty things that nasty society provides... like roads, electricity, education, health services, firefighters, the protection of the law (such as, at times, it is)... By all means, let's all go back to living in caves and fending for ourselves (and even back then we had some form of society or other)...
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 7 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Mr Greene, Dom, brunumb, Szuchow, M.Linoge, Unsapien

(06-22-2020, 06:59 AM)SYZ Wrote: A Tasmanian family that made headlines for refusing to pay income tax on the grounds it
went "against God's will" has announced it will be closing its honey store in the state's north
by the end of the month.  The Dutch family, Fanny, Lida and Remmo Beerepoot were ordered
by the Hobart Supreme Court to pay $2.2 million to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
in July 2019, after being served with two notices of their debt and failing to lodge tax returns.  
They currently own and operate the outlet in a popular tourist locale in Tasmania, which attracts

The family says:  "The only reason why we are closing is because the authorities (which include
the government, the judiciary and the [ATO]) walk in open defiance to the Almighty God, and
they have made demands upon us which will require us to do the same.  Both the ATO and the
Supreme Court declare that the law of man, or legislated law, is of higher authority to the law
of God".

In 2017, the family failed to pay more than $9,000 worth of council rates on three properties
which make up their honey farm.  A local council report stated the family "steadfastly reaffirmed their
belief that the land was not theirs, but that of the Heavenly Father, that the council would be taking

These arseholes have been allowed to get away with this farce for far more than three years now,
and have indirectly cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars in recovery attempts and court costs. Why
they've escaped being jailed—as any other citizen would—is beyond me.  I'm guessing they know

I wish my last name was "Beerepoot".  Weeping

Meanwhile, even though they won't pay taxes, they, (just like tax exempt churches in the US), continue to, and do every day, enjoy ... and in fact count on, all the benefits their society has, (fire departments, utilities, police, government, civil order, paved streets, street signs and lighting, etc etc), and everything else other people's taxes pay for. Yeah, they're ripping off their neighbors. If they don't believe in taxes, then they also MUST avoid ALL the benefits that accrue to a society from those that do pay taxes.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ, Vera

If you don't pay for the police and there's a threat to you or yours, call Starbucks and ask them to send you a hipster.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Do you think they are going to sell their daughter?

They have a daughter?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(06-22-2020, 08:46 AM)Reltzik Wrote: Also, I guess this means "Render unto Caesar" is no longer God's law.

God only said that under duress. He no longer talks like that now that the Romans aren't threatening him.

Iron chariots, and all... Whistling
The following 2 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Fireball, Vera

God doesn't like taxes but he really, really, really, really, really likes tithes?
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Fireball, Vera

(06-27-2020, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: God doesn't like taxes but he really, really, really, really, really like tithes?

Gimme gimme gimme. Our god is a needy god! And stingy, too.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Szuchow, Vera, Gwaithmir

(06-27-2020, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: God doesn't like taxes but he really, really, really, really, really like tithes?

Apparently god does not subscribe to sentiment espoused in following sentence - there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Vera

God created all the gold in the universe but didn't keep enough to cover expenses.
The following 6 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Inkubus, brunumb, Vera, Unsapien, Gwaithmir

(06-27-2020, 03:32 PM)Fireball Wrote: Our god is a needy god!

In more ways than one, the clingy, insecure, you-can't-see-anyone-else-not-even-your-friends creep Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V

Why not just give the daughter to the government? They might even make a profit on the useless female child.

(06-22-2020, 06:59 AM)SYZ Wrote: A Tasmanian family that made headlines for refusing to pay income tax on the grounds it

of God".

Scammers. Throw the lying bastards in jail.

Period.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

(06-29-2020, 11:59 PM)Free Wrote:
by the end of the month....

Period.

Their case is not before the courts yet, nor have they been charged, but there's every chance the siblings
and their mother will  end up in jail, as the ATO wields a veeerry big club.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Free

(06-30-2020, 10:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 11:59 PM)Free Wrote:
by the end of the month....

Period.

Their case is not before the courts yet, nor have they been charged, but there's every chance the siblings
and their mother will  end up in jail, as the ATO wields a veeerry big club.

I have two kids in Brisbane, and one is now a working adult. She pays her taxes like everyone else, so those bastards need to pay the fuck up like everyone else.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • SYZ

Apparently one has only to imagine some "higher law" to escape the real ones.

Never works out well though.