Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just when I think US can't possibly be any more primitive...

(05-31-2020, 12:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:
The coronavirus is deadliest where Democrats live, NYT, 26 May 2020.

[Image: Screenshot-2020-05-31-The-Coronavirus-Is...Live-1.png]

The devastation has been disproportionately felt in blue America, which helps explain why people on opposing
sides of a partisan divide that has intensified in the past two decades are thinking about the virus differently.
It is not just that Democrats and Republicans disagree on how to reopen businesses, schools and the country
as a whole. Beyond perception, beyond ideology, there are starkly different realities for red and blue America
right now.

Democrats are far more likely to live in counties where the virus has ravaged the community, while Republicans
are more likely to live in counties that have been relatively unscathed by the illness, though they are paying an
economic price. Counties won by Trump in 2016 have reported just 27% of the virus infections and 21% of the
deaths—even though 45% of Americans live in these communities, an analysis has found.

Democrats live in cities and metropolitan areas which rely on public transportation and live in close quarters on top of each other in highrise apartments.  New York city has subways, taxis, elevators in which thousands people are touching the same handles, buttons, bar straps and chairs on the subways plus they are shoulder to shoulder on the streets.  Seattle and and San Francisco are cities that are squeezed together so physical contact with other people is part of daily life.   Los Angeles is spread out but it's just plain huge with 10 million people in it.   L A is  a country in itself.  Here in the state of Oregon (a blue state)  we have both a large city with public transportation and the vast countryside.  The less populous area have had the quarantine lifted but here in the city we are still under quarantine.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

(05-31-2020, 03:45 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Rural America is going to get a taste of what urban America just went through. While I hope it's not as bad as we know it can be, I hope it drives home the point that the pandemic was badly mishandled in this country and that the misinformation from Washington needs to be stopped.

^^^ This.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(05-31-2020, 03:46 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 12:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:
The coronavirus is deadliest where Democrats live, NYT, 26 May 2020.

[Image: Screenshot-2020-05-31-The-Coronavirus-Is...Live-1.png]

The devastation has been disproportionately felt in blue America, which helps explain why people on opposing
sides of a partisan divide that has intensified in the past two decades are thinking about the virus differently.
It is not just that Democrats and Republicans disagree on how to reopen businesses, schools and the country
as a whole. Beyond perception, beyond ideology, there are starkly different realities for red and blue America
right now.

Democrats are far more likely to live in counties where the virus has ravaged the community, while Republicans
are more likely to live in counties that have been relatively unscathed by the illness, though they are paying an
economic price. Counties won by Trump in 2016 have reported just 27% of the virus infections and 21% of the
deaths—even though 45% of Americans live in these communities, an analysis has found.

Democrats live in cities and metropolitan areas which rely on public transportation and live in close quarters on top of each other in highrise apartments.  New York city has subways, taxis, elevators in which thousands people are touching the same handles, buttons, bar straps and chairs on the subways plus they are shoulder to shoulder on the streets.  Seattle and and San Francisco are cities that are squeezed together so physical contact with other people is part of daily life.   Los Angeles is spread out but it's just plain huge with 10 million people in it.   L A is  a country in itself.  Here in the state of Oregon (a blue state)  we have both a large city with public transportation and the vast countryside.  The less populous area have had the quarantine lifted but here in the city we are still under quarantine.

It's also worth pointing out that both Los Angeles and New York City are major international travel and shipping hubs, much like Wuhan.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard, Thumpalumpacus

(05-30-2020, 02:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Dude gives a shit about being a preachy I'm Smarter Than You asshole.

What makes you say he wasn't simultaneously taking a jab at his collegues? It's called being passive agressive and you love that shit usually; you do it often and so do I, I'm doing it right now.

(05-31-2020, 06:23 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 02:49 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Dude gives a shit about being a preachy I'm Smarter Than You asshole.

What makes you say he wasn't simultaneously taking a jab at his collegues? It's called being passive agressive and you love that shit usually; you do it often and so do I, I'm doing it right now.

Is that the vibe you got?  I just watched it again to see if I misinterpreted it.  The reporter is totally gobsmacked.  He's like "Uh...umm..."  People know when they're being hypocrites.