Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Poor Bastards Just Can't Catch A Break

Sheeesh!

https://www.france24.com/en/20200526-ind...s-of-crops

Quote:Indian drones pursue locusts as swarms destroy swathes of crops

Quote:Huge swarms of desert locusts are destroying crops across western and central India, prompting authorities Tuesday to step up their response to the country's worst plague in nearly three decades.
Drones, tractors and cars have been sent out to track the voracious pests and spray them with pesticides. The locusts have already destroyed nearly 50,000 hectares (125,000 acres) of cropland.
"Eight to 10 swarms, each measuring around a square kilometre are active in parts of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh," the government's Locust Warning Organisation's deputy director K.L. Gurjar told AFP.
The insects caused massive damage to seasonal crops in both states, devastating many farmers already struggling with the impact of a strict coronavirus lockdown.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, M.Linoge, skyking

(05-29-2020, 05:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Sheeesh!

Quote:Huge swarms of desert locusts are destroying crops across western and central India, prompting authorities Tuesday to step up their response to the country's worst plague in nearly three decades.
Drones, tractors and cars have been sent out to track the voracious pests and spray them with pesticides. The locusts have already destroyed nearly 50,000 hectares (125,000 acres) of cropland.
"Eight to 10 swarms, each measuring around a square kilometre are active in parts of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh," the government's Locust Warning Organisation's deputy director K.L. Gurjar told AFP.
The insects caused massive damage to seasonal crops in both states, devastating many farmers already struggling with the impact of a strict coronavirus lockdown.

Are these locusts of a variety that can be roasted and eaten?
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(05-29-2020, 05:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Sheeesh!

Pandemic, world economic slowdown, and then locusts? I do feel sorry for them. That is a lot to deal with.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

And they just suffered through a bad cyclone on the other side of India.  The Hits Just Keep On Coming.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I guess the sky fairy is upset that there wasn't enough Naan.

What a sad situation.
                                                         T4618

When it rains, it pours.

Plague, locus, probable famine. Has anyone seen a red horse lately?
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(05-30-2020, 09:21 PM)M.Linoge Wrote: When it rains, it pours.

Plague, locus, probable famine. Has anyone seen a red horse lately?

Quote:Officials quoted by the Indian media say thousands of Chinese troops have forced their way into the Galwan valley in Ladakh, in the disputed Kashmir region.

Indian leaders and military strategists have clearly been left stunned.

The reports say that in early May, Chinese forces put up tents, dug trenches and moved heavy equipment several kilometres inside what had been regarded by India as its territory. The move came after India built a road several hundred kilometres long connecting to a high-altitude forward air base which it reactivated in 2008.

The message from China appears clear to observers in Delhi - this is not a routine incursion.

"The situation is serious. The Chinese have come into territory which they themselves accepted as part of India. It has completely changed the status quo," says Ajai Shukla, an Indian military expert who served as a colonel in the army.

China takes a different view, saying it's India which has changed facts on the ground.

Reports in the Indian media said soldiers from the two sides clashed on at least two occasions in Ladakh. Stand-offs are reported in at least three locations: the Galwan valley; Hot Springs; and Pangong lake to the south.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52852509
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • M.Linoge