Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
identify that song without fail

Okay so the way it works is we go as long as possible without someone naming a song nobody on the forum has heard of.  Demonstrate you know of the song in some clear way, by giving a lyric or naming the singer or better yet giving some personal identifying context ("that was my favorite song!") etc.  The goal is to not name an obscure song no one has heard of.  The goal is not to outsmart the forum but to move to the next song.  Game ends when a song is named no one knows.  Of course no resort to google.

I will begin with a good example:

"Yesterday"
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

George Martin, the Beatles' producer, arranged the string in a live recording in Abbey Road Studios. Macca singing, of course, and fingerpicking. No other Beatles appeared on that song.

My offering:

If the guitar tone on the solo doesn't get you going, check yourself in. Starts @ 3:29
On hiatus.

Man if it was just you and me it would be game over. I have heard that song and that riff a million times but I would never have been able to identify song or artist lol. I take it someone else can, and can continue the game...?
  • Thumpalumpacus

"Baker Street" was released as a single here in Australia 1978, where it reached No 1 overnight,
and included one of the most recognisable saxophone solos in modern music.  This sax solo was
also played by Lisa on The Simpsons.  And Baker Street,  the same one,  is also where Sherlock Homes
lived, at No 221B —which street number didn't actually exist until the 1930s.

Mine...    "21st Century Schizoid Man"
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, abaris

Y'all can't pick easier songs?! The goal is to pick the easiest songs possible!

(05-24-2020, 03:01 AM)SYZ Wrote: "Baker Street" was released as a single here in Australia 1978, where it reached No 1 overnight,
and included one of the most recognisable saxophone solos in modern music.  This sax solo was
also played by Lisa on The Simpsons.  And Baker Street,  the same one,  is also where Sherlock Homes
lived, at No 221B —which street number didn't actually exist until the 1930s.

Mine...    "21st Century Schizoid Man"

King Crimson helps invent prog-rock ... plus, the album (In the Court of the Crimson King) has some of the creepiest art you'll ever see:

[Image: 220px-In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-...cover.jpeg]

Next up: "La Macarena".
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

Ah, the Democratic Convention in 1996, where that played incessantly, and Al Gore brought the house down with "I would like to demonstrate for you the Al Gore version of the Macarena." (stands absolutely motionless for about ten seconds) "Would you like to see it again?"  If he'd've loosened up on the campaign trail like that, things might have been very different.

Let's go with Harry Nilsson's 'Coconut':
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

(05-24-2020, 02:46 PM)trdsf Wrote: Ah, the Democratic Convention in 1996, where that played incessantly, and Al Gore brought the house down with "I would like to demonstrate for you the Al Gore version of the Macarena." (stands absolutely motionless for about ten seconds) "Would you like to see it again?"  If he'd've loosened up on the campaign trail like that, things might have been very different.

Let's go with Harry Nilsson's 'Coconut':

I don't know hit about that song except that it drives me nuts, and not in a good way. Oh, and Harry Nilsson hung out with Lennon during the latter's "Lost Year".

I'll let someone else come up with a non-stumper.
On hiatus.

I still haven't figured out this game. I'm so confused!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

OK, I think I catch on.  Stairway To Heaven...

Damn, that's almost trickier than obscure songs...

You think weird.  That's good.

The idea is to basically name the top 500 songs, LOL!

I add it because that was my first song in college while stoned. I leaned against the wall and slid down. *I* thought I was gently floating down into a verdant valley. In reality, I fell on the floor.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(05-26-2020, 05:16 AM)Dānu Wrote: I still haven't figured out this game.  I'm so confused!

Yeah, it's a slippery little eel. I gather it's supposed to be about naming a song we may all know, but know little about. I dunno, you'd have to ask Jerry but it seems like he's on a walkabout or something.
On hiatus.
  • Cavebear

(05-26-2020, 01:02 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 05:16 AM)Dānu Wrote: I still haven't figured out this game.  I'm so confused!

Yeah, it's a slippery little eel. I gather it's supposed to be about naming a song we may all know, but know little about. I dunno, you'd have to ask Jerry but it seems like he's on a walkabout or something.

I think it is about naming a song most people will know and how it relates to them. But it really has to be a song most people know. Almost an earworm?

Like Sonny and Cher's 'I Got You, Babe'? I really liked the way they seemed to relate. I was wrong, but it seemed that way at the time. I was hopeful for a relationship like they seemed to have.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Mmmm. Okay.

This Otis Redding song was recorded by Redding twice in 1967, including once just days before his death in a plane crash. The song was released on Stax Records' Volt label in 1968, becoming the first posthumous single to top the charts in the US. It reached number 3 on the UK Singles Chart.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Oh, wait. Maybe I've got this. Let's try again.

"One of Harry Nilsson's three biggest hits, one of his most recognizable hits featured prominently in the movie Midnight Cowboy, which is one of my favorite movies, and featured an incredible impromptu line from Dustin Hoffman when an errant cab nearly ran him over while filming. That song was the iconic, Everybody's Talkin'"

Vivekananda

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear, the idea is just to name a song you think as many people have heard of as possible, and we see how long it lasts before the songs slowly get obscure until finally we are stumped.  Now, how to confirm that you know the song that the person above you mentioned?  This is kind of on the honor system, you could name the singer or describe something you know about it, anything really, we will trust that you are able to play a few bars of the song in your head.  For example, "Macarena" was good and all the next person would need to say is something like "That popular dance song where everybody does the same hand motions"  though what TRDSF wrote was even better.

The next thing to leave should have been just the name of the song, "Coconut."  (I didn't know that one even with the video).  Thump knew of the song, so game continues.

How about a reset?  Somebody name a popular song everybody or at least somebody knows of.  (song only, no info)
  • Dānu

I just noticed the title of the thread is "Identify this song without." Lol. I meant "Identify this song without fail" but somehow messed that up, which might have helped a tad.

Okay, I will reset: "Smells like Teen Spirit"
  • Thumpalumpacus

I'm going with "Happy Birthday."
On hiatus.

The famous song everyone sings when it's your birthday, whether it's happy or not.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit"

The first single off Nirvana's groundbreaking 'Nevermind' album, I was an early adopter, so I had a copy early on. One day my friends were over at my house gaming, and my friend Randy was relating how somebody at the car wash had stolen a cassette tape he wanted to listen to earlier, and he was po'ed. I had made him a tape copy of the CD earlier just as a gift and I presented to him as he was telling his story, to which his response was, "Well, I guess now I'm somewhat mollified...." lol. The album Nevermind was most people's introduction to a new genre, grunge.

Back In Black.

Vivekananda

If you've watched an American football game, you've heard these two songs. One came out in 1980, the other in 1981. One is usually used during kickoffs, the other to give the stadium crowd something to listen to while the game is paused for a commercial break. I've heard it after TDs, too.

One artist was huge at the time, the other later became huge. Artists and titles, please.
On hiatus.

I think we still have some disagreement about how this game is played. My understanding of jerry's instructions is that somebody names a song, and the next person says something relating to that song to demonstrate that they are familiar with the song, and deposits the title of the next song. Thump appears to think it's a guessing game, which is considerably harder.

The only football song I can think of off the top of my head is Blur's "Song 2" but that's from 1997.

Vivekananda

The songs I had in mind were "Start Me Up" from the Stones, and "Crazy Train" from Ozzy.
On hiatus.

I know that song.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu

(05-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Dānu Wrote: The first single off Nirvana's groundbreaking 'Nevermind' album, I was an early adopter, so I had a copy early on.  One day my friends were over at my house gaming, and my friend Randy was relating how somebody at the car wash had stolen a cassette tape he wanted to listen to earlier, and he was po'ed.  I had made him a tape copy of the CD earlier just as a gift and I presented to him as he was telling his story, to which his response was, "Well, I guess now I'm somewhat mollified...."  lol.  The album Nevermind was most people's introduction to a new genre, grunge.

Back In Black.

AC/DC, great song, great album.  Album cover if I remember was just black.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

(05-28-2020, 05:45 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 02:57 PM)Dānu Wrote: The first single off Nirvana's groundbreaking 'Nevermind' album, I was an early adopter, so I had a copy early on.  One day my friends were over at my house gaming, and my friend Randy was relating how somebody at the car wash had stolen a cassette tape he wanted to listen to earlier, and he was po'ed.  I had made him a tape copy of the CD earlier just as a gift and I presented to him as he was telling his story, to which his response was, "Well, I guess now I'm somewhat mollified...."  lol.  The album Nevermind was most people's introduction to a new genre, grunge.

Back In Black.

AC/DC, great song, great album.  Album cover if I remember was just black.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

An annoying song from an annoying album. Allegedly titled from a drawing Lennon's son brought home from kindergarten bearing the same title. It has the benefit of inspiring songs that were much better. Here's one: "Black Hole Sun".
On hiatus.
  • jerry mcmasters