Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official Insomnia Thread

Well, lately I haven't been sleeping.  I woke up last night and was awake thinking, my head was whirrling with activity.   I've logged onto this forum at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning and I notice other people are posting stuff.  Even with the timezone differences some of you yokels are awake in the middle of the night, aren't you?  

Scared
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

For the most part I'm sleeping fairly well--but that's been a conscious effort of doing a few evening restorative stretches, listening to relaxing music, going to bed/waking at a set time, and not watching the news or anything triggering before bed. I also try to limit my exposure to the goings on in the world to no more than 5-10 minutes a day. My significant other, who's a political junkie, fills me in on anything of importance.  I still have nights on occasion--like last night-where I don't sleep well.  But I try to practice self care the next day to accomodate the lack of night's sleep.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I have a habit of waking up between 3 and 4 am. I drink two cups of coffee with supper and sometimes get to sleep after 10 PM.

And I still wake up between 3 and 4.

It's driving me sane.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ, Dancefortwo

(05-19-2020, 07:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Even with the timezone differences some of you yokels are awake in the middle of the night, aren't you?  

Scared

Often, especially during the summer.  Popcorn
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • Dancefortwo

As I've explained previously, I have a major sleep dysfunction/circadian rhythm disorder which, put simply,
means I have a "rolling" sleep pattern, or N-24 as it's sometimes called.

Strangely enough though, I have no issues with sleep onset, or sleep maintenance, which are both usual
symptoms of so-called insomnia.  I also have to take a psychoactive (hypnotic) drug in order to fall asleep,
as I have been every night/day for around 15 years.

Before you take any psychoactive drug, particularly benzodiazepines or barbiturates, or any of the Z-drugs,
it's critical you consult with a physician, plus him/her regularly monitoring you for any signs of addiction.

It's often claimed that regular use of these drugs often leads to "drug tolerance." That is, the body adjusts
to them, and it takes a higher and higher dose to achieve the desired effect.  That doesn't apply to me due
to my having a diagnosed high drug-uptake resistance.           Which at times can be not  a good thing LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Bcat, Dancefortwo, M.Linoge

Paging @c172

Smile

(05-19-2020, 09:10 PM)SYZ Wrote: As I've explained previously, I have a major sleep dysfunction/circadian rhythm disorder which, put simply,
means I have a "rolling" sleep pattern, or N-24 as it's sometimes called.

That sounds exactly like what I have. It's worse in the summer since the heat and light are nearly paralyzing at their zenit - which is why I didn't think it was a condition by itself, rather an extension of my other sensitivities. Whatever cycle I have in spring is wrenched into a reverse of a normal day-sleep cycle usually around this time. But it's been colder and cloudier this year than any I can remember so it hasn't really happened yet. 

I used to have problem falling asleep; before I realized thinking about naked people helps. I don't know why. I have recited alphabets and done hours worth of mathematical formulas in my head to exhaust myself, waiting to nod off. I counted 5800 sheep once to definitely conclude that method doesn't work. 
Nothing really does, except...

You seem more normal than me, but who knows. If you have trouble, try it.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 1 user Likes M.Linoge's post:
  • SYZ

(05-19-2020, 09:18 PM)skyking Wrote: Paging @c172

Smile

Yeah, I'm here.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I couldn't sleep because of a nagging sinus headache for the last week and a half.  Turns out I have a sinus infection.  The antibiotics finally started working today and I fell asleep this afternoon. It was one of those deep naps that when you wake up you can't remember what day it is or where you are.  It took me a half an hour to get myself truly awake but when I finally got up I felt so much better.  I hope to sleep better tonight.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

(05-19-2020, 07:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Well, lately I haven't been sleeping.  I woke up last night and was awake thinking, my head was whirrling with activity.   I've logged onto this forum at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning and I notice other people are posting stuff.  Even with the timezone differences some of you yokels are awake in the middle of the night, aren't you?  

Scared

Yup.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.

I've had insomnia since childhood I sleep well on average 1 night in 20 if I'm lucky, sleeping tablets stop working after a few days or require increasing amounts to the point of absurdity so I have to live with it. It's got to the point where I'm really miserable and would seriously consider self euthanizia (for which I have a plan) it's coming and pretty soon too I reckon. 45+ years of dealing with this shit and I'm sick of it one day I will summon up the nerve to drink that laurel water.
Justaminute   The whole point of having cake is to eat it! 
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Dancefortwo, SYZ

(05-19-2020, 09:10 PM)SYZ Wrote: Before you take any psychoactive drug, particularly benzodiazepines or barbiturates, or any of the Z-drugs,
it's critical you consult with a physician, plus him/her regularly monitoring you for any signs of addiction.

We don't get them anyway without a prescription from a doctor. They're strictly regulated. Yes, I'm taking them also because of sleep issues. Without them I wake up every one or two hours.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • SYZ

I tend to be up late, and my napping habits are a little unusual, but I haven't been troubled by insomnia in quite some time. Back when I was having chronic depression, I had insomnia all the time. I guess this is a part of being well, mentally.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

(05-19-2020, 07:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Even with the timezone differences some of you yokels are awake in the middle of the night, aren't you?  

Scared

I'm not sure where you live, but on my nights off from work I'm always here. I work the overnight shift, so when I'm off work I keep the same schedule when I'm working. I just don't post here when I'm working the overnight shift, because I'm actually working. Monday-Wednesday nights are my nights off from work.