Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we rename the forum?

Can we rename the forum?
To something like Trump Discussion, American Discussion, or simply Fuck Trump and be done with it.

Seeing as there isn't a single attempt at discussing *anything* that doesn't sooner or later (read: immediately) become about American politics. On the other hand, how dare we want to talk about science, art and the 99.9999999999999999999999999% of things in the world that do not involve America.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 11 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat, LastPoet, TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus, skyking, tomilay, Tres Leches, Mr Greene, Aliza, Ferdinand

Can we rename the forum?
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Vera

Can we rename the forum?
I agree 100 percent. It would be nice to have a Trump only thread where people can discuss all things Trump to their hearts content. I understand why people want to discuss Trump but there are other topics to talk about. I have started random threads that have nothing to do with Trump and yet Trump somehow gets posted in there. There are so many other things to talk about...especially on a forum that allows postings of so many different types of topic threads.
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Vera, SYZ

Can we rename the forum?
As a Portuguese I agree, we have exciting politics! *falls asleep*.
The following 7 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23, Alan V, Vera, Inkubus, Unsapien, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
I have nothing good to say about this thread.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • c172

Can we rename the forum?
History, art and food: discuss!  Winking  Big Grin
[Image: 8500-NUeRNBERG-Brtwurstgloecklein-Nuernb...-light.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 4 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Bcat, Vera, brewerb, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
Maybe if we had Minimal disruptions?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Vera, c172, Chas, Cavebear

Can we rename the forum?
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Vera, Dom

Can we rename the forum?
http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/foru...hp?fid=103
On hiatus.

Can we rename the forum?
http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...p?tid=5306

But I do sincerely apologise for trying to talk about something that I thought was interesting when it had nothing to do with America. I won't make the same mistake again Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ, Aliza

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 05:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/foru...hp?fid=103

I started a thread called Vocabulary Words under that heading.  Here's one post.  I love you SYZ Smile   Heart I'm just using your post to illustrate Vera's point:

"Donald Trump's speeches show an inevitably jejune quality, and provide the American public with little factual information regarding coronavirus."

As I say this post was just an example and by no means is my stating that Syz only talks about Trump.  He typically only talks about Australia  Deadpan Coffee Drinker Joking!!  Heart  Smile
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • SYZ

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 04:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Maybe if we had Minimal disruptions?

Dream on.  When Fuckface stops screwing up the climate, the economy, the pandemic and world peace then perhaps his influence will diminish.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote: http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...p?tid=5306

But I do sincerely apologise for trying to talk about something that I thought was interesting when it had nothing to do with America. I won't make the same mistake again Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I read your link to other thread about the encephalitis epidemic and I remember reading about that years ago.  
First, I apologize for bringing this topic up again  -----> Modest ------>  girl blushing -----> sorry, sorry, sorry....... but I guess the difference between other pandemics and this one is that it's being used as a wedge by a particular politician (who shall remain nameless) to create a social and political civil war in one of the largest countries in the world. For all intents and purposes we, here are in the midst of a civil war.   It permeates every aspect of life and every topic is seen through the lense of this event that surrounds us.  

If you were to read letters from people living though the American Civil War you'd probably find most had some reference to the Civil War and I would imagine this would be true of other nations who have lived through tumultous times.   

On the positive side, I'm planning on starting a thread about insomnia.  On the negative side,  part of why I'm not sleeping is because of a certain orange narcissist.   Sadcryface  

Oh dear  Weeping  I'm soooo sorry, Vera.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ, Chas, Bucky Ball, Aliza

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 05:20 PM)Bcat Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/foru...hp?fid=103

I started a thread called Vocabulary Words under that heading.  Here's one post.  I love you SYZ... I'm just using your post to illustrate Vera's point:

"Donald Trump's speeches show an inevitably jejune quality, and provide the American public with little factual information regarding coronavirus."

As I say this post was just an example and by no means is my stating that Syz only talks about Trump.  He typically only talks about Australia... 

Thank you kindly Ms Bee.     Hug       (Jejune was Szuchow's word to use in a sentence.)

I can only agree with the thrust of Vera's comment re the overload of "Trump" posts on our forum.  
I checked and found that as of 20 May, there are 620 pages, each of 25 posts (15,500 in total) that
reference Trump the man, his administration, or the incompetency of both.

Trump's name even appears in threads totally unrelated to America or its caretaker President.     Dodgy
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Bcat, Dancefortwo

Can we rename the forum?
Unfortunately, the forum only responds to one name.

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 07:26 PM)no one Wrote: Unfortunately, the forum only responds to one name.

In my cat's case, that name is "Cheese."   Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • skyking

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 07:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote: http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...p?tid=5306

I read your link to other thread about the encephalitis epidemic and I remember reading about that years ago.  
First, I apologize for bringing this topic up again  -----> Modest ------>  girl blushing -----> sorry, sorry, sorry....... but I guess the difference between other pandemics and this one is that it's being used as a wedge by a particular politician (who shall remain nameless) to create a social and political civil war in one of the largest countries in the world. For all intents and purposes we, here are in the midst of a civil war.   It permeates every aspect of life and every topic is seen through the lense of this event that surrounds us.  

If you were to read letters from people living though the American Civil War you'd probably find most had some reference to the Civil War and I would imagine this would be true of other nations who have lived through tumultous times.   

On the positive side, I'm planning on starting a thread about insomnia.  On the negative side,  part of why I'm not sleeping is because of a certain orange narcissist.   Sadcryface  

Oh dear  Weeping  I'm soooo sorry, Vera.

Trump is and should be a topic of conversation, but the nice thing about having various threads of different topics ranging from food to history to art is that it's a nice diversion from what is going on in the world.  On this forum though, American politics shows up in all of these threads.  I bet if I posted a thread on "The Anatomy of the Dancing Banana Smiley" Banana Dance a post about American politics would pop up in there.   Tongue   I'm American and I find it a bit much that American politics winds up in almost every single thread on here.  I can imagine how someone who isn't from this country would feel about being bombarded with American politics in every single thread.
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • SYZ, Inkubus, Vera

Can we rename the forum?
I am quite happy to go for days and days and never say beetlejuice. I agree with your sentiments, Vera.
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • Alan V, Vera, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 06:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 04:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Maybe if we had Minimal disruptions?

Dream on.  When Fuckface stops screwing up the climate, the economy, the pandemic and world peace then perhaps his influence will diminish.
So you'll keep screwing the forum then?

Can we rename the forum?
Suggestion: Any post that mentions "that person" should be moved to the Politics sub.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, Alan V, Cavebear

Can we rename the forum?

But if you could not derail every conversation towards Trump when he's not being discussed or relevant then it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 05:20 PM)Bcat Wrote:

I started a thread called Vocabulary Words under that heading.  Here's one post.  I love you SYZ Smile   Heart I'm just using your post to illustrate Vera's point:

As I say this post was just an example and by no means is my stating that Syz only talks about Trump.  He typically only talks about Australia  Deadpan Coffee Drinker Joking!!  Heart  Smile

Of course. I'm just pointing out that there's discussion of the arts and lit that don't involve Trump.

Yes, it's annoying that he invades so many threads.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ, TheGentlemanBastard

Can we rename the forum?
@Minimalist does a lot of this, adding Trumpian stuff to unrelated threads. I have to say that it is really annoying. Sometimes threads lead there because trump appears to have his tiny fingers in everything. But other times, it's just unrelated and belongs in the trump thread.

Maybe we can start marking some threads with "topical" in the title, and those will have to stay on topic.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 5 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dancefortwo, SYZ, jerry mcmasters, Vera, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?

Min, you and I share the same hatred for Idiot.  If I had a gun and he was in my sights I'd take one for the team and put him out of our misery so I appreciate why you feel the way you do but there are some topics that should be "sans trump".  Sometimes I'll be reading a thread and I'll be very, very tempted to make a trump joke but I hold myself back.   Just sayin.
                                                         T4618

Can we rename the forum?
OR we could just not be jerks.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking, TheGentlemanBastard, Vera