Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020: The Year of Disasters?

It has certainly been one thing after another.  I predict that after the coming Killer Hornet Horror Show (Trump will suggest we all just drink Raid®), the next one will be the supervolcano under Yellowstone National Park will blow.  (It is said to be due, even overdue.)  Sadcryface 

And looking at our new "Where is our AD family?" map, all I can say is that brewerb, Gawdzilla, Thump, Min, and Bucky won't make it.  Sorry, fellas.  Sad
For the rest of us, it'll be no cakewalk, but those poor guys are stone dead.  Weeping

And depending on the winds, Skyking won't be flying anywhere, and the jet stream might make trouble for Astreja.

[Image: Yellowstone-Eruption-Danger-zones.jpg?re...C720&ssl=1]
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Mr Greene, Phaedrus

Dude, I'm not even in the yellow, don't write me off this early.
On hiatus.

Gee Chas, this sounds like fun. Just what I needed to hear.  You're such a optimistic guy, so uplifting with your cheerful predictions and all.  Nod 

Tongue Wink
                                                         T4618

And you can bet your ass that the 9 shitheads who are left alive in Wyoming will still demand TWO senators!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(05-18-2020, 05:13 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Gee Chas, this sounds like fun. Just what I needed to hear.  You're such a optimistic guy, so uplifting with your cheerful predictions and all.  Nod 

Tongue Wink

I bring joy to the fearful and light unto the darkness.  Smile
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Ask me on November 4th if it is a year of disasters or not.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

(05-18-2020, 05:01 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Dude, I'm not even in the yellow, don't write me off this early.

It depends on the character of the blast and the weather pattern.  There have been eruptions every 200,000 years on average and there are maps for many.
I didn't have the energy to find and post a bunch.  

You don't fare too badly in the pictured scenario, but in some you're a crispy critter. Big Grin
― Napoleon Bonaparte

I first learned about this around 2000. A conspiracy-minded, end of the world type. asked me about it. I didn't know about supervolcanoes, but agreed to find out. And the more I checked legitimate science sites, the less happy I was. There WERE supervolcano eruptions around the world. I knew about the Siberian and Deccan Trappes, and the Lake Toba eruption that may have almost brought humans to extinction, but not there were more modern threats. I learned that the ground at the Yellowstone lake was shifting from one side to another.

But I also learned that the Yellowstone Supervolcano erupted only sporadically avareaging only every 600k years. So in one sense, it is overdue. In another, it could be easily be tens of thousands of years before another eruption if ever. Some mantle plumes just stop.

It eased her mind. She said she knew she could count on me to give her scientific information. I'm glad I eased her mind. She heard "ten's of thousands of years" and stopped worrying about it.

But now I'M worried. It could start again tomorrow. And so could some large asteroid coming around at us close to the sun so we can't do anything about it, and some pandemic we don't even know about next year.

Who is going to ease MY mind?
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(05-18-2020, 05:22 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 05:01 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Dude, I'm not even in the yellow, don't write me off this early.

It depends on the character of the blast and the weather pattern.  There have been eruptions every 200,000 years on average and there are maps for many.

You don't fare too badly in the pictured scenario, but in some you're a crispy critter.  Big Grin

If Fuckface wins the volcano seems like a viable option.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Chas

Quote:Who is going to ease MY mind?

[Image: biden-share-1200x630.jpg]

You don't fare too badly in the pictured scenario, but in some you're a crispy critter.  Big Grin

A country boy can survive ... [Image: J8MStfK.gif]
On hiatus.

(05-18-2020, 06:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

A country boy can survive ... [Image: J8MStfK.gif]

You won't survive breathing micro-glass particles into your lungs.

(05-18-2020, 05:40 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Who is going to ease MY mind?

Grim This guy?

Or maybeGandalf
No gods necessary

(05-18-2020, 06:50 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 05:40 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Who is going to ease MY mind?

Grim This guy?

Or maybeGandalf

Nope!

Yellowstone. We're talking geologic time here. I'm not even slightly worried. The New Madrid Fault, however, has a much tighter cycle. However, the land I live on is a granite prominence that even the great glaciers couldn't budge. I just need to be ready for 3-6 months with no/low services. Covered.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear, Dancefortwo

(05-18-2020, 10:00 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Yellowstone. We're talking geologic time here. I'm not even slightly worried. The New Madrid Fault, however, has a much tighter cycle. However, the land I live on is a granite prominence that even the great glaciers couldn't budge. I just need to be ready for 3-6 months with no/low services. Covered.

THAT was the one I was forgetting. I'm ready to grab the cats and my "go backpack" to drive to a mountain about that.

"The year the Mississippi ran backwards."
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(05-18-2020, 10:12 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "The year the Mississippi ran backwards."

Yeah the New Madrid Earthquake really messed up the area...

(05-18-2020, 10:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:12 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "The year the Mississippi ran backwards."

And not even geologic times.

Quote:The 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes were a series of intense intraplate earthquakes beginning with an initial earthquake of moment magnitude 7.2–8.2 on December 16, 1811, followed by a moment magnitude 7.4 aftershock on the same day. Two additional earthquakes of similar magnitude followed in January and February 1812. They remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the contiguous United States east of the Rocky Mountains in recorded history. The earthquakes, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, then part of the Louisiana Territory and now within the U.S. state of Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E2%80...arthquakes

I was born a few miles from New Madrid. Not at fault for the quake.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus

(05-18-2020, 10:46 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 10:27 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

And not even geologic times.

Quote:The 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes were a series of intense intraplate earthquakes beginning with an initial earthquake of moment magnitude 7.2–8.2 on December 16, 1811, followed by a moment magnitude 7.4 aftershock on the same day. Two additional earthquakes of similar magnitude followed in January and February 1812. They remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the contiguous United States east of the Rocky Mountains in recorded history.  The earthquakes, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, then part of the Louisiana Territory and now within the U.S. state of Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E2%80...arthquakes

I was born a few miles from New Madrid. Not at fault for the quake.

I don't even KNOW how to sark THAT one friendishly... Maybe your grandfather was to blame? You crack me up sometimes.

I had a friend who's immediate and reflexive response to ANY problem was "not my fault". I never met a more insecure guy. But he earned it. His mom was rabidly christian and his dad was very jewish. And apparently he was blamed for their divorce. I stayed friends with him for 40 years, but he finally wore me out.

You forget that Lush Rimjob was born same day/month/year as me and within twenty miles of me. So it's obviously his ... fault.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

Not to worry. trump says he has top notch scientific-like individuals working hard to synthesize the kryptonite to defeat these media dubbed "super" volcanoes.

(05-18-2020, 11:31 AM)no one Wrote: Not to worry. trump says he has top notch scientific-like individuals working hard to synthesize the kryptonite to defeat these media dubbed "super" volcanoes.
To be fair Yellowstone won't spew as much shit as T.rump does in one press conference. Aggravated

(05-18-2020, 11:28 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You forget that Lush Rimjob was born same day/month/year as me and within twenty miles of me. So it's obviously his ... fault.

Of course. How stupid of me to not know that you and Rush were neighbors. Who would not just know that? I don't know where you live (even if you might have mentioned it some time), and I sure don't know where an idiot like Rush L lives. I don't bother with such details.

I am temporarily pissed at you for thinking I SHOULD know or care...

(05-18-2020, 11:45 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 11:28 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You forget that Lush Rimjob was born same day/month/year as me and within twenty miles of me. So it's obviously his ... fault.

Of course.  How stupid of me to not know that you and Rush were neighbors.  Who would not just know that?  I don't know where you live (even if you might have mentioned it some time), and I sure don't know where an idiot like Rush L lives.  I don't bother with such details.

I am temporarily pissed at you for thinking I SHOULD know or care...

The single greatest refutation of astrology in history and you're miffed?