Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairy Census. Fairy Census? Fairy Census!

http://www.fairyist.com/survey/

"The Fairy Census is an attempt to gather, scientifically, the details of as many fairy sightings from the last century as possible and to measure, in an associated survey, contemporary attitudes to fairies. The census was inspired by an earlier fairy census carried out by Marjorie Johnson and Alasdair Alpin MacGregor in 1955/1956, a census that was published in 2014.

There are two (anonymous) census forms: one for witness accounts and one for second-hand accounts (experiences of grandma, uncle, friend etc). Confidentiality is assured and, in the case of publication, personal details will be changed to assure anonymity. Note, however, that by filling out these forms you approve their use in an academic survey."

---- 

No fairies down here in South Texas.  The coyotes, raccoons and wild hogs seem to have eaten most of them.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V

They need another form for the fairies who may wish to be counted.
Test

Used to be lots of fairies. Now they're just people.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

What definition of "fairey" are they using?

On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • brewerb, OakTree500, Free

Oh, yeah...

[Image: 201812131026220596762.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Do any of you know the account of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the writer of all things logical (Sherlock Holmes) and the Cottingley Fairies?  Ah, I bet you don't.  This is so funny.  During the late Victorian and early Edwardian Era faries were all the rage.  Painters everywhere were painting fairies.  The Pre-Raphaelites were hugly into painting fairies.   So a couple of giggly young girls from Yorkshire got the fun idea to take a photograph in the woods and superenposed some fairies onto a photograph and pass it off as real.  For it's time it looks pretty good.  Here it is.......

[Image: fairies.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1600&h=900&crop=1] 

Here's a couple more.

[Image: cot3small.jpg]

[Image: cot4small.jpg]

Fairies in a coccoon.  Yeah, that's what that is....sure it is.  Nod

[Image: fairy_51.jpg]

.........that's one of the girls in the photograph.   Anyway, Sir Arthur Doyle thought they were real and got all excited about it and wrote to colleagues about this amazing discovery! 

Quote:This is especially remarkable as it contains a feature quite unknown to the girls. The sheath or cocoon appearing in the middle of the grasses had not been seen by them before, and they had no idea what it was. Fairy observers of Scotland and the New Forest, however, were familiar with it and described it as a magnetic bath, woven very quickly by the fairies and used after dull weather, in the autumn especially. The interior seems to be magnetised in some manner that stimulates and pleases.

There are people who still believe these photo's are real.  Bahahaha.   James Randi did a video about this hoax.  Bahahahaha! 

A sucker born every minute. 

Edit:  The video doesn't seem to play so here's a link to where you can read about this sillyness and watch the Randi video. 

http://www.openculture.com/2013/01/arthu...olmes.html

Still makes me laugh, hahahahahaha.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Ah yes. The wonderful Cottingley fairies. One of the great farces of the ages. Long before Photoshop, a 16 year old little lady (who worked at a photographers lab) pulled off a silly hoax that still fools many who WANT to believe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/photography/...ries-tale/
And in the cool, dim bowels of the rooms at the Science and Media Museum in Bradford, where the artefacts linked to this fascinating, enduring tale are stored, Michael Terwey takes a similarly pragmatic view. “You have to remember that Elsie wasn’t a child at the time, he says. “She actually had a job, working for a photographic studio in Bradford, where she touched up photographs.

“She had some technical knowledge, and here we have drawings she did of fairies that show she was a pretty good artist.”
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

Drawings?

(05-02-2020, 05:22 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Drawings?

These are the inspiration for their fairy drawings they used in the photographs.  

[Image: CottingleyFairies-PrincessMary2_gobeirne.png]

There's a movie about this incident but it looks like the story has been Disney-fied.  Blah! 

Here are the two ladies, now elderly, who pulled of the hoax back when they were girls.  Just having a bit of fun, they were.  Nod

T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking

I thought they cut those out of a children's book?

The idea of "fairies" is even dumber than the idea of deities.  But I will admit they are "cuter" (have you ever seen a depiction of a happy deity)?

And yeah, I suppose here comes a series of "cheerful deities"...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(05-02-2020, 05:55 PM)Cavebear Wrote: The idea of "fairies" is even dumber than the idea of deities.  But I will admit they are "cuter" (have you ever seen a depiction of a happy deity)?

And yeah, I suppose here comes a series of "cheerful deities"...
Lots of laughing Buddhas, not much else.

Waiting for the Castro District jokes. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(05-02-2020, 08:41 PM)brewerb Wrote: Waiting for the Castro District jokes. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
I talked a couple of young recruits into visiting Castro St. once during Fleet Week. ROFL2 Them farm boys weren't ready for that shit.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • brewerb, skyking

(05-02-2020, 05:06 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Do any of you know the account of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the writer of all things logical (Sherlock Holmes) and the Cottingley Fairies?  Ah, I bet you don't.  This is so funny.  During the late Victorian and early Edwardian Era faries were all the rage.  Painters everywhere were painting fairies.  The Pre-Raphaelites were hugly into painting fairies.   So a couple of giggly young girls from Yorkshire got the fun idea to take a photograph in the woods and superenposed some fairies onto a photograph and pass it off as real.  For it's time it looks pretty good.  Here it is.......

[Image: fairies.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1600&h=900&crop=1] 

Here's a couple more.

[Image: cot3small.jpg]

[Image: cot4small.jpg]

Fairies in a coccoon.  Yeah, that's what that is....sure it is.  Nod

[Image: fairy_51.jpg]

.........that's one of the girls in the photograph.   Anyway, Sir Arthur Doyle thought they were real and got all excited about it and wrote to colleagues about this amazing discovery! 

Quote:This is especially remarkable as it contains a feature quite unknown to the girls. The sheath or cocoon appearing in the middle of the grasses had not been seen by them before, and they had no idea what it was. Fairy observers of Scotland and the New Forest, however, were familiar with it and described it as a magnetic bath, woven very quickly by the fairies and used after dull weather, in the autumn especially. The interior seems to be magnetised in some manner that stimulates and pleases.

There are people who still believe these photo's are real.  Bahahaha.   James Randi did a video about this hoax.  Bahahahaha! 

A sucker born every minute. 

Edit:  The video doesn't seem to play so here's a link to where you can read about this sillyness and watch the Randi video. 

http://www.openculture.com/2013/01/arthu...olmes.html

Still makes me laugh, hahahahahaha.

I read about that as a kid ... helped to sharpen my bullshit-detector.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-02-2020, 08:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 08:41 PM)brewerb Wrote: Waiting for the Castro District jokes. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
I talked a couple of young recruits into visiting Castro St. once during Fleet Week.  ROFL2 Them farm boys weren't ready for that shit.

LOL.
I have a friend Helen, (quite the "looker", married to an NHL player), who is a flight attendant and one of her friends, also a flight attendant, (from a farm) were up in LA once. We decided to take them dancing to a famous bar on Santa Monica Boulevard. To Helen it was nothing new, (nor to her husband for that matter), but her friend from the farm .. it was too much. "I knew it was going to be like this" she lamented. The bar wasn't too bad, but the guys screwing in the parking lot was over the top.  Big Grin
Test

Why? Weren't using protection?

(05-02-2020, 10:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 08:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
I talked a couple of young recruits into visiting Castro St. once during Fleet Week.  ROFL2 Them farm boys weren't ready for that shit.

LOL.
I have a friend Helen, (quite the "looker", married to an NHL player), who is a flight attendant and one of her friends, also a flight attendant, (from a farm) were up in LA once. We decided to take them dancing to a famous bar on Santa Monica Boulevard. To Helen it was nothing new, (nor to her husband for that matter), but her friend from the farm .. it was too much. "I knew it was going to be like this" she lamented. The bar wasn't too bad, but the guys screwing in the parking lot was over the top.  Big Grin

"She knew what it meant,
But she went.
Went the lament."

Dumb ass!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(05-02-2020, 10:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The bar wasn't too bad, but the guys screwing in the parking lot was over the top.  Big Grin

Yeah, not many like missionary.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental.