Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New species of ancient human unearthed in the Philippines

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04/...hilippines

Quote:A strange new species may have joined the human family. Human fossils found in a cave on Luzon, the largest island in the Philippines, include tiny molars suggesting their owners were small; curved finger and toe bones hint that they climbed trees. Homo luzonensis, as the species has been christened, lived some 50,000 to 80,000 years ago, when the world hosted multiple archaic humans, including Neanderthals and Denisovans, and when H. sapiens may have been making its first forays into Southeast Asia.

“This is a truly sensational finding,” says Adam Brumm, an archaeologist at Griffith University in Nathan, Australia. The paper, published this week in Nature, “sent shivers down my spine.”

The discovery echoes that of another unusual ancient hominin—the diminutive H. floresiensis, or “hobbit,” found on the island of Flores in Indonesia. “One is interesting. Two is a pattern,” says Jeremy DeSilva, an expert on Homo foot bones at Dartmouth College. He and others suspect the islands of Southeast Asia may have been a cradle of diversity for ancient humans, and that H. luzonensis, like H. floresiensis, may have evolved small body size in isolation on an island.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 9 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, Aegon, Mark, Paleophyte, brunumb, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Aroura, Dancefortwo

Well done, you evolutionary dead ends.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I renew my standing objection to the kneejerk classification of every new bone that is found as somehow being a different "species."

Aside from that, interesting find.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(04-13-2020, 04:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I renew my standing objection to the kneejerk classification of every new bone that is found as somehow being a different "species."

Legit investigators would use "sub-species".
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-13-2020, 04:13 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 04:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I renew my standing objection to the kneejerk classification of every new bone that is found as somehow being a different "species."

Legit investigators would use "sub-species".

And ID investigators would use "new kind".
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist, Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus

(04-13-2020, 03:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04/...hilippines

Quote:A strange new species may have joined the human family. Human fossils found in a cave on Luzon, the largest island in the Philippines, include tiny molars suggesting their owners were small; curved finger and toe bones hint that they climbed trees. Homo luzonensis, as the species has been christened, lived some 50,000 to 80,000 years ago, when the world hosted multiple archaic humans, including Neanderthals and Denisovans, and when H. sapiens may have been making its first forays into Southeast Asia.

“This is a truly sensational finding,” says Adam Brumm, an archaeologist at Griffith University in Nathan, Australia. The paper, published this week in Nature, “sent shivers down my spine.”

The discovery echoes that of another unusual ancient hominin—the diminutive H. floresiensis, or “hobbit,” found on the island of Flores in Indonesia. “One is interesting. Two is a pattern,” says Jeremy DeSilva, an expert on Homo foot bones at Dartmouth College. He and others suspect the islands of Southeast Asia may have been a cradle of diversity for ancient humans, and that H. luzonensis, like H. floresiensis, may have evolved small body size in isolation on an island.

It makes sense that island-dwellers would be smaller.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-15-2020, 12:43 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 03:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04/...hilippines

You got something against island dwellers? Angry
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Wouldn't this be "old species of ancient humans discovered"?

(04-15-2020, 12:49 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: You got something against island dwellers? Angry

You're damned skippy I do. They have these lush tropical forests and white-sand beaches, and live on half-shell oysters and mimosas ... where was I? Oh yeah, limited living spaces like islands tend to have smaller inhabitant species than larger areas. It's why elephants evolved in Africa and not Bermuda. Organisms which can make do with less (i.e. smaller individuals) have a better chance of more individuals surviving to reproductive age in larger numbers, which means that the gene pool can stay richer.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Luzon is not that small an island though.

(04-15-2020, 04:27 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Luzon is not that small an island though.
That's what Yamashira said. Whistling
  • Deesse23

You mean Yamashita?

(04-15-2020, 03:00 PM)Minimalist Wrote: You mean Yamashita?
Him too? How many of those fuckers were there? Facepalm

Not enough to win.

(04-15-2020, 03:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Not enough to win.
Somebody should have told them. Aggravated

(04-15-2020, 12:43 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Kinda like the Bison on the island of Catalina which are a little smaller than mainland bison.   A film crew back in 1924 was making a Zane Grey movie called The Vanishing American which called for a scene with a bison.  They filmed on Catalina and brought over 14 bison but then the film ran out of money and didn't transport them back, just left them there.  So now there's a few hundred  bison roaming around Catalina. They're a little smaller because they don't have the huge grasslands of the prairie to chow down on, I guess.   It's not a different species but it's a funny story.

Twenty-six miles across the bay,
Santa Catalina is a-waitin for me....

Whistling
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

The wooly mammoth on the Catalinas did the same thing.

(04-15-2020, 04:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The wooly mammoth on the Catalinas did the same thing.

Huh?  Wooly mammoths' were in a silent, 1924  Zane Grey movie??????  Maybe that's why we don't hear much from them anymore.
                                                         T4618

(04-15-2020, 10:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 04:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The wooly mammoth on the Catalinas did the same thing.

Huh?  Wooly mammoths' were in a silent, 1924  Zane Grey movie??????  Maybe that's why we don't hear much from them anymore.
I made no such inference. Dodgy

(04-15-2020, 10:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I made no such inference.  Dodgy

I know.  But I made the inference just for the fun of it.  We need a few ha-ha's and tee-hee's these days.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(04-15-2020, 10:56 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Huh?  Wooly mammoths' were in a silent, 1924  Zane Grey movie??????  Maybe that's why we don't hear much from them anymore.
I made no such inference.  Dodgy

I know.  But I made the inference just for the fun of it.  We need a few ha-ha's and tee-hee's these days.

Fare 'nuff.