Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
3 easy ways to remember God exist.

1 Kings 8:12 Then Solomon said, "The Lord has said that he would dwell in a dark cloud."
Psalm 18:11 He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him - the dark rain clouds of the sky.
Psalm 97:2 Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.

God sulks in the darkness like a depressed emo kid. Not much light here.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir

(05-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Link Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 10:32 AM)Cavebear Wrote: 1.  If there is no God (which you haven't demonstated other than by an unsupprted claim), then there is no vision to consider.

And if there is no vision to consider, we would not be exactly defined anywhere or who we are would be an illusion. We aren't an illusion.

Quote:2.  What "necessary being" is there if it isn't necessary.? There are better alternate and more understandable explanations for life to exist.

Necessary in the meaning that it cannot but exist. It exists absolutely and necessarily.  His existence is so big, it's absolute, that it covers all possible existence, and hence, exists necessarily.

Quote:3.  No deity is required to appreciate "greatness, beauty, and goodness".  We humans have that capacity in ourselves.

We have the capacity due to light being emitted from God.

Can we just jump ahead to the point where you rage quit, again, for the 50th time or so, and spare us the bullshit. No one here has any interest in the shit you're flinging at the wall, so none of it's going to stick.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Finite Monkeys

(05-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Link Wrote: Necessary in the meaning that it cannot but exist. It exists absolutely and necessarily.  His existence is so big, it's absolute, that it covers all possible existence, and hence, exists necessarily.

Non-sequitur. Assertions with no support. 
If your deity is "necessary", then it's existence is not "sui generis", but required by a larger reality. 
Your god therefore, exists in a larger reality, over which it is neither master nor creator. 
The structure of the reality (which you claim it created) "created all things" now mandates the necessity of it's creator. 
That's ass backwards.  
It can't be the creator of a reality which, a priori, necessitates a being, (itself).
Claiming your god is necessary has consequences you have not taken into account. 
You probably want to revise that one. 
The real question becomes, "Where did the reality come from, from which this necessity arises ?". 
So no. Dead wrong. It's also the definist falacy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definist_fallacy
You can't define a god into existence. Nice try though. Do try harder next time.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • adey67

(05-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Link Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 10:32 AM)Cavebear Wrote: 1.  If there is no God (which you haven't demonstated other than by an unsupprted claim), then there is no vision to consider.

And if there is no vision to consider, we would not be exactly defined anywhere or who we are would be an illusion. We aren't an illusion.

Quote:2.  What "necessary being" is there if it isn't necessary.? There are better alternate and more understandable explanations for life to exist.

Necessary in the meaning that it cannot but exist. It exists absolutely and necessarily.  His existence is so big, it's absolute, that it covers all possible existence, and hence, exists necessarily.

Quote:3.  No deity is required to appreciate "greatness, beauty, and goodness".  We humans have that capacity in ourselves.

We have the capacity due to light being emitted from God.

Your statements are all logically unsound - in every case you assume the conclusion.

If you think they are actually meaningful, I doubt your cognitive abilities.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • SYZ, Mr Greene, Minimalist

(05-04-2020, 09:01 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Link Wrote: And if there is no vision to consider, we would not be exactly defined anywhere or who we are would be an illusion.
We aren't an illusion. Necessary in the meaning that it cannot but exist. It exists absolutely and necessarily.  His
existence is so big, it's absolute, that it covers all possible existence, and hence, exists necessarily. We have the
capacity due to light being emitted from God.

Can we just jump ahead to the point where you rage quit, again, for the 50th time or so, and spare us the bullshit. No one here has any interest in the shit you're flinging at the wall, so none of it's going to stick.

I can only agree.  Delusional, irrational, ill-informed people such as Link are wasting their
time—and ours—by posting their absurd religionist bullshit on sites set up for atheists
and theists who are prepared to debate in meaningful terms and who respect atheists
for their "beliefs".      Personally, I'm not prepared to entertain the continual farrago of
thinly-disguised proselyting from these deranged, pretentious, condescending evangelisers.

Or, put more simply... fuck off Link.       Fuck_Off
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Deesse23

It was Olórin's task to quell pompous men and irrepressible hobbits.  Winking
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(05-05-2020, 10:14 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 09:01 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Link Wrote: And if there is no vision to consider, we would not be exactly defined anywhere or who we are would be an illusion.
We aren't an illusion. Necessary in the meaning that it cannot but exist. It exists absolutely and necessarily.  His
existence is so big, it's absolute, that it covers all possible existence, and hence, exists necessarily. We have the
capacity due to light being emitted from God.

I can only agree.  Delusional, irrational, ill-informed people such as Link are wasting their
time—and ours—by posting their absurd religionist bullshit on sites set up for atheists
and theists who are prepared to debate in meaningful terms and who respect atheists
for their "beliefs".      Personally, I'm not prepared to entertain the continual farrago of
thinly-disguised proselyting from these deranged, pretentious, condescending evangelisers.

Or, put more simply... fuck off Link.       Fuck_Off

Oh, it's worse even than that.

Because Link and so many others go the bullshit route, instead of the debate-in-meaningful-terms route, he interferes with any of his fellow theists who might go the debate-in-meaningful-terms route.

Any theist who might, hypothetically, have an argument or piece of evidence or reasoned debate approach that could convince us would not be able to present it.

Because of people like Link, she would be drowned out by the roar of a thousand theists hawking bullshit instead.  She would be trying to contact us on a channel that we have already tuned out, having confirmed that at a minimum 99.9% of what was coming from it was bullshit, and reasonably concluded that it was just 100% pure, without a shred of merit anywhere to be found in the sea of bullshit.

People like Link, who are either incapable or unwilling to approach the debate competently, who are either incapable or unwilling to vet their own arguments for quality and filter out the bullshit on their own before throwing it at us, prevent any hypothetically competent apologist from making headway, because their arrogance and sloppiness have destroyed the reputation of religion.  (In Link's case, I'm going to guess unwilling.  He COULD put in the effort.  He just doesn't give a shit.)

It's not enough for him to pester us with all the persistence, ethics, and credibility of a robo-caller contacting us every day at 5:30 AM to alert us about our cars' extended warranty.  He has to ruin the chances of everyone else on his side as well.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 2 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Deesse23, mordant

The easiest way to remember that god does not exist is that there is zero evidence for his existence.

Certainly, theists go through the motions of deceiving themselves into thinking god exists, but in the end their hard-earned faith is useless in a realistic world.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V

(04-08-2020, 02:31 PM)Link Wrote: (1) By remembering you can't properly be defined in anywhere but God's vision.
(2) By remembering and seeing he is the Necessary being and hence has to exist and thus does.
(3) By seeing all greatness, beauty, and goodness is from his light and he is the source and that which unifies all beauty, greatness, and goodness.

All good points... But what if God is a female duck-billed platypus? Surely the form to unify all beauty, greatness and goodness!

[Image: IgYBe9.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gaest's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Peebothuhlu

What sort of omnipotent, omnipresent god needs any reminders for us at all? Especially from some online ratbag?
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

3 easy ways to remember God exists is great and all, but...can we get that down to two for convenience? Or one, to be economical?

(05-09-2020, 10:14 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: 3 easy ways to remember God exists is great and all, but...can we get that down to two for convenience?  Or one, to be economical?

How about 0, for honesty?
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 2 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • julep, SYZ

(05-09-2020, 10:14 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: 3 easy ways to remember God exists is great and all, but...can we get that down to two for convenience?  Or one, to be economical?

Um......how about.......he always needs money?  Modest
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, skyking

" I hope you get that virus all squared away soon down there"
" I take no responsibility, just sayin"

Three easy ways to remember God does not exist:

1. He possesses self-contradictory attributes which are inconsistent with how He is defined by mainstream Christianity.  Consider
2. There is absolutely NO rational evidence for His existence.  smirk
3. He has never moved the needle on my Yo, God! Detector.  Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • skyking

Three easy ways to remember that the sky exists:

0) Funny how I never seem to need reminding.

(04-08-2020, 02:31 PM)Link Wrote: By seeing all greatness, beauty, and goodness is from his light and he is the source and that which unifies all beauty, greatness, and goodness.

Great!  Ra, the Egyptian sun god exists!
                                                         T4618

Link has been reading this thread, but not responding or defending his claims.  Why is that?

Could he lack the courage of his convictions maybe.    Or is he just as weak as cat's piss?

(05-11-2020, 02:47 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:31 PM)Link Wrote: By seeing all greatness, beauty, and goodness is from his light and he is the source and that which unifies all beauty, greatness, and goodness.

Great!  Ra, the Egyptian sun god exists!

Blasphemer. There are no gods but Ahura Mazda and his eternal enemy Angra Mainyu.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Dancefortwo

yes, the god of rotary engines!
There is no better engine sound!

Perhaps Link can explain why islamic primitives consider that kissing brings "shame" on a family but "murder" does not?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05...-killings/

Quote: Two men arrested in Pakistan after killing two women

Police said the victims were in their 20s

Quote:Pakistani authorities have arrested two men for allegedly murdering two female family members after a video which showed them being kissed by a man was posted online, police said Sunday.

The two women were killed on Thursday in a northwestern district near the Afghan border, where women often have few rights and are subjected to strict tribal codes that limit their movement outside of the home.

"Both men have confessed to killing them," said police official Mohammad Nawaz.
The two men - one of whom was the father of the first victim and the other was the brother of the second - were both being held in custody pending trial.

Police said the victims were in their 20s and had appeared in a short video that was posted online that showed them being kissed by a man.

This should be entertaining.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

1.  You open a bible and every sentence filling every page exhorts you to turn on your TV.

2.  You turn on a TV (and then a radio) and every frequency and channel is the same sermon by Joel Osteen.  It's as if the tuning knobs are disconnected.

3.  You switch off the TV (and radio) and your phone rings showing "God" in the caller ID.  You answer and a whispery voice demands to know why your TV and radio are turned off.

These would certainly make some god's existence easily remembered, and maybe even impossible to forget  Tongue

Link is still reading this thread, but again not responding or defending his claims.

It's now obvious that he lacks the courage of his convictions. And just like
most online theists, he's nothing more than a pathetic keyboard warrior.

Allāhu akbar?   No fucking way.

(05-24-2020, 03:41 AM)SYZ Wrote: Link is still reading this thread, but again not responding or defending his claims.

It's now obvious that he lacks the courage of his convictions. And just like
most online theists, he's nothing more than a pathetic keyboard warrior.

Allāhu akbar?   No fucking way.

Aw come on that's kinda harsh.  Maybe the guy is only a step away from being on our team.  It happens, the world is full of ex-Christians, ex-Muslims, ex-everything.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gwaithmir

God is a proof himself but also a proof regarding who we are not to be an illusion, we exist in his vision and see him to be that vision and perfect judge defining us exactly as we are. You just have to see it, reminding of it is all I can do, I can't make you accept it nor can create that reality in your minds, just remind of it.