Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faux News faces lawsuit over C-19 coverage

Quote:Fox News is being sued by a Washington nonprofit that claims the television station and its parent companies and owners violated the state's Consumer Protection Act by spreading false information about the coronavirus.

The suit, filed on behalf of the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics - WASHLITE - claims the conservative news station engaged in "unfair or deceptive" acts by misrepresenting and downplaying the seriousness of the coronavirus by suggesting that it was being politicised to hurt the president. As a result, it says, viewers failed to prepare and act in ways that could have protected them and helped slow the spread of the virus.

According to The Seattle Times, the lawsuit claims the conservative news network contributed to the "public-health crisis" and to "preventable mass death."

The suit includes AT&T and Comcast as defendants.

The attorney representing WASHLITE, Liz Hallock, said the suit was filed to keep the public safe.

Independent
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V, skyking

(04-05-2020, 04:41 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 04:11 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 03:35 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: He said the virus was a hoax?  You sure?

He called it the Democrats' "new hoax" at a rally in South Carolina.  He also called Ukraine a hoax...even though the motherfucker bragged about what he did.

What do you understand that to mean?  Do you think that means he was calling the Coronavirus itself a hoax?

It means that the democrats, the media, and other assorted never Trumpers are politicizing this pandemic to smear the President and conservatives, harping back to Rahm Emanuel's political playbook, "Never allow a crisis to go to waste". Not the Coronavirus itself, but the dems and their allies' using the crisis as a political weapon is the hoax he's referring to.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 1 user Likes Mad Hatter's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(04-07-2020, 02:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 01:57 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I didn't say anything about a "false equivalence."  Read it again, above.

I did. I'm part of this conversation too, remember.

True but it was smuggled in as if we agreed to it and had moved on.  Not a big deal though.

(04-07-2020, 01:57 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Well that sounds like something a bluffin' man might say, Thump.  Let me give your poor scrollin' and copyin' n pastin' fingers a break:

Thump said:
Quote:It is on that basis.That march was explicit in its aims, and not amenable to misunderstanding. Trump's false equivocation of of both sides was muddying the waters, much like calling CV a "Democratic hoax" is. The only similarity between Trump's two statements about the two events is that in both cases he served to muddle rather than clarify the situation and circumstances. In Charlottesville, one person died. In this case, thousands have and thousands more will, in large part because of his muddling.

Focusing on how his words are being incorrectly parsed while these many thousands die is like complaining that the cello in the orchestra is off-key -- when the gig is on the Titanic's quarterdeck.

We should be talking about facts, not idle and careless comparisons. If you want to continue making them, fine, but don't expect that your views are the only ones relevant or correct.

How does any of that make the two situations different in the way I described them?  It's almost stream of consciousness- "In Charlottesville, one person died"?  The Titanic?  Huh?

You'll remember, hopefully, that I was saying that there was and is a difference between the two events in terms of Trump's reaction. The first was plain and unequivocal on Trump's part. The second is an error on the part of his critics. There's your difference. What was so hard about that?

I think we're getting somewhere, see if this sounds right:  To me we're only talking about the reaction of his critics.  That's what I'm comparing.  You feel the two situations are not the same because in the "fine people" example the critics are not making either an error or a manipulation in his words because his words were unequivocal.  (Unequivocally bad!)  Whereas in the "C virus hoax" example the critics are at least making an error and maybe making a manipulation in his words because his actual words were at least equivocal and maybe just downright confusing.

My position would be in both cases his words were unequivocal and the critics (when they use the wording we've been parsing!) are not making an error but are purposely manipulating the words.

I think both opinions are grounds for agree to disagree.

I never said anyone who didn't agree with me (that the two situations were the same and reminded me of each other) was wrong, it's an opinion.  But if it's asserted that either I'm wrong or another interpretation is equally valid, it should be clear and reasonable.  (Not "Dude, you're privilege is hanging out" or something equally mysterious)

(04-07-2020, 01:57 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Lol it's okay Thump I know you don't want to walk it back.
You could always convince me with reason, but you've yet to do that. All you've done is wave your hands and type "no, it's the same treatment he got both times" -- but you haven't shown how Democrats or the media have spun his words about Charlottesville by removing context or appealing to syntax. They did neither to his words about Charlottesville, and have done both regarding his "hoax" comment. That's the difference you seem to be having trouble seeing.

There was an entire long thread where I demonstrated exactly all that (I think you participated) so it didn't seem necessary to get into it again.  But they seem very mirror-like to me, there absolutely was removal of context (literally ignoring words) among other manipulations.  But as I said above I understand your objections if that's how you see it (if I am reading them right).

(04-07-2020, 02:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As for the "Titanic" comment, that was regarding your behavior in this thread, not Trump's comments in either case. It almost seems like you're more worried about Trump's treatment, by the media or folks here, than the treatment hundreds of thousands of Covid patients are receiving -- or not receiving due to Trump's folly.

You're worried about the dance band on the Titanic, and ignoring the 300'-gash in the hull. (Hint: it's a metaphor).
It was a metaphor?  The Titanic wasn't at Charlottesville? Huh   And my post to Deesse explains how I feel about Relevancy policing.

(04-07-2020, 03:24 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 04:41 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 04:11 AM)Minimalist Wrote: He called it the Democrats' "new hoax" at a rally in South Carolina.  He also called Ukraine a hoax...even though the motherfucker bragged about what he did.

What do you understand that to mean?  Do you think that means he was calling the Coronavirus itself a hoax?

It means that the democrats, the media, and other assorted never Trumpers are politicizing this pandemic to smear the President and conservatives, harping back to Rahm Emanuel's political playbook, "Never allow a crisis to go to waste".  Not the Coronavirus itself, but the dems and their allies' using the crisis as a political weapon is the hoax he's referring to.

Fishing grounds closed.  Beat it.

Big Grin
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Mad Hatter, Gawdzilla Sama

(04-07-2020, 08:00 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: And my post to Deesse explains how I feel about Relevancy policing.

My criticism is not an attempt to "police" you for relevancy. It's just pointing out the inequality of concerns here. By all means, keep on carping about the media response; you're only making my point for me.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Deesse23

(04-07-2020, 12:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ...Hey Deesee see in my long post where I referenced the cowards who pop off but then magically disappear and won't actually address you when you confront their bullshit?  Here's exhibit A, B and SYZ.  Talking to me through another person.  What a cunt move.

LOL... Just how thick are you Jerry?

I wasn't talking to you matey, I was talking about you.   (I was actually responding to DanceforTwo's comment.)
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-07-2020, 11:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 08:00 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: And my post to Deesse explains how I feel about Relevancy policing.

My criticism is not an attempt to "police" you for relevancy. It's just pointing out the inequality of concerns here. By all means, keep on carping about the media response; you're only making my point for me.

Hey I've been the "carpie" not the "carper."  As long as anyone wants to keep quoting me and discussing it I'm game.

(04-08-2020, 12:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 12:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ...Hey Deesee see in my long post where I referenced the cowards who pop off but then magically disappear and won't actually address you when you confront their bullshit?  Here's exhibit A, B and SYZ.  Talking to me through another person.  What a cunt move.

LOL... Just how thick are you Jerry?

I wasn't talking to you matey, I was talking about you.   (I was actually responding to DanceforTwo's comment.)

That's why I said it was a cunt move.

I am the relevancy police. I have to split threads and spend hours plucking shit apart because people put unrelated and irrelevant stuff in threads.

Didn't happen in this one thank the goddess. It always puts me in a bad mood, splitting threads leaves me with a splitting headache.

Ok, I just felt like venting and this looked like a good opportunity.  Tongue
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ, skyking, Deesse23

If I just stopped posting controversial threads, maybe everyone would get along better. Tongue

(04-08-2020, 02:16 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: If I just stopped posting controversial threads, maybe everyone would get along better. Tongue

I blame Phaedrus for all of this. Dodgy
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Phaedrus

(04-08-2020, 01:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Hey I've been the "carpie" not the "carper."  As long as anyone wants to keep quoting me and discussing it I'm game.

It's all good. We're having a discussion, something we've often not been able to pull off, and I appreciate it.
On hiatus.

Exactly, i never claimed i am in a position to determine what Jerry HAS to be concerned about. I merely pointed out that the facts of the current situation blatantly show his poistion to be pointless and irrelevant it is quite revealing when thousands of countrymen are dying unnecessarily, for a reason (or two), while someone is most concerned that the "main reason" is possibly not properly treated.

He has every right to insist on continuing to discuss irrelevancies while all of us are stuck in a pandemic the world hasnt seen for a while. It just tells us a lot about Jerry and his reasoning.

Mad Hatter is entitled as well to try and criticize democratic politicians for weaponizing a health crisis in the US, while the person who is in large part responsible for how bad it currently is, will step up again to the mic today (most probably) and brag about his personal achievements, while another 1200 americans will have stopped breathing. Dodgy

Proirities, life is all about priorities, and your concerns tell us where your priorities are.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • isbelldl, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

(04-08-2020, 03:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 01:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 11:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: My criticism is not an attempt to "police" you for relevancy. It's just pointing out the inequality of concerns here. By all means, keep on carping about the media response; you're only making my point for me.

It's all good. We're having a discussion, something we've often not been able to pull off, and I appreciate it.

It was less train-wrecky than usual. Undecided
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus

(04-08-2020, 08:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:

Exactly, i never claimed i am in a position to determine what Jerry HAS to be concerned about. I merely pointed out that the facts of the current situation blatantly show his poistion to be pointless and irrelevant it is quite revealing when thousands of countrymen are dying unnecessarily, for a reason (or two), while someone is most concerned that the "main reason" is possibly not properly treated.

He has every right to insist on continuing to discuss irrelevancies while all of us are stuck in a pandemic the world hasnt seen for a while. It just tells us a lot about Jerry and his reasoning.

Mad Hatter is entitled as well to try and criticize democratic politicians for weaponizing a health crisis in the US, while the person who is in large part responsible for how bad it currently is, will step up again to the mic today (most probably) and brag about his personal achievements, while another 1200 americans will have stopped breathing.  Dodgy

Proirities, life is all about priorities, and your concerns tell us where your priorities are.

Are you going to hold to this standard about every topic we discuss on this forum?  Are you going to chase everyone around like a whiny little bitch and scold them that what they find interesting is not relevant in light of thousands of countrymen dying during a worldwide pandemic?

Of course you’re not.  Just those topics that- surprise- your particular political sensibilities find distasteful.  Those are verboten.  No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you. (Except you Dom! Smile  )

That's some weak shit right there, Jerry.

(04-08-2020, 08:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Mad Hatter is entitled as well to try and criticize democratic politicians for weaponizing a health crisis in the US [...]

Par for the course, for him. It's part of the reason I don't bother trying to discuss matters with him any more: his partisanship has poisoned his thinking.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 11:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: My criticism is not an attempt to "police" you for relevancy. It's just pointing out the inequality of concerns here. By all means, keep on carping about the media response; you're only making my point for me.

Mad Hatter is entitled as well to try and criticize democratic politicians for weaponizing a health crisis in the US, while the person who is in large part responsible for how bad it currently is, will step up again to the mic today (most probably) and brag about his personal achievements, while another 1200 americans will have stopped breathing.  Dodgy

Are you going to hold to this standard about every topic we discuss on this forum?  Are you going to chase everyone around like a whiny little bitch and scold them that what they find interesting is not relevant in light of thousands of countrymen dying during a worldwide pandemic?

Of course you’re not.  Just those topics that- surprise- your particular political sensibilities find distasteful.  Those are verboten.  No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you. (Except you Dom! Smile  )

I take that as an official "I am out of arguments" and accept your surrender.

On a sidenote, my dad wasn't even born when Hitler came into power. My family didn't even live in German territory until April 1939 until Memelland was annexed, My family must have been so Nazi supportive that Uncle Joe didn't deport nor kill them in late 1944, and they continued to live under the second of the worst dictatorships we have seen in a long time, unwillingly again,until 1962.

Fuck you and if it wasn't for all the decent Americans, I would wish you a second term and only a glimpse of what my family has seen. Would be interesting if YOUR concerns would still be with the self proclaimed modern groefaz. Try to Google that if you can.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, abaris, Szuchow

(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you. (Except you Dom! Smile  )

In the limbo dance (how low can you go?) you would have won with flying colors.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Deesse23, jerry mcmasters, TheGentlemanBastard

(04-08-2020, 04:19 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: Exactly, i never claimed i am in a position to determine what Jerry HAS to be concerned about. I merely pointed out that the facts of the current situation blatantly show his poistion to be pointless and irrelevant it is quite revealing when thousands of countrymen are dying unnecessarily, for a reason (or two), while someone is most concerned that the "main reason" is possibly not properly treated.

I take that as an official "I am out of arguments" and accept your surrender.

Why would you take that as an official "I am out of arguments"?  You haven't addressed my arguments so far and you want more arguments?  Dude you've been nagging me for pages telling me to stop arguing because my harmless little hoax point didn't meet your relevancy standards.

(04-08-2020, 04:19 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: On a sidenote, my dad wasn't even born when Hitler came into power. My family didn't even live in German territory until April 1939 until Memelland was annexed, My family must have been so Nazi supportive that Uncle Joe didn't deport nor kill them in late 1944, and they continued to live under the second of the worst dictatorships we have seen in a long time, unwillingly again,until 1962.

Why the fuck are you going on about your personal shit when Americans are dying over here?  Just shows your selfish self-absorbed priorities.  I think you owe me, the American people, and frankly humanity at large a huge apology.  Sad.

(04-08-2020, 05:22 PM)abaris Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you. (Except you Dom! Smile  )

In the limbo dance (how low can you go?) you would have won with flying colors.

Did I go too far?  Maybe I went too far. Undecided

(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ...Those are verboten.  No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you.

Level of offensiveness?    10/10.    Well done Jerry.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dom

(04-09-2020, 04:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ...Those are verboten.  No wonder you pussies let Hitler walk all over you.

I can take it to 11, 12, 13, or whatever it takes.  Treadeth Not On Jerry. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Phaedrus

(04-09-2020, 04:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:

Nope. He dialed that one right to eleven!
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dom