Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Shows Promise in First Peer-Reviewed Research

https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/covid...d-research

Quote: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. When tested in mice, the vaccine, delivered through a fingertip-sized patch, produces antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities thought to be sufficient for neutralizing the virus.

The paper appeared April 2 in eBioMedicine, which is published by The Lancet, and is the first study to be published after critique from fellow scientists at outside institutions that describes a candidate vaccine for COVID-19. The researchers were able to act quickly because they had already laid the groundwork during earlier coronavirus epidemics.   

“We had previous experience on SARS-CoV in 2003 and MERS-CoV in 2014. These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus. We knew exactly where to fight this new virus,” said co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine. “That’s why it’s important to fund vaccine research. You never know where the next pandemic will come from.”

A small glimmer of hope.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Eureka! That's it. This "virus" is a nothing more than a long con, a hustle, to get all the anti-vaxers to eat thier words, and succumb power of the dark side.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys, skyking

By the time the governments of the world manage to get a vaccine to the people the crisis will have passed and we'll have herd immunity.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(04-04-2020, 11:43 AM)Dānu Wrote: By the time the governments of the world manage to get a vaccine to the people the crisis will have passed and we'll have herd immunity.

Is this what the experts are saying?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(04-04-2020, 02:52 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 11:43 AM)Dānu Wrote: By the time the governments of the world manage to get a vaccine to the people the crisis will have passed and we'll have herd immunity.

No, that's just something of a Murphy's law pessimistic opinion of mine. Vaccine development and deployment is typically a very long scale enterprise. Even if we get a vaccine in six months, rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people (or 367 million) is going to take forever and suck the life out of that set of industries. Things are easier said than done. Mnuchin suggested people could get their stimulus within a month. It will take up to six months to get it to everybody.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

(04-04-2020, 02:56 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:52 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

No, that's just something of a Murphy's law pessimistic opinion of mine.  Vaccine development and deployment is typically a very long scale enterprise.  Even if we get a vaccine in six months, rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people (or 367 million) is going to take forever and suck the life out of that set of industries.

I have a lot of pessimistic opinions too, like how in my view a violent revolution is preferred. People don't like that though. Sad

(04-04-2020, 10:14 AM)no one Wrote: Eureka! That's it. This "virus" is a nothing more than a long con, a hustle, to get all the anti-vaxers to eat thier words, and succumb power of the dark side.

Have you been on the cousins' forum? Sadcryface
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-04-2020, 02:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:56 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:52 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Is this what the experts are saying?

No, that's just something of a Murphy's law pessimistic opinion of mine.  Vaccine development and deployment is typically a very long scale enterprise.  Even if we get a vaccine in six months, rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people (or 367 million) is going to take forever and suck the life out of that set of industries.

I have a lot of pessimistic opinions too, like how in my view a violent revolution is preferred. People don't like that though. Sad

I can't imagine why. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Vivekananda

Scientists will eventually develop the vaccine and people like Ken Ham will thank God for the cure.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys, skyking, brunumb

(04-04-2020, 03:12 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:56 PM)Dānu Wrote: No, that's just something of a Murphy's law pessimistic opinion of mine.  Vaccine development and deployment is typically a very long scale enterprise.  Even if we get a vaccine in six months, rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people (or 367 million) is going to take forever and suck the life out of that set of industries.

I can't imagine why.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Oh so people should like your pessimistic opinions but not mine? Ok, I see how it is.  Dodgy
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dānu, skyking

And this is why science is better than asking Invisible Sky Daddy to fix things. Science gets shit done. Let's hope it holds up throughout further testing.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

(04-04-2020, 03:14 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Scientists will eventually develop the vaccine and people like Ken Ham will thank God for the cure.  Dodgy

And blame atheists for the disease. I'm already hearing this. "Godless scientists brew up horrors in their labs and release it on Christians!" (Bad grammar not mine.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Quote:rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people

If it actually works they'll charge $10,000/dose, insurance won't cover it and they'll make just enough for the upper 1%.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

(04-04-2020, 08:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:rolling out the vaccine to 8 billion people

If it actually works they'll charge $10,000/dose, insurance won't cover it and they'll make just enough for the upper 1%.
But you can go to Guatemala and get something just as good for $10Gringo.

But President Fuckface won't let you back in the country then.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”