Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let the elderly die to save the economy

It's entirely reasonable

I suggest we start with all the old farts in government.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-26-2020, 03:31 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: It's entirely reasonable

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Paging @jerryg, your services are needed here.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

Jeezus, some people are real life monsters. Brit Hume and Dan Patrick, huh?  Well, they can go first if they're so eager.
The following 2 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Phaedrus, abaris

I have no time for the elderly, like that wizard dude.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

I note however that Texas lieutenant governor Dan Patrick said "for his own part, that he would be
willing to take a risk of getting the disease if that's what it took to allow the economy to move forward.
He said that because he is late in life, that he would be perhaps more willing than he might have been
at a younger age."

—Note the weasel words if it comes to the crunch for the 59-year-old Patrick.

This raises the question of whether or not it'd be irresponsible for the second-most powerful man in the
state of Texas to (presumably) refuse a COVID-19 test were he to show signs of contracting the virus.
How many people would he pass it on to whilst in office, or would he immediately step down?  I'm
thinking he's just grandstanding to somehow earn political brownie points.  And I'm glad I don't live in Texas!

Alleged altruism has never outranked political power.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus

Remember when conservatives were talking about "death panels"? Turns out they never actually gave a shit about that.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, mordant, Dancefortwo, Alan V, Kaneda

Some of us are dead already,............... we just don't know it yet.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus

This is one of the most disgusting thing's I've read in a long, long while.  The republicans have sunk so low they're in Hitler territory now.  A segment of the population was expendable because they took up too many resources.    Republicans claim this is a "Christian nation".  Would Jesus sacrifice the life of his elderly father, Joseph, for the money it would save? 

Ultimately a civilization is measured by how it treats those who are weaker and who cannot help themselves.  It's shameful to live in a country that has sunk so low.  I dispair.
                                                         T4618
The following 10 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Szuchow, Dom, Deesse23, Old Man Marsh, SYZ, Phaedrus, GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte, Minimalist, adey67

(03-26-2020, 01:35 PM)SYZ Wrote: And I'm glad I don't live in Texas!

We're glad too. Smile

For the record, I wouldn't mind if Dan Patrick caught Covid-19.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

(03-26-2020, 02:18 PM)brewerb Wrote: Some of us are dead already,............... we just don't know it yet.

I guess I better go lay down then.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • brewerb

(03-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:18 PM)brewerb Wrote: Some of us are dead already,............... we just don't know it yet.

Just walk slowly. We're the new zombie population.

Boomerbie?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

(03-26-2020, 05:17 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Alan V Wrote:

Just walk slowly. We're the new zombie population.

Boomerbie?

I prefer "Zomber." Crazy
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • brewerb

(03-26-2020, 03:31 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: It's entirely reasonable

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Too bad his idiot premise is all wrong. 
The young die from this too, and he can't figure out which ones will and which ones won't. 
He doesn't get to decide who dies and who doesn't. 
Fox commentators are even more stupid than anyone guessed.
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball

(03-27-2020, 01:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... Fox commentators are even more stupid than anyone guessed ...

Intellect is not a CV line item for getting hired as Fox camera "talent", but being unafflicted by bad hair days must occupy at least 6 paragraphs of substantiation.  A 7th (terse) paragraph is for contact and agent contact info.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Fireball

His opinion (Dan Patrick) may not be popular, but it's dishonest to describe it inaccurately.  His view is a radical shift to the far left along the lines of AOC-Bernie Sanders solutions to current problems would be long-term damaging to the US way of life.  You don't have to agree with him, he's a right wing conservative.  But it's not as cartoonishly silly as saying "Dude wants to kill olds."  He sincerely believes the cure would be more costly than the disease, if the cure is turning the US into (what he would believe to be) a far worse economic environment and a lack of opportunities for his kids and grandkids than he had.  He can be wrong on economic and political merits but he's not wrong because of evil intent, I doubt the guy just has hate and wants to fuck over his own children and grandchildren.

(03-27-2020, 01:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: His opinion (Dan Patrick) may not be popular, but it's dishonest to describe it inaccurately.  His view is a radical shift to the far left along the lines of AOC-Bernie Sanders solutions to current problems would be long-term damaging to the US way of life.  You don't have to agree with him, he's a right wing conservative.  But it's not as cartoonishly silly as saying "Dude wants to kill olds."  He sincerely believes the cure would be more costly than the disease, if the cure is turning the US into (what he would believe to be) a far worse economic environment and a lack of opportunities for his kids and grandkids than he had.  He can be wrong on economic and political merits but he's not wrong because of evil intent, I doubt the guy just has hate and wants to fuck over his own children and grandchildren.

His statement was idiotic. What he "believes" about the subject is irrelevant. 
Elderly people in Florida ARE GOING TO DIE in huge numbers secondary to his policies .. policies they never had any input on, and did not vote on. It *IS* the death panels conservatives lost their minds about when it wasn't true. This time it is.

(03-27-2020, 02:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 01:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: His opinion (Dan Patrick) may not be popular, but it's dishonest to describe it inaccurately.  His view is a radical shift to the far left along the lines of AOC-Bernie Sanders solutions to current problems would be long-term damaging to the US way of life.  You don't have to agree with him, he's a right wing conservative.  But it's not as cartoonishly silly as saying "Dude wants to kill olds."  He sincerely believes the cure would be more costly than the disease, if the cure is turning the US into (what he would believe to be) a far worse economic environment and a lack of opportunities for his kids and grandkids than he had.  He can be wrong on economic and political merits but he's not wrong because of evil intent, I doubt the guy just has hate and wants to fuck over his own children and grandchildren.

Elderly people in Florida ARE GOING TO DIE in huge numbers secondary to his policies .. policies they never had any input on, and did not vote on. It *IS* the death panels conservatives lost their minds about when it wasn't true. This time it is.

Well duh if elderly people in Florida ARE GOING TO DIE in huge numbers secondary to his policies then yeah whatever he says is irrelevant.

(03-27-2020, 03:04 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 02:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

Well duh if elderly people in Florida ARE GOING TO DIE in huge numbers secondary to his policies then yeah whatever he says is irrelevant.

It is now. It's too late. 
His underlying assumption that it selectively kills only the old was false, thus now, whatever he proposes (he thinks he has the right to chose who he wants to live and who he wants to die) is irrelevant. Florida is the next hot spot.

(03-27-2020, 03:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 03:04 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 02:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: His statement was idiotic. What he "believes" about the subject is irrelevant. 

It is now. It's too late. 
His underlying assumption that it selectively kills only the old was false, thus now, whatever he proposes (he thinks he has the right to chose who he wants to live and who he wants to die) is irrelevant. Florida is the next hot spot.

I don't remember his exact words but I doubt he meant only the old, probably just disproportionately the old, and of course the young with underlying serious conditions.  My understanding, which I hope is right but could be wrong, is that this thing affects the old way worse than the young, even to the point of many people having it but being asymptomatic. 

Florida does indeed seem like a ripe area for a serious outbreak.

Pretty sure he's the Lt Gov of Texas. No matter what he says when, it doesn't have any pull in Florida, outside oof the viewing audience.

If the right want to express and believe views like that fine BUT..... That means they have to shut the hell up with the fake moral outrage regarding abortions.
Justaminute   Flatten the curve its not just like flu! 
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Phaedrus, Deesse23

This is so Hitleresque:  We are all suffering financially because of the xxx people. If we get rid of them, we will thrive.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, adey67, Thumpalumpacus, tomilay, Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard, Old Man Marsh

Death panels! Death panels! Isn't it fun to bellow out "Death Panels"? Trump spent years disassembling our nations epidemic disease control programs and now we need them badly. If this all keeps going on as bad as many experts tell us it will, there will be death panels deciding who to save and who to allow to die due to lack of ability to tale care of all who get sick. Trump death panels are coming. Thank you Trump! And thank you to the GOP in control of House and Senate that allowed this to occur.

It is going to be interesting come November.
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!   Boinnnnnng!  Hiya Kids!  Hiya! Hiya!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dancefortwo

They came for the 90 yos.
And I did nothing, because I was 69.
Then they came for the 80 yos.
And I did nothing, because I was 69.
Then they came for the 70 yos.
And I did nothing but move to the New Territories.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I'm pretty sure old people would have the planet burn to the ground after they're done if it meant they got an extra 2 years on earth.