Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smiling is bad, I knew it!

Smiling when you don't feel like it has harmful psychological consequences

Quote: The pressure to smile no matter how we really feel can be crushing, especially when it’s mandated by a “service with a smile” work policy. But faking a smile isn’t just hard during the workday. It can be so draining that it makes it harder to say no to unhealthy habits off-hours, write researchers in a Occupational Health Psychology study.

Projecting a different emotion than the one you actually feel is sometimes referred to by psychologists as “surface acting.” The study, published in March of 2019, suggests that putting up that front day after day takes a serious toll. Using survey data collected from 1,592 people, the authors showed that surface acting during work was “robustly correlated” with heavy drinking outside of work.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Aroura, Chimp3

Then just show them your best vertical smile. (assuming that you washed it)
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Happiness is often a decision. Heavy drinking almost always is.

(03-19-2020, 04:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Happiness is often a decision. Heavy drinking almost always is.

I've got to disagree there, Thump.  For many, only the first drink is a choice; after that, all bets are off.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I have RBF, and if I'm exhausted, I do look like I want to kill somebody. So, parents and others will nag me to smile for the camera. But my aunt recently did it very specifically to the point that I looked like I was on crack. I'll stop there for fear of making an ableist comment.

I have seen some old timey photos where none of the family smiles, and it looks completely fine. With me, it's just fake or otherwise weird.
Is this sig thing on?

(03-19-2020, 02:14 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Smiling when you don't feel like it has harmful psychological consequences

Quote: The pressure to smile no matter how we really feel can be crushing, especially when it’s mandated by a “service with a smile” work policy. But faking a smile isn’t just hard during the workday. It can be so draining that it makes it harder to say no to unhealthy habits off-hours, write researchers in a Occupational Health Psychology study.

Projecting a different emotion than the one you actually feel is sometimes referred to by psychologists as “surface acting.” The study, published in March of 2019, suggests that putting up that front day after day takes a serious toll. Using survey data collected from 1,592 people, the authors showed that surface acting during work was “robustly correlated” with heavy drinking outside of work.

They forgot to take into consideration the ironic/sarcastic smile.  Tongue

Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball

Nothing puts me in a worse mood than some happy, happy person telling me "Smile!". Really pisses me off!
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

My smile is brighter than 1,000 suns. It is actually illegal for me to smile.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Can I just smirk?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(03-19-2020, 11:34 PM)no one Wrote: My smile is brighter than 1,000 suns. It is actually illegal for me to smile.

Really? I'll raise you  Sun  Sun X 800.    

Big Grin
                                                         T4618

(03-19-2020, 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 04:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Happiness is often a decision. Heavy drinking almost always is.

I've got to disagree there, Thump.  For many, only the first drink is a choice; after that, all bets are off.

Sure. Some slide into it; others fall straight in.

I know it was a choice for me.

(03-19-2020, 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 02:14 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Smiling when you don't feel like it has harmful psychological consequences

They forgot to take into consideration the ironic/sarcastic smile.  Tongue

That has to be one of the most ironic speeches of ever. Rolleyes
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus

[Image: 90617016_2579684155600417_70875365763847...e=5E9A312F]