Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technology by Filox

Technology by Filox
Hello everyone and welcome to Technology by Filox. 

This thread is my contribution to this forum, I will try to help you out with your PC problems here. I am mostly good with hardware issues, but we can try to solve software problems as well. Anyone is free to chip in with ideas and suggestions, of course, the more the merrier. 

At the moment I am pretty occupied with Hi-Fi Audio equipment, mostly amplifiers and preamplifiers, more specifically vintage amps and preamps.

So, feel free to ask away. 

I will also write some interesting stories and facts from time to time. 

P.S.

Please, no spamming here, let's keep this on topic. Thank you.
Live long and prosper!
The following 2 users Like Filox's post:
  • SYZ, jerry mcmasters

Technology by Filox
Damn, I was just going to start spamming.... hippy using a bong
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Fireball

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 05:37 PM)Dom Wrote: Damn, I was just going to start spamming.... hippy using a bong

Et tu, Brute?

Yes, yes, very funny. Now feel free to moderate your own post and delete yourself.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

And me. Yes.

Tongue
Live long and prosper!

Technology by Filox
Just so happens that my very old, snail pace DSL, intended only for read and write online, is getting an update. I was downloading and streaming and gaming anyway, but at a snail's pace. The new won't be much of an improvement, but it is faster and more stable. In exchange, I get to live where I love it, even though there is no decent internet service, and I have no limits as to how long I use the web. So, the tradeoff is worth it to me.

Anyway, they sent me a new "high speed modem". Now, I haven't used their old modem in years, I bought one that worked better. The installation for their new modem didn't go well though - simple instructions: Plug in power, wait for light, plug in phone, wait for light, connect ethernet ( I did even though I am on Bluetooth\wifi) and go to xxx.com to complete setup.  Simple, right? Except that it doesn't connect o the internet so I cannot complete installation. 

I said screw that, I am using my own modem - and voila - it all works.  WTF? Enjoying the speed though.   

I guess I'll be returning a modem.

Just my current tech experience, no fix needed.

I'll likely have some complicated ones to solve in the future, I am definitely not tech savvy.

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Dom Wrote: Just so happens that my very old, snail pace DSL, intended only for read and write online, is getting an update.

I struggle along with this connection.

[Image: Mi7h86X.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Dom Wrote: Just so happens that my very old, snail pace DSL, intended only for read and write online, is getting an update. I was downloading and streaming and gaming anyway, but at a snail's pace. The new won't be much of an improvement, but it is faster and more stable. In exchange, I get to live where I love it, even though there is no decent internet service, and I have no limits as to how long I use the web. So, the tradeoff is worth it to me.

Anyway, they sent me a new "high speed modem". Now, I haven't used their old modem in years, I bought one that worked better. The installation for their new modem didn't go well though - simple instructions: Plug in power, wait for light, plug in phone, wait for light, connect ethernet ( I did even though I am on Bluetooth\wifi) and go to xxx.com to complete setup.  Simple, right? Except that it doesn't connect o the internet so I cannot complete installation. 

I said screw that, I am using my own modem - and voila - it all works.  WTF? Enjoying the speed though.   

I'll likely have some complicated ones to solve in the future, I am definitely not tech savvy.

They did not properly provision your new modem. It happens.
There are a couple of long hexidecimal numbers on the bottom label. The important one is the CMAC or MAC address.
If they fumble-fingered it into their system incorrectly, you will get nowhere with the new modem. Stopped at the gates Smile
Now I am like you, and would leave well enough alone. The only caveat is improved performance.
If you post up the model number of the one that works and the new one that does not, I can try to parse out if it would be worth that phone call to tech support. It might be that the one you purchased knocks the socks off the "new" one they sent you Smile

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 07:06 PM)skyking Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 06:25 PM)Dom Wrote: Just so happens that my very old, snail pace DSL, intended only for read and write online, is getting an update. I was downloading and streaming and gaming anyway, but at a snail's pace. The new won't be much of an improvement, but it is faster and more stable. In exchange, I get to live where I love it, even though there is no decent internet service, and I have no limits as to how long I use the web. So, the tradeoff is worth it to me.

There are a couple of long hexidecimal numbers on the bottom label. The important one is the CMAC or MAC address.
If they fumble-fingered it into their system incorrectly, you will get nowhere with the new modem. Stopped at the gates Smile
Now I am like you, and would leave well enough alone. The only caveat is improved performance.
If you post up the model number of the one that works and the new one that does not, I can try to parse out if it would be worth that phone call to tech support. It might be that the one you purchased knocks the socks off the "new" one they sent you Smile

They can have the "new" one back in their fumble fingers, I am sticking with the one I bought. It works fine at the higher speed, I was able to finish installation on it. It's still much slower than cable, but cable isn't coming here in the foreseeable future. I'm happy enough now.

Thanks for the info. Smile

Technology by Filox
If you got the bump then, great Smile
Your DSL would be fine if the content developing idiots would just take it into consideration. Pages are soo freeking bloated!! We squander so much bandwidth.
I have installed a half dozen pairs of these radios for friends and businesses.
ubiquiti Loco M2

They are reliable. IF I can see from one place to another, 10 KM is what they can do!
I have not pushed more than a few hundred yards yet, no need yet. 
If somebody had a friend or a business that could get high speed, I can beam it somewhere where it does not exist. Cool beans.

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 06:54 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I struggle along with this connection.

[Image: Mi7h86X.jpg]

Hey there ya fucken pillow-biter...

I wish you wouldn't keep on posting this disgusting speed test result.

It totally pisses me off!     Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dānu, brewerb

Technology by Filox
(03-06-2020, 08:02 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 07:06 PM)skyking Wrote:

They can have the "new" one back in their fumble fingers, I am sticking with the one I bought. It works fine at the higher speed, I was able to finish installation on it. It's still much slower than cable, but cable isn't coming here in the foreseeable future. I'm happy enough now.

Did you ever get your new computer? I know you were talking about buying one, but I don't recall hearing about it after that.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Technology by Filox
(03-08-2020, 03:28 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 08:02 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 07:06 PM)skyking Wrote: They did not properly provision your new modem. It happens.

Did you ever get your new computer?  I know you were talking about buying one, but I don't recall hearing about it after that.

I did, and I love it.
  • Dānu

Technology by Filox
I see that this is going fine without me. Please continue, if you need anything, I am here.

Thumbs Up
Live long and prosper!
The following 1 user Likes Filox's post:
  • Dom

Technology by Filox
One of the greatest things in Audio amplifiers is the discovery of MOSFET transistors. It was a military thing invented by Hitachi in the fifties, but began to be commercially used in the mid seventies. Here is a little story about Hitachi amplifiers and MOSFETs...

P.S.

I am a proud owner of several Hitachi amps, HMA 6500 and HMA 8500...
Live long and prosper!

Technology by Filox
Wtf can't I use any drop down menus? They drop down and pop right back up and I can't click on anything. 

I restarted the computer - didn't help.

Technology by Filox
(03-09-2020, 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote: Wtf can't I use any drop down menus? They drop down and pop right back up and I can't click on anything. 

I restarted the computer - didn't help.

Never mind, I turned off the mouse, unplugged the dongle, plugged it back in, turned to mouse back on and - voila.

Technology by Filox
"Did you try to unplug it and the plug it back in?" is the first thing any support tech will ask you. Big Grin
Live long and prosper!

Technology by Filox
(03-09-2020, 04:54 PM)Filox Wrote: "Did you try to unplug it and the plug it back in?" is the first thing any support tech will ask you.    Big Grin

The thing to know is exactly what it is you need to plug out and in. First I tried the computer, then the browser, then the mouse. And bingo. I am an old woman who plays around on a computer, not a tech of any sort.

Technology by Filox
Hey mate...

I've got a funny problem with my Logitech M100r wired mouse.

Using the wheel, I can scroll down the screen OK, but scrolling up, the wheel
only works very slowly, or not at all. I've checked its driver as OK.

Could it be a mechanical issue with a 6-year-old mouse?

—Thanks.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Technology by Filox
(03-09-2020, 05:20 PM)SYZ Wrote: Hey mate...

I've got a funny problem with my Logitech M100r wired mouse.

Using the wheel, I can scroll down the screen OK, but scrolling up, the wheel
only works very slowly, or not at all.  I've checked its driver as OK.

Could it be a mechanical issue with a 6-year-old mouse?

—Thanks.

Most probably it is a mechanical issue. To be sure, just try it on a different PC or laptop. If the same thing happens, you need a new mouse.
Live long and prosper!
The following 1 user Likes Filox's post:
  • SYZ

Technology by Filox
So, since I re-set my mouse, it's driving me nuts. When I scroll, I can't decide myself when to stop, it jumps to what it considers the next page. I wear glasses and I need to read on the computer with the middle of my glasses. So I like to scroll to keep my current reading in the middle of the screen. I can't do this anymore and it drives me nuts.

Are there settings for this some place?

Technology by Filox
That's all Windows stuff, right?

Technology by Filox
Get a Mac... LOL!
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Technology by Filox
(03-11-2020, 12:18 PM)Dom Wrote: So, since I re-set my mouse, it's driving me nuts. When I scroll, I can't decide myself when to stop, it jumps to what it considers the next page. I wear glasses and I need to read on the computer with the middle of my glasses. So I like to scroll to keep my current reading in the middle of the screen. I can't do this anymore and it drives me nuts.

Click on Windows button, the one in the lower right corner of your desktop. Go to Control Panel. Find "Mouse". There is suppose to be a card called "Wheel", maybe it is something different, depending on the version of Windows you use. In the "wheel" card there is an option for how many lines you want your scroll to scroll.

If this is not the way I describe it, please tell me where you lost my instructions, give me a printscreen and we can continue.
Live long and prosper!

Technology by Filox
(03-11-2020, 12:30 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Get a Mac...  LOL!

Yeah, throw your money away for no reason and pay for everything you want extra. 

LOL!

Lol2

And please no spamming this topic. If you want to contribute, contribute in a helpful way. Thank you.
Live long and prosper!

Technology by Filox
(03-11-2020, 12:34 PM)Filox Wrote:
(03-11-2020, 12:18 PM)Dom Wrote: So, since I re-set my mouse, it's driving me nuts. When I scroll, I can't decide myself when to stop, it jumps to what it considers the next page. I wear glasses and I need to read on the computer with the middle of my glasses. So I like to scroll to keep my current reading in the middle of the screen. I can't do this anymore and it drives me nuts.

Click on Windows button, the one in the lower right corner of your desktop. Go to Control Panel. Find "Mouse". There is suppose to be a card called "Wheel", maybe it is something different, depending on the version of Windows you use. In the "wheel" card there is an option for how many lines you want your scroll to scroll.

If this is not the way I describe it, please tell me where you lost my instructions, give me a printscreen and we can continue.

found it in settings - devices - mouse - scroll settings. Works now. Smile
  • Filox