Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic Church Throws Out Holy Water...
Exclamation 
Catholics taking part in church services across Australia this weekend could see their
traditions of worship changed due to COVID-19.  The Australian Catholic Bishops
Conference has urged a number of measures to reduce transmission of the virus,
including stopping communion being distributed from the chalice and the removal
of holy water from stoups.  There was also a recommendation that the communion
wafer be given in the hand "because of the high risk of transmission if people continue
to receive on the tongue".  

[Image: 12030376-3x2-700x467.jpg]

Coronavirus concerns see Catholic Church recommend changes to holy communion and holy water practices.

For fuck's sake... how ludicrous is this?  Their purported "holy water" can be easily
contaminated by COVID-19 as can the wafers?

I'm still laughing.      Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • brewerb, Gawdzilla Sama, Chimp3, isbelldl, Paleophyte, Unsapien, Joods

They won't risk anything that might reduce collections at future masses!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Chimp3, SYZ

Are you trying to say that Jesus' body and blood (in the form of a wafer and wine)  might get contaminated with the virus? This is just awful!  AWFUL, I say!  You'd think that those wafers were just a bunch of dough and water, or something.  

Wafer!? Wafer!?  We don't need no stinking wafers!!!  

[Image: Gold_Hat_portrayed_by_Alfonso_Bedoya.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

Which reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

Quote:When nuns are admitted to Heaven they go through a special gate and are expected to make one last confession before they become angels. Several nuns are lined up at this gate waiting to be absolved of their last sins before they are made holy.

"And so," says St. Peter, "have you ever had any contact with a penis?" "Well," says the first nun in line, "I did once just touch the tip of one with the tip of my finger."

"OK," says St. Peter, "dip your finger in the holy water and pass on into heaven."

The next nun admits, "Well, yes, I did once get carried away and I, you know, sort of massaged one a bit."

"OK," says St. Peter, "rinse your hand in the holy water and pass on into heaven."

Suddenly there is some jostling in the line and one of the nuns is trying to cut in front. "Well now, what's going on here?" says St. Peter.

"Well, your excellency," says the nun who is trying to improve her position in line, "If I'm going to have to gargle that stuff, I want to do it before Sister Mary Thomas sticks her ass in it."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien

(03-05-2020, 03:30 PM)SYZ Wrote: Catholics taking part in church services across Australia this weekend could see their
traditions of worship changed due to COVID-19.  The Australian Catholic Bishops
Conference has urged a number of measures to reduce transmission of the virus,
including stopping communion being distributed from the chalice and the removal
of holy water from stoups.  There was also a recommendation that the communion
wafer be given in the hand "because of the high risk of transmission if people continue
to receive on the tongue".  

[Image: 12030376-3x2-700x467.jpg]

Coronavirus concerns see Catholic Church recommend changes to holy communion and holy water practices.

For fuck's sake... how ludicrous is this?  Their purported "holy water" can be easily
contaminated by COVID-19 as can the wafers?

I'm still laughing.      Big Grin

Christ is past his Sell By date.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(03-06-2020, 01:52 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Which reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

Quote:When nuns are admitted to Heaven they go through a special gate and are expected to make one last confession before they become angels. Several nuns are lined up at this gate waiting to be absolved of their last sins before they are made holy.

"And so," says St. Peter, "have you ever had any contact with a penis?" "Well," says the first nun in line, "I did once just touch the tip of one with the tip of my finger."

"OK," says St. Peter, "dip your finger in the holy water and pass on into heaven."

The next nun admits, "Well, yes, I did once get carried away and I, you know, sort of massaged one a bit."

"OK," says St. Peter, "rinse your hand in the holy water and pass on into heaven."

Suddenly there is some jostling in the line and one of the nuns is trying to cut in front. "Well now, what's going on here?" says St. Peter.

"Well, your excellency," says the nun who is trying to improve her position in line, "If I'm going to have to gargle that stuff, I want to do it before Sister Mary Thomas sticks her ass in it."

That there is funny, thanks ... added to my list.

And again from downunder...

Child sex abuse victim says Anglican Church fobbed her off, then offered payout in exchange for silence.

Anglican Church officials wrongly told a woman who was sexually abused more than 60 years ago they had
to hold off resolving her complaint, then offered a payout and an apology if she agreed to a gag clause.
The church's Brisbane diocese has admitted to again failing Beth Heinrich over her 1995 complaint, which
culminated in then-governor-general Peter Hollingworth publicly blaming her for a priest sexually exploiting
her as a 15-year-old.

Hollingworth said in 2002 that it was "not sex abuse" by the priest, and later defrocked bishop, Donald Shearman,
but "rather the other way round".       Unbelievable.

(As a side note, Hollingworth is currently receiving $600,000 per year
as a taxpayer-funded vice-regal pension—and no, that's not a typo.)
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Just gonna go out on a limb and say that holy water is supposed to have healing properties. Sorta seems like they don’t really believe that now, either.

That is all.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • SYZ