Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Heart Attack Monday

https://www.wusa9.com/article/weather/we...105dfc255a

There is a superstition (?) that we see a bump up in myocardial infarcts on the Monday following the start of Daylight Savings Time.
There are those in my department who tell me this is true .. i.e. nurses who have worked a long time in the critical care units.  
Maybe it's true.

Doesn't matter ... we're all gonna die of Coronavirus anyway. Big Grin
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aegon, Dancefortwo

(03-09-2020, 03:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: https://www.wusa9.com/article/weather/we...105dfc255a

There is a superstition (?) that we see a bump up in myocardial infarcts on the Monday following the start of Daylight Savings Time.
There are those in my department who tell me this is true .. i.e. nurses who have worked a long time in the critical care units.  
Maybe it's true.

Doesn't matter ... we're all gonna die of Coronavirus anyway. Big Grin

Doesn't surprise me - these stupid time changes piss me off, too.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Going against the tide again but I LOOOOOVES me some Daylights Savings Time.  I'm happy to see it come and sorry when it goes away.  I love that after dinner the sun is still up and I can go out for a long walk and see where I'm going and it's not all dark and gloomy.  I wish is DST was all year long.

Edit to add: Some of the most superstitious people I've ever known are nurses. Just sayin.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Fireball, brunumb

In Arizona we don't change time.  Probably because we have too many old fucks.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I get off work every Monday morning and then have the next three nights off work.

No Monday madness for me.

(03-09-2020, 04:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote: In Arizona we don't change time.  Probably because we have too many old fucks.

I wish they would just leave it alone, as DST. There is no reason for it anymore.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ

Cops in LA used to tell me about "Full moonatics." Seemed like every day was a full moon in California.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The week prior to the DST change I set my alarm one hour earlier, my version of cardio training.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(03-09-2020, 03:22 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Going against the tide again but I LOOOOOVES me some Daylights Savings Time.  I'm happy to see it come and sorry when it goes away.  I love that after dinner the sun is still up and I can go out for a long walk and see where I'm going and it's not all dark and gloomy.  I wish is DST was all year long.

Edit to add:  Some of the most superstitious people I've ever known are nurses.  Just sayin.

In that case you'd be on board with one way to handle DST -- make it permanent. It isn't so much DST itself, as the twice-yearly time change.

Of course anyone who's traveled the world much knows an hour change isn't relatively a big deal, particularly when it happens on a weekend.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Fireball, isbelldl

(03-09-2020, 06:16 PM)mordant Wrote: ...Of course anyone who's travelled the world much knows an hour change isn't relatively a big deal, particularly when it happens on a weekend.

I suffer from a circadian rhythm disorder, so although I've travelled globally eastwards numerous times,
as well as the less debilitating westwards, I've never suffered jet lag in my life. I have no understanding
of how it would even feel. I guess that's an advantage???
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(03-09-2020, 06:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 06:16 PM)mordant Wrote: ...Of course anyone who's travelled the world much knows an hour change isn't relatively a big deal, particularly when it happens on a weekend.

I suffer from a circadian rhythm disorder, so although I've travelled globally eastwards numerous times,
as well as the less debilitating westwards, I've never suffered jet lag in my life.  I have no understanding
of how it would even feel.  I guess that's an advantage???

Jet lag means you are wide awake all night and can't keep your eyes open during the day. Unless you flew to your destination to party all night and sleep all day, it ruins your trip pretty good. Takes a day or two to get over it.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

Did a little bit of research on this.

Daylight saving in Australia was first adopted in World War I to save fuel, by cutting down on
artificial lighting. But it proved so unpopular after it was introduced in 1917, that it was abandoned
the very same year. The federal government reintroduced one-hour daylight saving in 1942,
during World War II, and it remained in force until 1944.  That was the end of daylight saving in
Australia until 1967, when most of our states started reintroducing it permanently. Daylight
saving means Australia's three standard time zones are split into five for 6 months of the year.
Dr Moira Junge from the Australian Sleep Health Foundation said, "during the first 24 hours after
the clock changes there can be an increase in accidents."  (Although she cited no research findings.)

An Abstract from PubMed, March 2014:

BACKGROUND:

Prior research has shown a transient increase in the incidence of acute myocardial infarction (AMI)
after daylight savings time (DST) in the spring as well as a decrease in AMI after returning to
standard time in the fall. These findings have not been verified in a broader population and if
extant, may have significant public health and policy implications.

METHODS:

We assessed changes in admissions for AMI undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
in the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium (BMC2) database for the
weeks following the four spring and three fall DST changes between March 2010 and September
2013. A negative binomial regression model was used to adjust for trend and seasonal variation.

RESULTS:

There was no difference in the total weekly number of PCIs performed for AMI for either the fall or
spring time changes in the time period analysed. After adjustment for trend and seasonal effects,
the Monday following spring time changes was associated with a 24% increase in daily AMI counts
and the Tuesday following fall changes was conversely associated with a 21% reduction. No other
weekdays in the weeks following DST changes demonstrated significant associations.

CONCLUSIONS:

In the week following the seasonal time change, DST impacts the timing of presentations for AMI
but does not influence the overall incidence of this disease.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

I just want them to quit fucking with my head! I can deal with seasonal daylight/ dark shifts. As to Min: I grew up in AZ. No problem noted with leaving the fucking clock alone!
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"
The following 1 user Likes Chimp3's post:
  • Dom