Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I Have Wondered About

I'm counting on Dr. Sumguy to invent anything we need to make this work. His track record is 100%.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(03-03-2020, 09:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 09:07 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You think there will be survivors. That's cute.

Oh, humans are like roaches..... you can't kill us all.

I agree.  Some will survive.  Evolution will continue.  It always does.

At first I thought this thread was about anything people have wondered about, not a specific think like living on Mars. Oh, well.
                                                         T4618

Evolution continuing does not guarantee humans continuing. Ask the dodo.

(03-04-2020, 05:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Evolution continuing does not guarantee humans continuing. Ask the dodo.

I would but he won't stop tweeting.

[Image: 1479333586338.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Chas, Fireball

Here's a question. Mars has a weak magnetosphere, I wonder if man could figure out a way to bolster that? That's the true terraforming.

found some of this on the terraforming wiki
"One key aspect of terraforming Mars is to protect the atmosphere (both present and future-built) from being lost into space. Some scientists hypothesize that creating a planet-wide artificial magnetosphere would be helpful in resolving this issue. According to two NIFS Japanese scientists, it is feasible to do that with current technology by building a system of refrigerated latitudinal superconducting rings, each carrying a sufficient amount of direct current.[62]

In the same report, it is claimed that the economic impact of the system can be minimized by using it also as a planetary energy transfer and storage system (SMES).

Another study proposes the deployment of a magnetic dipole shield at the Mars L1 Lagrange point, therefore creating a partial and distant artificial magnetosphere located between Mars and the Sun, that would protect the whole planet from solar wind and radiation.[21]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraformi...ce_weather

What about making Mars a ringed planet, ringed with a lot of magnetized asteroids?

(03-04-2020, 07:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: What about making Mars a ringed planet, ringed with a lot of magnetized asteroids?

Lots of little asteroids that attract one another sounds like a good idea because...?

Saturn would sue for copyright infringement.

(03-04-2020, 02:39 AM)Minimalist Wrote: That lets the US out.  We can't think that far in advance.

I don't think we're unique in that regard.

IMO he should be focusing on asteroid mining. And space manufacturing.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Probably more lucrative but no where near as sexy.

(03-04-2020, 07:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: What about making Mars a ringed planet, ringed with a lot of magnetized asteroids?

Or... how's about a ring around Uranus?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Fireball

(03-09-2020, 06:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:

Or... how's about a ring around Uranus?

Searching for Klingons.  Girl_yes2
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • SYZ