Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral command theory is false.

[Image: girl-gangs-that-stop-at-nothing.png]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus, Link, SYZ

(03-04-2020, 03:29 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: girl-gangs-that-stop-at-nothing.png]

I don't understand why I laughed at this.   Thumbs Up

Yet I was ignored.

(03-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Link Wrote: This is because you guys don't pick "God's commands define what is good" you go more the emanation route. That God is good.

Okay then, good luck with your God that is not necessarily good. BTW, you have a problem with Euthyphro then.

(03-04-2020, 04:22 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 03:24 PM)Link Wrote: This is because you guys don't pick "God's commands define what is good" you go more the emanation route. That God is good.

Okay then, good luck with your God that is not necessarily good. BTW, you have a problem with Euthyphro then.

Jesus Christ bro, there is a big misunderstanding. You don't at all get what I'm saying.

(03-04-2020, 04:22 PM)SteveII Wrote: Okay then, good luck with your God that is not necessarily good. BTW, you have a problem with Euthyphro then.
Actually not at all. The dilemma applies exactly when you claim your god is good.
R.I.P. Hannes

Morals are religious claptrap and I pay no attention to them. Ethics are human-established and worth debating.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Deesse23, Phaedrus

(03-05-2020, 07:37 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 04:22 PM)SteveII Wrote: Okay then, good luck with your God that is not necessarily good. BTW, you have a problem with Euthyphro then.
Actually not at all. The dilemma applies exactly when you claim your god is good.

No,

The first horn "is something good because the gods will it" or
The second horn "do the gods will it because it is good?”

The third option (that has no unwanted conclusion): it is not God's will that defines the good but his unchanging nature that governs his will and his commands to us.

With a third option, there is no dilemma.

(03-05-2020, 02:19 PM)SteveII Wrote: The first horn "is something good because the gods will it" or

The third option (that has no unwanted conclusion): it is not God's will that defines the good but his unchanging nature that governs his will and his commands to us.

Fuck me!    What a load of absolute horseshit.     Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus, TheGentlemanBastard, Finite Monkeys, brunumb, brewerb

(03-04-2020, 11:09 PM)Link Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 04:22 PM)SteveII Wrote:

Jesus Christ bro, there is a big misunderstanding. You don't at all get what I'm saying.

Most certainly not because your are typically not precise in your language. You started a thread claiming moral command theory is false. I tried to point out that your reasoning was confusing and contradictory (which you ignored). Your "holy book" conclusion at the bottom of your OP does not follow from your reasoning.

You claim there is an "original" command theory (yours) but you don't articulate it past restating what all Divine Command Theories claim: our morality comes from God's commands. You are failing to see the differences come in the answering the question 'why?'

If your 'why' is insufficient, your theory is insufficient. It does not follow that Divine Command Theory is false.

(03-05-2020, 02:19 PM)SteveII Wrote: The third option (that has no unwanted conclusion): it is not God's will that defines the good but his unchanging nature that governs his will and his commands to us.

The first two options are questions about the source of good. Your addition is a bald faced assertion. Dismissed.
You may argue that your assertion is the answer to the dilemma, but it still is an assertion (which i dismiss). I could just as well argue that gods nature is all bad. Prove me wrong.
If its his nature, then he has no command over goodness, and i consider your assertion being part of the second horn. God then does not determine what is good, but what determines gods nature (and thus is *external* to god) determines what is good, and thus goodnes is separate from good, he just happens to have this trait. Ergo: You still havent solved the dilemma, you just pretended to.

But thats besides the point: You claimed that a god that is not good has a problem with the dilemma. It doesnt, exactly because when and if a god may not be good.
R.I.P. Hannes

(03-05-2020, 04:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 02:19 PM)SteveII Wrote: The third option (that has no unwanted conclusion): it is not God's will that defines the good but his unchanging nature that governs his will and his commands to us.

The first two options are questions about the source of good. Your addition is a bald faced assertion. Dismissed.

You may argue that your assertion is the answer to the dilemma, but it still is an assertion (which i dismiss). I could just as well argue that gods nature is all bad. Prove me wrong.

You could certainly argue that. However, we are talking about my God, so, you are stuck with my definition if you want to argue attributes. Are you going to argue that the traditional view of God is something other than omnibenevolent?

om·ni·be·nev·o·lent
/ˌämnəbəˈnevələnt/
adjective
(of a deity) possessing perfect or unlimited goodness.

Quote:If its his nature, then he has no command over goodness, and i consider your assertion being part of the second horn. God then does not determine what is good, but what determines gods nature (and thus is *external* to god) determines what is good, and thus goodnes is separate from good, he just happens to have this trait.  Ergo: You still havent solved the dilemma, you just pretended to.

Why is the second horn objectionable? Because there would exist a separate standard and that creates an unresolvable problem of where that standard comes from: morality is contingent on something else.

The third option: it is not God's will that defines the good but his unchanging nature that governs his will and his commands to us. This is clearly not the same thing as the second horn because it lacks the unwanted conclusion the second horn has. Of course God is determining what is good because you cannot separate God from his nature/property--by definition of the terms nature/property of a person.

Quote:But thats besides the point: You claimed that a god that is not good has a problem with the dilemma. It doesnt, exactly because when and if a god may not be good.

Link was actually rejecting a description of God as my third option describes. If Link believes in a God that either defines good by his commands or is beholding to some other standard, he has to pick his poison -- one of the other horns and their unwanted consequences. HOWEVER, he seems to WANT horn 1 to justify his rejection of his religion.

I wasn't rejecting 3. I agree with 3, but command theory is based on 1.

Also 3 is a Theistic version of 2.

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

By the way, 2 doesn't imply it exists outside of God. Which is why 3 is a Theistic version of 2. And to make an argument based on 2, has nothing to do with command theory.

Command Theory exists on premise 1, which is proving false by philosophy.

And as for me not believing in my religion, it's because no one (including myself) properly represents God's book nor the family of that reminder, today. Official Islam is false, just as all sects and divisions around titles that are disputed with further divisions are proven false and no meaning in the title.

Abraham, Moses, Mohammad, Ali, etc, were not Muslims or Shiites, they truly submitted to God without sectarian division from humans nor sought a title to define them, but rather, titles were given to them as descriptive accurate reality of who they are. They submitted to God but were not Muslim in the sense of what Muslim means today.

One of the proofs that Islam is false, is that everyone justifies the worse evils through command theory.

Shit a fucking brick... how much of this mental midget's bullshit do we have to put up with?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(03-05-2020, 02:19 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 07:37 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:

No,

The first horn "is something good because the gods will it" or

No. False. The third option is no third anything. It's simply a rehash of #1. 
#1 says nothing about why #1 is done. His 3rd option is nothing but an explanation of #1. 
Fail again Stevie. It's nothing but a tautology. It's good because god wills it. Unless there is an external standard, it can't be said to be anything, otherwise you're just saying god is god. A meaningless tautology.
Test

It's a rehash of 2.

It's a rehash, and it's saying God's commands based on good, but the goodness is himself. That's all that is different.

And it's means God if is going to be a moral authority, has to provide insights and proofs to his commands. He is authority to be relied on in manifesting what is good, but it's not that he just commands arbitrarily and it's good because it his commands.

(03-04-2020, 03:29 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: girl-gangs-that-stop-at-nothing.png]

"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(03-22-2020, 09:02 PM)Link Wrote: It's a rehash of 2.

Actually it isn't ... but thanks for proving you are incapable of critical thinking.
Test

(03-22-2020, 09:10 PM)Link Wrote: And it's means God if is going to be a moral authority, has to provide insights and proofs to his commands. He is authority to be relied on in manifesting what is good, but it's not that he just commands arbitrarily and it's good because it his commands.

Shut the fuck up. 
Which of the thousands of gods are you talking about.
Test