Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human rights proving every single one Thread

I took a human Rights class. Got an A in it.

Let's make a thread about proving every human right. I loved the human rights class so much but we only touched basis on some rights.

Who's with me?

I've noticed that people don't have the right to stay alive.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

How did you answer the question about Honor Killing?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(03-01-2020, 04:38 PM)Link Wrote: Let's make a thread about proving every human right. I loved the human rights class so much but we only touched basis on some rights.
There is nothing to prove about human rights. They are arbitrary. Granted by humans to humans.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Chas, epronovost, Paleophyte

(03-01-2020, 04:38 PM)Link Wrote: I took a human Rights class. Got an A in it.

Let's make a thread about proving every human right. I loved the human rights class so much but we only touched basis on some rights.

Who's with me?

Bully for you. 
Too bad you missed the entire point of the class. 
If you had any respect for the rights of others, you would not be posting here. 
Get lost.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Chas, SYZ

I don't understand the hostility.

(03-01-2020, 05:30 PM)Link Wrote: I don't understand the hostility.

It's nothing personal.  It's Bucky's style.   hobo

However, you are starting a lot of discussions all at once. I have been posting for a year and a half, and haven't started that many.

(03-01-2020, 05:43 PM)Alan V Wrote:

It's nothing personal.  It's Bucky's style.   hobo

However, you are starting a lot of discussions all at once.  I have been posting for a year and a half, and haven't started that many.

It's been dealt with.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, skyking

Cut to its essential meaning, a "right" is to be able to behave in a particular manner without interference or inciting adverse personal consequences.  If the behavior doesn't affect others, emotionally or physically, or their circumstances adversely, such as the "right" to use Tide detergent instead of Formula 409 to brush your teeth with, it's a "right" we don't pay attention to.  The "rights" that call attention to themselves are those that have to potential to affect others that they would perceive as adverse, and so exist only to the extent they are enforced, either by yourself via superior power (might making right), or via a government asserting its superior power on your behalf.

The concept of "god given" rights is a fantasy since no god has ever asserted its power directly on anyone's behalf to enforce any.  The U.S. Constitution asserts a number of "inalienable" rights, but they are "inalienable" only as far as the U.S. government seriously and consistently enforces them.  The "right" that forbids unreasonable seizure was eviscerated by forfeiture law, so today exists only as a memory.

The opportunities for some particular individual behavior to be perceived by someone else as adversely affecting them are infinite.  That makes it difficult to enumerate what kinds of behaviors constitute "Human Rights".  Worse, in virtually every case of a behavior that affects others, (which is most of our behavior), some will be affected beneficially and others adversely, and to various degrees.  By what scale do you determine how much benefit it takes to supersede adversity?

Nonetheless, some human conditions have emerged as "rights" to aspire to, free expression being among the paramount.  Freedom from pointless distress could be another, but our species too much enjoys inflicting pointless distress as one of our favorite recreations so that "right" may forever be unenforceable.

The rights to housing, good health and education are often recognized as potential rights, but their enforcement would require one faction of society subsidizing another, an adversity "baked in" if you're one of the subsidizers that you may chafe at. "Rights" that may seem no brainers usually embody complex reverberations of high consequence that are "no brainers" to avoid.

Did you have a "right" to take that class?  Was it your "right" to get an A for your achievements therein?  Complicated subject.  Congrats on your A.
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Dānu

Forum Rules Wrote:This forum was created to foster community between atheists, to provide an outlet for closeted atheists, and to help curious and doubting theists understand what atheism is.  We are open to all regardless of race, creed, sex, or sexual preference.  

Capiche?
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Deesse23, Bucky Ball

The gods have nothing to do with human rights.
The framers/founders of the US documents lived in the Enlightenment Period.
They spoke as they did, "back in the day".
https://www.un.org/en/universal-declarat...an-rights/
The updated version is the UN Declaration on Human Rights.
The basis of the rights is *being a human*, ... nothing is granted by any of the gods.
Test

Seems you have a passive-aggressive personality disorder. Why don't you
take it somewhere else.     And don't let the door hit you on your way out.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Human rights movement relies on rights being manifest to common understanding. Most laws ought to be built on human rights and particular application of them. The laws in particular are not human rights, but they are trying to implement human rights.

I think human rights should be recognized by all religions and atheists. There will some disagreements on some, but we should discuss this.

And in fact, this is greater way for us to learn from other cultures and religions, to discuss more about human rights then anything else.

Every culture believes in human rights and can implement them differently, this is not the issue. However, human rights has to be come a grass roots movement and common sense has to be the foundation of it!

Bucky and SYZ are assholes, pay no attention to them.

Yes laws are built on "rights" but one thing that happens with the law is that there can be a clash of rights and then a hierarchy of rights needs to be established. For example your right to be free from arbitrary detention against the rights of others in society to be safe.

(03-03-2020, 10:47 PM)Aractus Wrote:  then a hierarchy of rights needs to be established.

Agreed!

(03-01-2020, 05:25 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 04:38 PM)Link Wrote: Let's make a thread about proving every human right. I loved the human rights class so much but we only touched basis on some rights.
There is nothing to prove about human rights. They are arbitrary. Granted by humans to humans.

That doesnt make them arbitrary though.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Link, Mark

I heard someone here had the scoop on peyote.

(03-03-2020, 11:36 PM)no one Wrote: I heard someone here had the scoop on peyote.

I'd settle for some good mushrooms

(03-03-2020, 11:15 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 05:25 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:

Why not?
R.I.P. Hannes

(03-04-2020, 12:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:15 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 05:25 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: There is nothing to prove about human rights. They are arbitrary. Granted by humans to humans.

Why not?

It's not as if human rights are random. We established them for clear reasons. Are they arbitrary because there's no god to bestow them? If you dont believe in god, why describe things relative to god?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • Mark

(03-04-2020, 12:33 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:15 PM)Aegon Wrote: That doesnt make them arbitrary though.

Why not?

It's not as if human rights are random. We established them for clear reasons. Are they arbitrary because there's no god to bestow them? If you dont believe in god, why describe things relative to god?

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that they have no objective existence. They aren't arbitrary, as they appear to be dictated by facts of human nature and societies, but since human nature and societies are a purely contingent factor, they aren't objective in the usual sense.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Aegon, Deesse23, Chas

Unfortunately, a reputation can sometimes precede someone.

I personally have no animosity toward you, however.

(03-03-2020, 10:38 PM)Link Wrote: ...Every culture believes in human rights and can implement them differently, this is not the issue.

Hey shit-for-brains...

Of course, it is an issue.  

A truly grandiose hope.  But look at the Islamic state of Iraq for example, with a population of 38 million (98%) Muslims...

Women have few legal protections to shield them from domestic violence. Iraq’s criminal code includes provisions
criminalising physical assault but lacks any explicit mention of domestic violence. While sexual assault is criminalised,
article 398 provides that such charges be dropped if the assailant marries the victim.

While no recent national studies on domestic violence have been carried out, women’s rights organisations reported
a high rate of domestic violence.

Iraq’s criminal code does not prohibit same-sex sexual relations, although article 394 makes it illegal to engage in
extra-marital sex. The penal code holds that any person who commits an "immodest act" in public can be put in
prison for up to six months, a vague provision that could be used to target sexual and gender minorities.

Iraq has one of the highest rates of executions in the world, ranked in the top four alongside China, Iran (99% Muslim),
and Saudi Arabia (nominally 100% Muslim).

—Which is why Islam is the most universally despised religion in the world.       Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(03-04-2020, 02:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 10:38 PM)Link Wrote: ...Every culture believes in human rights and can implement them differently, this is not the issue.

Hey shit-for-brains...

Of course, it is an issue.  

A truly grandiose hope.  But look at the Islamic state of Iraq for example, with a population of 38 million (98%) Muslims...

Women have few legal protections to shield them from domestic violence. Iraq’s criminal code includes provisions
criminalising physical assault but lacks any explicit mention of domestic violence. While sexual assault is criminalised,
article 398 provides that such charges be dropped if the assailant marries the victim.

While no recent national studies on domestic violence have been carried out, women’s rights organisations reported
a high rate of domestic violence.

Iraq’s criminal code does not prohibit same-sex sexual relations, although article 394 makes it illegal to engage in
extra-marital sex. The penal code holds that any person who commits an "immodest act" in public can be put in
prison for up to six months, a vague provision that could be used to target sexual and gender minorities.

Iraq has one of the highest rates of executions in the world, ranked in the top four alongside China, Iran (99% Muslim),
and Saudi Arabia (nominally 100% Muslim).

—Which is why Islam is the most universally despised religion in the world.       Angry

It's an issue if a culture or religion doesn't recognize a human right. But if you argue for human rights, you will empower the minorities of these religions who always believed in those human rights.

(03-04-2020, 12:33 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:15 PM)Aegon Wrote: That doesnt make them arbitrary though.

Why not?

They are arbitrary. There is no objective foundation. If you ground your moral system on "human well being" its an arbitrary choice you made. You cant give an objectve reason for why you chose this baseline and you cant rule out that someone else choses another baseline.

Of course once you accept "human well being" as a given foundation, everything else that follows is not arbitrary but a logic consequence. Still, the foundation itself is arbitrary.
R.I.P. Hannes