Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathable oxygen in another galaxy?

According to this, yes

Quote:Astronomers have spotted molecular oxygen in a galaxy far far away, marking the first time that this important element has ever been detected outside of the Milky Way.

Now, a team led by Junzhi Wang, an astronomer at the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory, reports the discovery of molecular oxygen in a dazzling galaxy called Markarian 231, located 581 million light years from the Milky Way.

(02-29-2020, 02:46 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: According to this, yes

Quote:Astronomers have spotted molecular oxygen in a galaxy far far away, marking the first time that this important element has ever been detected outside of the Milky Way.

Now, a team led by Junzhi Wang, an astronomer at the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory, reports the discovery of molecular oxygen in a dazzling galaxy called Markarian 231, located 581 million light years from the Milky Way.

In a galaxy, far far away? Huh
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Phaedrus

Long ago?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Oxygen is the second most common element in the Universe, after administratium.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Possiblys Vaders mask is broken. Girl_yes2
R.I.P. Hannes

Without a sufficient amount of hydrogen sulfide it just wouldn't feel like home.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(02-29-2020, 06:10 PM)brewerb Wrote: Without a sufficient amount of hydrogen sulfide it just wouldn't feel like home.

Well, there goes the neighborhood.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • brewerb

(02-29-2020, 04:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Long ago?

About 581 million years ago.   Nod
No gods necessary

(02-29-2020, 02:46 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: According to this, yes

No. They've spotted O2 in a galaxy a long way away. To be breathable you'd want it pretty close to atmospheric pressure and not filled with horiffying contaminants. It's almost certainly neither. So what they've found is diatomic oxygen in a galaxy far away, which is pretty cool, but not breathable.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Phaedrus

I wonder how much oxygen we'd need to bring with us to make it to this other oxygen positive galaxy?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(03-01-2020, 06:35 AM)Mark Wrote: I wonder how much oxygen we'd need to bring with us to make it to this other oxygen positive galaxy?

Right off the top of my head and applying well known scientific principles I'd have to say "enough."

(03-01-2020, 10:10 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 06:35 AM)Mark Wrote: I wonder how much oxygen we'd need to bring with us to make it to this other oxygen positive galaxy?

Right off the top of my head and applying well known scientific principles I'd have to say "enough."

Yeah that would be my preference.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

It won't matter greatly. You'll run out of lifespan long before you get there. And you might be in for a bit of disappointment. The light that they measured that has the telltale signature of O2 molecules left that galaxy during the Ediacaran. Round about the time that Hallucigenia was crawling swimming locomoting around the seas. Conditions may have changed over the last half billion years.

You see, the oxygen is already there. we just need to bring a very small tiny amount, and that would fix everything for us!
(skips out of thread on my naturopathic toe-shoes)

(03-03-2020, 04:04 PM)skyking Wrote: You see, the oxygen is already there. we just need to bring a very small tiny amount, and that would fix everything for us!
(skips out of thread on my naturopathic toe-shoes)

There are clouds of the stuff floating around out in space. Water is common because hydrogen and oxygen are common.

I've been binge-watching the expanse on Amazon Prime. it's been lots of fun, they ignore so many things but it still has a flavor of accuracy. As in the other thread, it doesn't really deal with that fatal space radiation thing Tongue

(03-03-2020, 04:40 PM)skyking Wrote: I've been binge-watching the expanse on Amazon Prime. it's been lots of fun, they ignore so many things but it still has a flavor of accuracy. As in the other thread, it doesn't really deal with that fatal space radiation thing Tongue

That's because Dr. Sumguy invented this thing so you don't have to worry about radiations.

But seriously, consider that you don't have coronal mass ejections all the time. Then consider what you can do if you hear one is coming. The best radiation shield proposed so far is plain old ice. You need to bring water anyway. You put a tank covering, say, one side of the ship with about a foot of water. Then if a CME is predicted to be coming your way you huddle behind the ice for a while. Reports are there is a lot of water on the Moon, no surprising if it was once part of Earth, so lifting costs wouldn't be that great.

in the Expanse they are mining the belt. plenty of ice to be had there

(03-03-2020, 05:38 PM)skyking Wrote: in the Expanse they are mining the belt. plenty of ice to be had there

And with a supply of cheap rocket motors and guidance packages they could pelt Mars with a great many ice balls, enough perhaps to change the climate there.

(03-03-2020, 04:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 04:40 PM)skyking Wrote: I've been binge-watching the expanse on Amazon Prime. it's been lots of fun, they ignore so many things but it still has a flavor of accuracy. As in the other thread, it doesn't really deal with that fatal space radiation thing Tongue

That's because Dr. Sumguy invented this thing so you don't have to worry about radiations.

But seriously, consider that you don't have coronal mass ejections all the time. Then consider what you can do if you hear one is coming. The best radiation shield proposed so far is plain old ice. You need to bring water anyway. You put a tank covering, say, one side of the ship with about a foot of water. Then if a CME is predicted to be coming your way you huddle behind the ice for a while. Reports are there is a lot of water on the Moon, no surprising if it was once part of Earth, so lifting costs wouldn't be that great.

You may want more than a foot of the stuff for long duration trips.

And CMEs may not be your biggest worry. Solar wind keeps out the worst of the cosmic radiation, but if you're mucking about out past the Voyager spacecraft then you no longer have that protection. Cosmic rays are very energetic and the exotic particles that they spawn can penetrate hundreds of meters of rock. They aren't as instantly lethal as a powerful CME but they're constant. Without effective shielding the cumulative dose over a few years would be very unpleasant. A magnetic bubble might help but they're still working on that.

Rough numbers. And we're going to Mars, we're not looking for the Wheelmen of Aldebaran I.