Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacteria Engineered to Protect Bees from Pests and Pathogens

https://news.utexas.edu/2020/01/30/bacte...pathogens/

Quote:AUSTIN, Texas — Scientists from The University of Texas at Austin report in the journal Science that they have developed a new strategy to protect honey bees from a deadly trend known as colony collapse: genetically engineered strains of bacteria.

An increasing number of honey bee colonies in the U.S. have seen the dwindling of their adult bees. According to a national survey, beekeepers lost nearly 40% of their honey bee colonies last winter, the highest rate reported since the survey began 13 years ago.

The engineered bacteria live in the guts of honey bees and act as biological factories, pumping out medicines protecting the bees against two major causes of colony collapse: Varroa mites and deformed wing virus. The researchers believe their method could one day scale up for agricultural use because the engineered bacteria are easy to grow, inoculating the bees is straightforward and the engineered bacteria are unlikely to spread beyond bees.

Save the bees!
The following 7 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Alan V, Deesse23, Dānu, brewerb, SYZ, brunumb

Great!  Silly question.  Would this be considered a genetically modified organism?  Seems like it would be.  Not that I have anything against GMO's.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(02-23-2020, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Great!  Silly question.  Would this be considered a genetically modified organism?  Seems like it would be.  Not that I have anything against GMO's.

I would say so. Big Grin

(02-23-2020, 03:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(02-23-2020, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Great!  Silly question.  Would this be considered a genetically modified organism?  Seems like it would be.  Not that I have anything against GMO's.

I would say so. Big Grin

Some people are going to have a cow over that information.  I can see the woo-hoo vegan crowd getting hysterical over this already.  "OMG,  Honey is TOXIC  Bees are Toxic!  Toxic, I tell you!!!! Scientists are EVIL!!!!!!"
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(02-23-2020, 05:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-23-2020, 03:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

I would say so. Big Grin

Some people are going to have a cow over that information.  I can see the woo-hoo vegan crowd getting hysterical over this already.  "OMG,  Honey is TOXIC  Bees are Toxic!  Toxic, I tell you!!!! Scientists are EVIL!!!!!!"

Clearly it's a conspiracy to inject humans with POISON!!
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo

CHEMTRAILS near ground level!
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 
The following 3 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Dancefortwo