Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has being on an atheist forums changed you?

(03-02-2020, 11:59 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 05:10 PM)Link Wrote: Reasons I would want to be an Atheist:

(1) Unlimited sexual relationships (swinger life style) becomes possible.
(2) I would live life for fun, wouldn't care too much about duty.
(3) No guilt for my arrogance.
(4) Almost every female I get a crush on ends up being Atheist.
(5) No need to study religion(s), just Ethics.

Smile

Being an atheist is not a lifestyle choice.  The inability to believe in any gods does not give you free rein to do anything you want.  Behaving like a prick comes from within and infects people from both sides of the theistic fence.  Your desires, as reflected in the list above, tells us a lot about the real you and it is not flattering.

I didn't say anyone who wants to become an Atheists, wants to do this for those reasons. I said specifically me and benefits I Could come with. 

I agree with you it's not a lifestyle choice, otherwise, I Could easily just become Atheist.

It doesn't work that way.

You guys don't realize it, but, I'm highly attracted it to left-handed path, paganism or neo-paganism, etc, and all sorts of new age type spirituality, to escape all these limits I have in Abrahamic paradigm.

But I've chosen not to. So I'm not making it up, I'm actually very much attracted to swinger style, etc, seems kinky and cool, but I trust in God's vision and guidance, and know why such things have been forbidden. So I prefer reason over passion in this regard.

Seek the truth, young man.

Well, it never changed my atheism because I have always been this way. However, the biggest change I found was the fucking ability to actually have an intelligent conversation with some people who are smarter than I am. I enjoy learning more about things than I already know, or learning about things I once never even knew existed.

But I could never find this level of intelligent dialogue out in the real world. It's full of fucking conspiracy theorists, religious nutters, or people who just don't have the thirst for knowledge that I do. I'm sure there are many here who experienced a sense of loneliness like I did all because trying to find someone in the real world who shares your intellectual interests is like trying to pick fly shit out of pepper.

Atheist sites are the best sites for resources that appease the curious mind.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 3 users Like Free's post:
  • brunumb, Alan V, Mark

(03-03-2020, 01:16 AM)Link Wrote: You guys don't realize it, but, I'm highly attracted it to left-handed path, paganism or neo-paganism, etc, and all sorts of new age type spirituality, to escape all these limits I have in Abrahamic paradigm.

But I've chosen not to. So I'm not making it up, I'm actually very much attracted to swinger style, etc, seems kinky and cool, but I trust in God's vision and guidance, and know why such things have been forbidden.  So I prefer reason over passion in this regard.

I hate to inform you, scholars no longer use the term "pagan" or "paganism". 
It went out a long time ago. 

Islam is not really an Abrahamic religion. The god Allah was never the same as the god of Abraham. 
They were brothers, and both the sons of the chief Babylonian god, El Elyon. 
The claim of a relationship to Abraham's god is easily proven false.

Quote:So because science has had success in some fields it is inevitable that it will succeed in every field?

Well it certainly has a far greater chance than some schmuck looking for validation of what he already thinks is true.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(03-03-2020, 04:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Islam is not really an Abrahamic religion. 

Islam is an Abrahamic religion according to Islam.  It reconfigured certain central myths per the inspirations of the Prophet.  Fan fiction writer's license, I guess.

Is Islam an "Abrahamic" Religion?   According to the Qur’an, which Muslims believe was
dictated directly by God, Abraham (Ibrahim) was a Hanif (Muslim). When Allah tested
Abraham, he was ready to sacrifice his son, Ishmael, but was released by Allah from
that duty. Abraham and Ishmael preached Islam, and travelled to Bekka (Mecca), where
they built humanity’s first temple, the Kaaba, the place for Muslim pilgrimage even today.
True Muslims believe in the original, universal Hanifi religion (din al-fitrah), which was
"sent down to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Patriarchs, and what
was given to Moses and Jesus and the prophets".

Howard Kainz, The Catholic Thing,  26 Jan 2017.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

Link, I was areligious most of my life. Didn't have time for any religious stuff. Around 2008 I decided that was me being lazy. If you choose some sort of religious ideas it's because that's what you want, not because those ideas are superior to all the other religious ideas. In the end they're all equally silly.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Mark

Smile

I don't see how any of these things have anything to do with atheism. Looks like you are internally rebelling against a sexually repressive life style you have imposed on yourself. 

I am starting to see why you are drawn to strict religions - you don't trust yourself to do the right thing without coercion. That's really sad.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • julep, Fireball, brunumb

(03-03-2020, 12:33 PM)Dom Wrote:

I don't see how any of these things have anything to do with atheism. Looks like you are internally rebelling against a sexually repressive life style you have imposed on yourself. 

I am starting to see why you are drawn to strict religions - you don't trust yourself to do the right thing without coercion. That's really sad.

Apparently, without the influence of his holy book, Link would suddenly become a murderous
sex fiend, unable to control his emotions, and without any care or respect for others?  How
does that fit with the thousands of catholic priests who've sexually abused tens of thousands
of children?  They were influenced (controlled?) by the same holy book surely?

It's also funny that Link thinks atheists exhibit "arrogance".  Particularly considering the arrogance
and condescension he displays in nearly every one of his comments here.  

He's the classic religious hypocrite.      Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(03-03-2020, 01:16 AM)Link Wrote: You guys don't realize it, but, I'm highly attracted it to left-handed path, paganism or neo-paganism, etc, and all sorts of new age type spirituality, to escape all these limits I have in Abrahamic paradigm.

But I've chosen not to. So I'm not making it up, I'm actually very much attracted to swinger style, etc, seems kinky and cool, but I trust in God's vision and guidance, and know why such things have been forbidden.  So I prefer reason over passion in this regard.

Faith is not reason. Facepalm
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I don't think it really has changed me to any notable extent. I stopped believing in deities or anything else supernatural before I browsed any atheist forums. It's just nice to have people to talk to that don't believe in a magic person that controls everything.
The following 3 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb, Gwaithmir