Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2328 Reasons Christianity is false

For your reading and viewing pleasure.  This is one of my favorite websites.   Enjoy.   Big Grin

http://www.kyroot.com/

I wanted to quote this little gem from the 2328

"Using orthodox Christian doctrine, it must be assumed that some people will go to Heaven and some people will go to Hell. Since judgment is an individual matter, it must also be assumed that some members of the same family can end up in both places. This presents a terrible problem for Christian parents who find themselves in heaven, but discover that their son or daughter is in Hell. It would seem unlikely that they could enjoy this situation or muster the fortitude to worship a god who is simultaneously torturing their children"
                                                         T4618
The following 9 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Phaedrus, brunumb, TheGentlemanBastard, Alan V, Gwaithmir, brewerb, c172, mordant

(02-14-2020, 01:28 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: For your reading and viewing pleasure.  This is one of my favorite websites.   Enjoy.   Big Grin

"Using orthodox Christian doctrine, it must be assumed that some people will go to Heaven and some people will go to Hell.  Since judgment is an individual matter, it must also be assumed that some members of the same family can end up in both places.  This presents a terrible problem for Christian  parents who find themselves in heaven, but discover that their son or daughter is in Hell.  It would seem unlikely that they could enjoy this situation or muster the fortitude to worship a god who is simultaneously torturing their children"

There is one point you are failing to consider.  Everyone who enters either Heaven or Hell will stand in God's presence for judgment.  God is light and in the light of his presence each of us will for the first time see ourselves as we really are.  We will see that we are sinners who deserve nothing except to be condemned to Hell.  Those who enter Heaven will do so only by God's grace and not because they deserve to be there.  Those who enter Hell will receive perfect justice.  They will get exactly what they deserve.

Isaiah the prophet had a vision of God.

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:

“Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
Isaiah 6:1-5 ESV

He was a prophet who had been faithfully serving God and he recognized that in spite of that he was only a sinner.

Even those who are condemned will recognize that they deserve their fate and will still praise God.

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:9-11 ESV

If even those condemned to Hell will still praise God, why shouldn't the parents who are in Heaven.

Keep in mind that someday you will join in praising God whether you do it in Heaven or in Hell.
I do not suffer from insanity.  I enjoy every minute of it.

(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theophilus Wrote: Even those who are condemned will recognize that they deserve their fate and will still praise God.

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

If even those condemned to Hell will still praise God, why shouldn't the parents who are in Heaven.

You're drawing more from this passage than it supports. And it's things like this that underscore how worthless most exegesis is.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • mordant, Cheerful Charlie, GenesisNemesis

(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theophilus Wrote: Keep in mind that someday you will join in praising God whether you do it in Heaven or in Hell.

If someone will be praising God after death, it wouldn't be me.

I won't worship anything. Nothing is worthy of worship, not even the truth. And I have the highest respect for the truth.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis

Obviously, Isaiah was smoking some good weed.  hippy using a bong
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Quote:In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne,

You're overly impressed with hallucinations, Theo.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I only need one really good reason, theophilus just gave it to me.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Alan V, Bucky Ball

Here's another couple of quotes from 2328 Reasons Christianity is False

Quote:During the alleged Egyptian enslavement, God intervened forcefully  to help the Jews to escape their captivity.  He rained down locusts, killed Egyptian babies, killed livestock, brought darkness upon the land, and razed the Egyptians with boils among other atrocities. Then in the final act, he parted the Red Sea to allow the Jews to cross while collapsing it in on and drowning the Egyptians.

However, when the Jews became captives in a much more dire situation, as prisoners of war in Nazi concentration camps, God did……….NOTHING.  He sat back and watched the slaughter of 6,000,000 of his chosen people.

This is a quote from a letter sent to conservative radio talk show host,  Laura Schlessinger, and it is brilliant!

Quote:Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can”t I own Canadians?
I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don”t agree. Can you settle this?
21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev. 24:10-16)? Couldn”t we just stone them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws (Lev. 20:14)?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.
Your devoted disciple and adoring fan, Franc Mosbaugh

This should be required reading for any Christian who proposes that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, and that God’s laws do not change. 

One more quote.  

Quote:There is evidence that the first religious activities ever practiced by hominids began 300,000 to 500,000 years ago, even before modern humans evolved 200,000 years ago.  Organized religion has been traced back to at least 11,000 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_origin_of_religions
Christians must concede that God was watching this happen, and he simply let it happen without any interference until approximately 4,000 years ago when he allegedly elected a Jewish tribe to be his ‘chosen’ people.  So God had no problem with people making up false gods, false religions, and false superstitious beliefs for over 300,000 years and for them to make up false organized religions for 7,000 years.  To any objective, critical-thinking person, this makes no sense.  Why would God allow so many people to become so deceived, to suffer, and to die over false beliefs when he had the ability at the drop of a hat to make his divine presence known?  The answer is: he wouldn’t… if he actually existed.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Alan V, Gwaithmir

(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theohilus Wrote: There is one point you are failing to consider.  Everyone who enters either Heaven or Hell will stand in God's presence for judgment.  God is light and in the light of his presence each of us will for the first time see ourselves as we really are.  We will see that we are sinners who deserve nothing except to be condemned to Hell.  Those who enter Heaven will do so only by God's grace and not because they deserve to be there.  Those who enter Hell will receive perfect justice.  They will get exactly what they deserve.

Isaiah the prophet had a vision of God.

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:

“Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
Isaiah 6:1-5 ESV

He was a prophet who had been faithfully serving God and he recognized that in spite of that he was only a sinner.

The problem with this bullshit is that this Lord of Whatever CREATED these sinners, and when he did, he KNEW they were going to hell.
He is (or would be if he existed, .... and he doesn't .... he's just one of many many made up Canaanite/Babylonian gods) a MONSTER god. In fact Christians CHANGED what Jews believed about the after-life. Jews in the OT did not buy into this nonsense. But Christians took it even further. Aquinas (a "doctor" of Christian theology), said that not only would Christians in heaven be able to see god, but that they would be able to *enjoy* and see the torture of their enemies in hell, .... thereby INCREASING their heavenly joy. SO these parents also get to watch their children being tortured and get to FOREVER wonder what they could have done differently to turn them around .... lovely thought isn't it. Parents who get to watch their children tortured by the god they are supposed to be worshiping and *in the presence* of.... not just today, but for ETERNITY.

You're welcome.
That can be your pious little thought for Valentine's Day.
Ta ta.
Test

(02-14-2020, 01:39 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theophilus Wrote: Even those who are condemned will recognize that they deserve their fate and will still praise God.

You're drawing more from this passage than it supports.  And it's things like this that underscore how worthless most exegesis is.

What am I saying that isn't supported in the passage?  It mentions three places where God is worshiped: heaven, earth, and under the earth.  Since "under the earth" doesn't refer to heaven or earth, it must mean hell.  Those who are condemned to hell will still worship God because they will see that they deserve the punishment they experience.

(02-15-2020, 01:20 PM)theophilus Wrote: What am I saying that isn't supported in the passage?  It mentions three places where God is worshiped: heaven, earth, and under the earth.  Since "under the earth" doesn't refer to heaven or earth, it must mean hell.  Those who are condemned to hell will still worship God because they will see that they deserve the punishment they experience.

Panic Panic Panic
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(02-15-2020, 01:20 PM)theophilus Wrote:

You're drawing more from this passage than it supports.  And it's things like this that underscore how worthless most exegesis is.

What am I saying that isn't supported in the passage?  It mentions three places where God is worshiped: heaven, earth, and under the earth.  Since "under the earth" doesn't refer to heaven or earth, it must mean hell.  Those who are condemned to hell will still worship God because they will see that they deserve the punishment they experience.

Except that it doesn't actually say that. At least not in this translation.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

More from the website.    This is # 52 of the 2328 reasons Christianity is false. This is a quote from Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

"It [slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God…it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation…it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts…Let the gentleman go to Revelation to learn the decree of God – let him go to the Bible…I said that slavery was sanctioned in the Bible, authorized, regulated, and recognized from Genesis to Revelation…Slavery existed then in the earliest ages, and among the chosen people of God; and in Revelation we are told that it shall exist till the end of time shall come. You find it in the Old and New Testaments – in the prophecies, psalms, and the epistles of Paul; you find it recognized, sanctioned everywhere.”

It is next to certain that if a real god intervened in human affairs, he would immediately prohibit the practice of slavery.  The Christian god failed to do this and therefore is extremely likely to be mythical.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V

(02-15-2020, 01:20 PM)theophilus Wrote:

Who gives a shit what the passage says?  Seriously, man.... you treat that silly-assed bible of yours as if it were a bible or something.  Just a pile of ancient shit cobbled together by ignorant priests and scribes in the arm pit of the world.
  • SYZ

(02-15-2020, 01:20 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Those who are condemned to hell will still worship God because they will see that they deserve the punishment they experience.

Oh, really? And have you received any postcards from Hell lately?  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Minimalist, Alan V

(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theophilus Wrote: There is one point you are failing to consider.  Everyone who enters either Heaven or Hell will stand in God's presence for judgment.  God is light and in the light of his presence each of us will for the first time see ourselves as we really are.  We will see that we are sinners who deserve nothing except to be condemned to Hell.  Those who enter Heaven will do so only by God's grace and not because they deserve to be there.  Those who enter Hell will receive perfect justice.  They will get exactly what they deserve...

LOL... a few "minor" problems with this.

There is no empirical evidence that either a place called "heaven" or a place called "hell" actually exist.  
Nor is there any viable evidence supporting the claimed existence of God or gods.  These are simply
manifestations of primitive man's ignorance of the sciences, fear, superstition, and false beliefs.

And their ignorance was due in large to their lack of knowledge of the rest of the world geographically.
An obvious omission for example is a lack of any mention of the great southern land, Gondwanaland,
or its unique flora and flora.  Thus biblical scribes weren't even aware of the flightless Australian Emu,
which couldn't have made it across half the planet to join the purported Noah's ark. Nor could the koala,
echidna, platypus, or wombat.  As a historical record, the bible fails at every turn.

Why?

A large amount of scripture was set within the context of the tiny land of Israel, which spanned a mere
200 miles from north to south—roughly the size of the state of New Jersey—shown in green outline on
the map below.

[Image: SizeComparison_Israel.jpg]

Nearly all the recorded events of Jesus’s life took place within about 65 miles of Nazareth—a distance
that could be traversed by foot in three or four days. Those ancient peoples wouldn't even have been
aware of civilisations thousands of miles away, nor would they (or could they) have travelled to those
lands or had any contact with their peoples.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(02-16-2020, 09:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 01:30 PM)theophilus Wrote: There is one point you are failing to consider.  Everyone who enters either Heaven or Hell will stand in God's presence for judgment.  God is light and in the light of his presence each of us will for the first time see ourselves as we really are.  We will see that we are sinners who deserve nothing except to be condemned to Hell.  Those who enter Heaven will do so only by God's grace and not because they deserve to be there.  Those who enter Hell will receive perfect justice.  They will get exactly what they deserve...

LOL... a few "minor" problems with this.

There is no empirical evidence that either a place called "heaven" or a place called "hell" actually exist.  
Nor is there any viable evidence supporting the claimed existence of God or gods.  These are simply
manifestations of primitive man's ignorance of the sciences, fear, superstition, and false beliefs.

And their ignorance was due in large to their lack of knowledge of the rest of the world geographically.
An obvious omission for example is a lack of any mention of the great southern land, Gondwanaland,
or its unique flora and flora.  Thus biblical scribes weren't even aware of the flightless Australian Emu,
which couldn't have made it across half the planet to join the purported Noah's ark. Nor could the koala,
echidna, platypus, or wombat.  As a historical record, the bible fails at every turn.

Why?

A large amount of scripture was set within the context of the tiny land of Israel, which spanned a mere
200 miles from north to south—roughly the size of the state of New Jersey—shown in green outline on
the map below.

[Image: SizeComparison_Israel.jpg]

Nearly all the recorded events of Jesus’s life took place within about 65 miles of Nazareth—a distance
that could be traversed by foot in three or four days. Those ancient peoples wouldn't even have been
aware of civilisations thousands of miles away, nor would they (or could they) have travelled to those
lands or had any contact with their peoples.

That map really puts it into perspective.    I said this in another post somewhere, holy books around the world always have a very narrow geographic vision of their world and none of them travel outside that immediate area.
                                                         T4618
  • SYZ
Photo 
(02-14-2020, 01:28 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: For your reading and viewing pleasure.  This is one of my favorite websites.   Enjoy.   Big Grin

"Using orthodox Christian doctrine, it must be assumed that some people will go to Heaven and some people will go to Hell.  Since judgment is an individual matter, it must also be assumed that some members of the same family can end up in both places.  This presents a terrible problem for Christian  parents who find themselves in heaven, but discover that their son or daughter is in Hell.  It would seem unlikely that they could enjoy this situation or muster the fortitude to worship a god who is simultaneously torturing their children"

unless...

we develop into far smarter/wiser beings.

IE we are souls. created by God. we do not create each other. we are a given generation of souls have no real tie or connection to the successive generation. That is the legacy of the body. Are current bodys are joined through a common lineage. Our souls do not share this bond. as we are all brother and sister in christ or in satan. As per the parable of the wheat and weeds/tares, not all here born of man belong to God. Do you know what a tare is? it is a weed identical to wheat until they mature:
https://images.app.goo.gl/HtktgBWT3xGnDo3v7
The idea being God plants good people in his field and satan plants identical looking tares that do nothing but rob nutrients from the good plants. the owner of the land says let the two grow together and then separate them at harvest. because if we go in now and pull out the tares the good plants will also be destroyed as their roots will be intertwine.

Right now we can not tell wheat from tare and yes it would destroy us if our child dies in hell.

but think a moment.. when you where a little kid. what was you most prized possession? where is it now? do you even remember  what it was. something most of us could not live without, we barely remember now. why? we matured and were exposed to a broader world one that did not center around a pet bike or stuffed bear.

The same will be true. Our spiritual being will grow well past what we understand to be love and placed value into things now. our eyes open our ears open and can finally see the bigger picture. with this bigger picture and truth on our side letting go of a tare will be no more difficult that not sucking on a pacifier anymore.

what else you got? what other big christian crippling thing is in your list of lies from the pit? Sun

Quote: unless...

we develop into far smarter/wiser beings.

Looks like you're out of luck, Dripshit.
  • SYZ

[Image: c37b7470eb6e3716ec2d0d3281911791.jpg]
  • SYZ

(02-19-2020, 07:11 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: c37b7470eb6e3716ec2d0d3281911791.jpg]

The Bible and the Torah both begin by telling us that God created the world.   That took place outside of the circle.

(02-21-2020, 01:05 PM)theophilus Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 07:11 PM)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: c37b7470eb6e3716ec2d0d3281911791.jpg]

The Bible and the Torah both begin by telling us that God created the world.   That took place outside of the circle.

You mean the world which doesn't actually seem to include much of anything outside that circle based on the content of the books?
Breathing takes too much effort.
The following 1 user Likes Mediocharist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

And you, of course, being a fucking idiot, believe whatever you see written in those asinine old books, don't you?  Grow up, son.  You don't have an invisible friend.

Why then does your bible never once mention the great southern landmass of Gondwana that'd
been in existence for 250 million years before the time of Christianity?  Why does it not mention
the black man that inhabited this land for 60,000 years prior to Christianity?  Why is there no
mention of the four monotremes (mammals that lay eggs) unique to  Australia?

It's almost as though the biblical scribes knew nothing about the world outside of that tiny circle
of wordly knowledge isn't it...hmmm?  Well, of course they didn't—as every scientifically-literate
researcher and historian knows.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Minimalist

All other holy books sort of say the same thing.  Their god created THEIR world.  Amazingly,  none of these gods travel outside of that geographical region. The Hindu Vedas includes stories about the Ganges River and lakes and various powerful gods of that region.  Same thing with the Bible except it's the Nile and the Red Sea and the war god YHWH.
                                                         T4618
  • SYZ