Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Stupid Are Xhristards?

Consider:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/loca...-i/515550/

Quote:Chemical analysis tests gathered by the Times Free Press challenge the basis of a popular Dalton, Georgia, ministry that claims to have a Bible flowing with oil.

Each week, hundreds of people come to Dalton's Wink Theater to see the Bible owned by Jerry Pearce. Those who gather described deep religious experiences when the oil Bible touched them. Others said the oil cured them of sickness or helped them kick addictions.

Through donations, Pearce and Johnny Taylor, the other leader of His Name is Flowing Oil, have made a full-time job of traveling the country with the Bible, estimating they have handed out around 350,000 free vials of the oil.

The Times Free Press wrote about the increasingly popular gathering in November 2019. The next day, someone contacted the newspaper saying Pearce was a regular customer at the Tractor Supply store in Dalton. The person said Pearce often bought large amounts of mineral oil — a clear oil similar in appearance to the oil Pearce claims is coming from his Bible.

I'm sure Dripshit has gallons of the stuff!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

Sheep are made to be sheared.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • skyking, KevinM1

Some are smart, others dumber than a pile of rocks, just like any other demographic.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • brewerb

I doubt the smarter ones were lining up to buy oil from these two sleazebags!

Are your sure? Plenty of smart ones line up for Joel Osteen. At least these people get oil.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(02-13-2020, 06:52 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I doubt the smarter ones were lining up to buy oil from these two sleazebags!

No doubt. Just pointing out that these particular believers are probably not representative of Christians as a whole -- even if I do think they're buying snake-oil with their general beliefs.

Some folks are more compartmentalized than others, I guess.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • theophilus

What about the ones who handle actual snakes?

There are lots of stupid cults in jesusism.

(02-13-2020, 07:34 PM)brewerb Wrote: Are your sure? Plenty of smart ones line up for Joel Osteen. At least these people get oil.

Aside to audience: that guy is creepy, like poisonous reptile creepy. And sleazy. And either a con man or a charlatan.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • brewerb, Thumpalumpacus

Why not both.... like all the rest of those bible-thumping shits?

Oil them Christians up! Gonna slide right into heaven! Wheeeee! This oily conman knew his suckers. Ludicrous as this seems, they bought it hook, line and sinker.

"Each week, hundreds of people come to Dalton's Wink Theater to see the Bible owned by Jerry Pearce. Those who gather described deep religious experiences when the oil Bible touched them. Others said the oil cured them of sickness or helped them kick addictions."

Miracles! Miracles! More proof n' everthing! Say! Don't we have a thread here at AD as to why miracles aren't evidence and that eyewitnesses to miracles are not trustworthy? "We don't need to take lil Timmy to the doctors cause he's sick! We's gots some holy miracle working oil right here!".
And my little boy named my truck "Giddyup gah gah gah!"  Isn't he cute?  He's only eight.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Minimalist

(02-13-2020, 11:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote: What about the ones who handle actual snakes?

There are lots of stupid cults in jesusism.

What about atheists who believe in extraterrestrial visitation?

I wouldn't want to be judged by those idiots.

Extraterrestrial visitation is at least possible.

Religious bullshit is not.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Many years ago, I lived in a poor neighborhood. There was a conman prosperity preacher who went by the name Reverend Al, who used to send weird religious mail to such low rent zip code residents. The deal was he send weird items to the suckers with garish four page full color letters explaining prosperity theology to the rubes, that is begging for money. Ltters with lots of caps, exclamation points, color high lighting and underlining. A real circus on paper. Among the items I received over a few years was a prayer cloth. A small 2" swatch of pink felt. I was supposed to prayer over this, carry it with me, and send Reverend Al a prayer offering. His organization world be praying for me and miracles would happen! I received a miracle working medallion, a tin foil little medallion that appeared to be a cheap needle threading thing with a thread tied to it so I could wear it around my neck and receive miracle healing. And oh yes, send that love offering off today. And then there was the utterly weird shower cap, a very cheap disposable plastic cap thingy printed with an outline of Reverend Al's very own hand! Wear this and send money and get a miracle! Praise the Lord and send the loot! And finally, a tiny little bottle of miracle healing olive oil from the Holy Land! Lord have mercy, thank you Jesus! Anoint yourself and sent that love offering for a miracle in your life.

I used to treasure these hilarious items which came at intervals of about 6 months or so. It was truly bizarre and very entertaining.
Apparently Reverend Al ran this big operation throughout the United States, under several names such as "The Prayer Family". I had some friends who would howl with laughter when I displayed to them my latest little treasure from Reverend Al.
And my little boy named my truck "Giddyup gah gah gah!"  Isn't he cute?  He's only eight.

Google, holy anointing olive oil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+ano...76&bih=741

I am sorry I googled this. Religion makes you a dumb ass.

(02-13-2020, 06:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Consider:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/loca...-i/515550/

Quote:Chemical analysis tests gathered by the Times Free Press challenge the basis of a popular Dalton, Georgia, ministry that claims to have a Bible flowing with oil.

Each week, hundreds of people come to Dalton's Wink Theater to see the Bible owned by Jerry Pearce. Those who gather described deep religious experiences when the oil Bible touched them. Others said the oil cured them of sickness or helped them kick addictions.

Through donations, Pearce and Johnny Taylor, the other leader of His Name is Flowing Oil, have made a full-time job of traveling the country with the Bible, estimating they have handed out around 350,000 free vials of the oil.

The Times Free Press wrote about the increasingly popular gathering in November 2019. The next day, someone contacted the newspaper saying Pearce was a regular customer at the Tractor Supply store in Dalton. The person said Pearce often bought large amounts of mineral oil — a clear oil similar in appearance to the oil Pearce claims is coming from his Bible.

I'm sure Dripshit has gallons of the stuff!

When the single quality for admittance into the category is faith -- that is, readiness and eagerness to believe uncritically in wild claims without any evidence and against all evidence -- it should really be no surprise that people in that category will believe in a bunch of other wild claims without any evidence and against all evidence.

The real question is whether to laugh or pity.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov

(02-14-2020, 03:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Extraterrestrial visitation is at least possible.

Religious bullshit is not.

Kinda skips my point, which isn't about what might or might not be true, but rather if we'd be happy with the same broad brush painting our backs.

(02-14-2020, 07:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Google, holy anointing olive oil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=holy+ano...76&bih=741

I am sorry I googled this.  Religion makes you a dumb ass.

Light of Jerusalem Anointing Oil

I got some ''Light of Jerusalem' Anointing Oil Blessing from Jerusalem' Anointing Oil. Size 10ml / 0.33 fl.oz Made in Israel and based on Galilee Virgin Olive Oil.''

Now i can start my holy middle finger mission
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.