Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corona & China

Corona & China
So, this nurse guy at work was showing me a video of Chinese officials dragging citizens from their homes merely on the suspicion that they are sick.

Don't sneeze or cough, or you'll be carted away.

I was appalled, obviously, but this nurse guy was all for it, claiming that there was no other way.

What say you?

Corona & China
Not sure. Suffice to say, I was worried, since my brother and sister in law were in China when it broke out. Thankfully they made it to Vietnam before the borders got closed, to continue their trip of South East Asia.

Seems like a dire situation and I guess these people were transfered to a hospital to get checked. The means they employed are bad, but it's not as if they were put into a camp or something. Going by the rate it spreads and the casualties so far, it seems as if they have little choice in the matter.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 03:46 PM)abaris Wrote: Not sure. Suffice to say, I was worried, since my brother and sister in law were in China when it broke out. Thankfully they made it to Vietnam before the borders got closed, to continue their trip of South East Asia.

Seems like a dire situation and I guess these people were transfered to a hospital to get checked. The means they employed are bad, but it's not as if they were put into a camp or something. Going by the rate it spreads and the casualties so far, it seems as if they have little choice in the matter.

From the short conversation I had with the nurse guy, because I ended it quickly, the sick people weren't being brought to a hospital, for fear of infecting others. Rather, they were being brought to camps.

And you have to understand there's no guarantee these people are sick with Corona. It's just family and neighbors reporting people who seem sick.

Corona & China
Do you have a link to that video?

Corona & China
I don't. He showed it to me from his own phone at the nurse's desk.

Corona & China
This one?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/08/suspected...-12204627/

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 03:54 PM)abaris Wrote: Do you have a link to that video?

Did a YT search to help you:
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_que...heir+homes

Corona & China
I suppose the question comes down to "do sick people have the right to put everyone else at risk?"  I come down on the side of "no."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • abaris, brewerb

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 04:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I suppose the question comes down to "do sick people have the right to put everyone else at risk?"  I come down on the side of "no."

You can say that working with animals, because let me tell you that working at a nursing home with the elderly who are more susceptible to getting sick there is no calling off.

If you're an employee with a cold trying to call off, they'll give you no choice except to come in and people have been fired for calling off for being sick.

I'm not saying it's right, but where healthcare is concerned, they just make up their own rules.

Corona & China
First, let me say, I wouldn't put it beyond the chinese regime to resort to these kinds of measures. On the other hand, this is a phone movie that has gone viral. So noone in the Hazmat suits took the time to take the phone from the guy(s) filming? I have my doubts, but I may be wrong.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Aroura

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 03:18 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: So, this nurse guy at work was showing me a video of Chinese officials dragging citizens from their homes merely on the suspicion that they are sick.

I was appalled, obviously, but this nurse guy was all for it, claiming that there was no other way.

What say you?

It could be worse....

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 04:23 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I suppose the question comes down to "do sick people have the right to put everyone else at risk?"  I come down on the side of "no."

You can say that working with animals, because let me tell you that working at a nursing home with the elderly who are more susceptible to getting sick there is no calling off.

If you're an employee with a cold trying to call off, they'll give you no choice except to come in and people have been fired for calling off for being sick.

I'm not saying it's right, but where healthcare is concerned, they just make up their own rules.

I would have thought the local Health Department made up the rules but what do I know?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Corona & China
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 08:21 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

One of my favorite movies. Put that and Robinson Crusoe On Mars in the player, and you've got an afternoon of good entertainment.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Corona & China
No need to be hysterical. Hand washing and masks are effective against corona viruses. I saw a photo of a Chinese isolation ward, no masks, no IVs, no supplemental oxygen. Patients packed in like sardines. No wonder there have been so many deaths. The fucking cops are ill suited to deal with epidemics. So, fuck the cops.
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

Corona & China
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Minimalist, Alan V

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 10:50 PM)Chimp3 Wrote: No need to be hysterical. Hand washing and masks are effective against corona viruses...

Correct.  One problem though is that many Asians' standards of hygiene and cleanliness are often a lot less
stringent than through the Western world.  And the masks that so many of them wear are only surgical-grade,
which offer no protection against airborne viruses.

As at 06:00 hrs on 12 February 2020, tge Australian Department of Health
confirmed 15 cases of 2019-nCoV in Australia:

5 in Queensland,
   4 in New South Wales,
   4 in Victoria,
   2 in South Australia.

Five of the earlier cases have recovered. The others are in a stable condition.

All carriers were of Chinese Wuhan origin.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Corona & China
(02-11-2020, 03:18 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: So, this nurse guy at work was showing me a video of Chinese officials dragging citizens from their homes merely on the suspicion that they are sick.

What say you?

Sadly, the Chinese officials might be correct.  The big worry about all of this is what if this spreads to nations without resources or organized governments that can effectively deal with mass pandemics spreading through their nations?  Such as the crowded favalas of Brazil or Argentina.  This all might end up being as bad or worse than the 1918 killer flu.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Aroura, GenesisNemesis

Corona & China
(02-12-2020, 01:27 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:50 PM)Chimp3 Wrote: No need to be hysterical. Hand washing and masks are effective against corona viruses...

Correct.  One problem though is that many Asians' standards of hygiene and cleanliness are often a lot less
stringent than through the Western world.  And the masks that so many of them wear are only surgical-grade,
which offer no protection against airborne viruses.

As at 06:00 hrs on 12 February 2020, tge Australian Department of Health
confirmed 15 cases of 2019-nCoV in Australia:

5 in Queensland,
   4 in New South Wales,
   4 in Victoria,
   2 in South Australia.

Five of the earlier cases have recovered. The others are in a stable condition.

All carriers were of Chinese Wuhan origin.

Technically it is not an "Airborne" virus. It is spread in droplets when some one coughs or sneezes but usually no further than 6 ft. The virus itself does not float around in the air. We use surgical grade masks in the setting I work in (RN) and they are effective against droplets. The most likely means of transmission is by touching what an infected person has coughed on and bring the hand to mouth or nose. So again, hand washing and masks.
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"
The following 1 user Likes Chimp3's post:
  • Chas

Corona & China
[Image: flamenwerfer.jpg]

Vivekananda

Corona & China
Usually I'd be totally against this type of thing, especially considering China's extreme authoritarianism, but it does seem like it could get extremely out of control.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Corona & China
There's a lot of misinformation, fear mongering, fake reports and conspiracy theories doing the rounds regarding Covid19 for example, the Wuhan nurse video, debunked, bat soup video, debunked. Bio weapon conspiracy is still doing the rounds but with only unfalsifiable anecdotal evidence and coincidence to back it up. The only thing that's likely true is that the infection and mortality statistics are being fudged by China as they too closely follow the theoretical and mathematical models with hardly any natural variance that one would expect to see in real figures and data coming from an epidemic.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast