Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Looks After His Own... Or Not?
Big Grin 
St Mary's Catholic Church engulfed by fire, taking 70 years of Queensland history with it...

[Image: 11954734-3x2-700x467.jpg]

This fire which razed the church poses the obvious question:  Why would a purportedly omnipotent god allow
a fire (satanic?) to destroy a house of worship that followers had built in order to glorify him/her/it?

A Church of Christ building down the road from St Mary's was engulfed by flames in 2016, meaning St Mary's
is the second church lost to fire in Bundaberg in the last decade.

Parish priest father Peter Tonti said, "We know our God will look after us and raise us up out of the ashes."

How does this bloke "know" his god will look after them—considering that god has just allowed the fire in the
first place?    Maybe father Tonti's god could instead fuck them all up the arse... but lovingly?

Chuckle
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

They were obviously worshiping the wrong God.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Theists are fond of dishing out natural disasters as god's will, until the damage affects them.

Unless you're Drich the Sadist.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ

Maybe he was in the bathroom and missed it.  Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Clearly god is a shitty fireman.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, SYZ

(02-11-2020, 03:59 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: Maybe he was in the bathroom and missed it.  Big Grin

Apparently, from what I'm told, when God respawns it takes him three days.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

We won when:
Churches installed lightning rods.
Churches installed smoke alarms.
Churches bought insurance policies.

On New Year's Eve 2009 a tornado hit St. Louis. The only building damaged was a church.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

Obviously, it's the fault of all those gay marsupials.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • adey67

Quote:The only building damaged was a church.

Was a booming voice heard from the sky shouting "FUCK!!!!   I MISSED!"
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Stuff like this just fires them up all the more.

(02-11-2020, 06:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We won when:

On New Year's Eve 2009 a tornado hit St. Louis. The only building damaged was a church.

Hmm. God pulls insurance scams?  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V

(02-12-2020, 06:50 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 06:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We won when:

Hmm. God pulls insurance scams?  Consider

To finance his pet projects "off the books".

But seriously, anything that would trigger an insurance claim would be in the category of "when bad things happen to good people", and God's House should have God's Protection, so no slip-and-fall claims.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ, Gwaithmir

Firefighters praise God after not one Bible is burned in fire that destroyed church in Grandview, WV.
The Christian Post, 5 March 2019.

[Image: 134981_w_760_570.jpg]

Members of the Coal City Fire Department acknowledged God’s power Sunday after a devastating
fire burned down a local church but failed to destroy any of the Bibles inside.

"Picture this, a building so hot that at one point in time, firefighters had to back out. In your mind,
everything should be burned, ashes. Not a single Bible was burned and not a single cross was
harmed... Though odds were against us, God was not"  the fire department said.

"It just goes to show that God’s word is more powerful than the devil’s fire and fury no matter how
hot it gets,” wrote a certain Dean Vandall on Facebook: "God was watching over all you guys last night."

—I have to laugh.  These mental midgets seem to ignore the fact that whilst their god left intact half a
dozen cheap books, he destroyed a million dollar church.  What bizarre logic.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Minimalist

I'll repeat this for posterity: I saw a reporter interviewing a lady preacher in front of the rubble that was her church post-tornado strike. Her comment was burned into my brain.

"Thank God more people weren't killed."

The first responders were still digging through the rubble. No doubt they were looking for that "Miracle Baby" who is always found alive under his dead mother.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

(02-11-2020, 01:59 PM)SYZ Wrote: St Mary's Catholic Church engulfed by fire, taking 70 years of Queensland history with it...

[Image: 11954734-3x2-700x467.jpg]

This fire which razed the church poses the obvious question:  Why would a purportedly omnipotent god allow
a fire (satanic?) to destroy a house of worship that followers had built in order to glorify him/her/it?

Chuckle

"Maybe the fire was caused by an ATHEIST."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.