Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
why your prayers often, if not always fail

(02-13-2020, 04:22 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 03:53 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 12:42 AM)Chas Wrote: Yes, I'm looking forward to 2024.  I have family in La Belle Province, but I'm planning on being on Grand Isle in Lake Champlain with a totality of more than 3 minutes.

Here's to 2017:

[Image: Sun%20Spots2017-08-21-133605.JPG]
resim
[Image: Diamond%20Ring2017-08-21-143154.JPG]
[Image: Totality20170821-143427.JPG]

I apologize for injecting reality into this loony tunes thread. Angel

Rofl2 The irony.. wow it must of slid right of the top of you head! ROFL2

Your pictures truly represent your understanding of reality even if they do not actually depict what a real eclipse looks like.

you pictures show heavy filtering.

yes this is how eclipses are photographed and studied. however this is not a true view.

just like your world view is heavily filtered through a sewer of liberal ideas and anti God vitriol. You do not see them, just like you over looked the sun filters in your injection of 'reality.' Because to you these filters are needed to view the world.  just like you use filters to see the sun. you depend on you askewed view so much you do not even know there are there.

Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with looking at the sun through filters.. I am saying it is wrong to pretend they are not there. Then have the "Balds" to accuse someone of not depicting reality. when you youself live a measured and filtered life.

What the fuck are you blathering on about.  You are either 12 years old or one of the stupidest adults walking the planet.  Take your god glasses off for chrissake.

if you are ever in orlando fl let me know...

Quote:For me God literally sent a flesh and blood person who apeared out of nowhere, and while I gave him a ride in my car said his peace, was asked to be let out and dude disappeared in the amount of time it took me to do a uturn.

Yeah....if I had been stuck in a car with a fucking moron like you I would want to get away as fast as possible too.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(02-13-2020, 04:29 PM)Astreja Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Drich Wrote: So again how can you judge prayer when you yourself point out you earned each and every accomplishment?

Easy, Drich:  I judge it to be of no value to me.

To which I said/say again it is from a very limited based on knowledge and understanding that you make this judgement.

It is out of a lack of knowledge and understand that you make this call.

(02-13-2020, 05:25 PM)Drich Wrote: To which I said/say again it is from a very limited based on knowledge and understanding that you make this judgement.

Ah, but I only told you the good things that I had achieved.  I've had my fair share of struggles over the years -- schoolyard bullying, nearly bankrupted by a failed business run by a failed spouse, chronic illnesses caused by literally toxic workplaces, long years of having to deal with two mentally ill family members and settle their affairs when they finally passed away.

No gods volunteered to help me.  I went through the victimized-by-the-entire-fucking-universe stage, then got tired of all that and took responsibility for my own well-being.

I believe that you did the same thing, but for some reason you see the hand of a god there rather than your own hard work and the kindnesses afforded you by others.
The following 3 users Like Astreja's post:
  • Phaedrus, Chas, isbelldl

(02-13-2020, 05:25 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:29 PM)Astreja Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Drich Wrote: So again how can you judge prayer when you yourself point out you earned each and every accomplishment?

Easy, Drich:  I judge it to be of no value to me.

To which I said/say again it is from a very limited based on knowledge and understanding that you make this judgement.

Wrong. WHat Dripshit says is of no interest. He knows nothing about any relevant subject. 
Millions of people leave various religions every year, including 10 million or more Christians every year. 
Dripshit is MAKING UP, (lying about) reasons that he *imagines* people leave religion. He actually has no clue why any particular person would chose to leave his Holy Delusion.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Tres Leches

Quote:there is no pity here there is no quartered offered and none is given. (hence my scalping joke)  Winking seriously.. there is no need to hate or pity.

Quote:I like what i do here and I like it even more when I do help one of you.

You have never even once "helped" anyone here. 
BTW it's "no quarter offered", not "no quartered offerered" you illiterate idiot.
We know you are next to illiterate, and *need* to appear way smarter than you actually are.
Test

Quote: You have never even once "helped" anyone here.

Oh, be fair now, Buck.  Dripshit provides a bad example of what this jesus shit can do to your brain.  He is an object lesson for everyone.

Is Drich done arguing that god's the sort of asshole that let's children die of cancer because somebody didn't ask him to cure them in exactly the right way?

If brains were dynamite, drick wouldn't have enough to blow its nice.

(02-13-2020, 03:29 PM)Drich Wrote: here's the litmus test to a misotheist verse just an atheist.

neil degrasse tyson is the perfect example of this. 

He does not believe in God simply because there is no evidence. if there was he would follow it. this to him is agnostisim. Many people claim this to be the same but he say the primary difference is atheist are miliantly against God. which is unique to this term as there are no groups of people who do not ski who sit around talking about not sking, or seek to change policies to where others can not ski. To him this is not atheism. which bring the term miso (hate) theist (god) to mind.

Those who ski are not actively attempting to alter secular law to affect those who do not ski. The analogy mentioned fails because of precisely how theists want to dictate the secular lives of non-believers and the militant atheist's rational anger at the blatant disrespect presented by the theist.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Minimalist, isbelldl

(02-13-2020, 03:53 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 12:42 AM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:11 PM)Astreja Wrote: Carbondale, Illinois (followed by a few days museum-hopping in Chicago).  Nashville was my fallback if I couldn't come up with air/train/bus connections to southern Illinois.  Some people I know from the local Astronomical Society went en masse to Wyoming and got some great astrophotography.

Looking forward to April 2024, which I've tentatively set for Montreal (although I may go down to the States again to get a better view).

Yes, I'm looking forward to 2024.  I have family in La Belle Province, but I'm planning on being on Grand Isle in Lake Champlain with a totality of more than 3 minutes.

Here's to 2017:

[Image: Sun%20Spots2017-08-21-133605.JPG]
resim
[Image: Diamond%20Ring2017-08-21-143154.JPG]
[Image: Totality20170821-143427.JPG]

I apologize for injecting reality into this loony tunes thread. Angel

Rofl2 The irony.. wow it must of slid right of the top of you head! ROFL2

Your pictures truly represent your understanding of reality even if they do not actually depict what a real eclipse looks like.

No, those pictures show real data, not my understanding of reality.  

Quote:you pictures show heavy filtering.

Those are neutral density filters.  The do not make the image unreal, they merely reduce the amount of light evenly across all wavelengths.

Quote:yes this is how eclipses are photographed and studied. however this is not a true view.

In that sense, nothing you see is a true view.  You cannot see all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, just the narrow band that is the result of our evolution.

Quote:just like your world view is heavily filtered through a sewer of liberal ideas and anti God vitriol.

What anti-God vitriol?

Quote:You do not see them, just like you over looked the sun filters in your injection of 'reality.'

It is as real as anything one sees.

Quote:Because to you these filters are needed to view the world.  just like you use filters to see the sun. you depend on you askewed view so much you do not even know there are there.

That is truly droll irony.

Quote:Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with looking at the sun through filters.. I am saying it is wrong to pretend they are not there.

I didn't. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Quote:Then have the "Balds" to accuse someone of not depicting reality. when you youself live a measured and filtered life.

Could you try that one again but in intelligible English?  Thanks.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(02-13-2020, 04:45 PM)Drich Wrote: where does the bible say we do that?
1st thing to learn is there is a huge gap between what a given religion teaches and what the bible/god expects

Well thats kind of my point....if it doesnt say that, why are people doing it? Who came up with the method of praying? Was it tested first? Like "ok, we've tried two hands on the floor and keeping our eyes open, and that didn't seem to work. Lets try one arm up, one arm down, blinking as fast as we can."

(02-13-2020, 04:45 PM)Drich Wrote: the purpose of prayer is to ask God to change you in such a way as to be a host for the holy Spirit. (so God can work with you one on one without the need of a formal wishing ceremony.)
That makes no sense, in any way what so ever. Does it say that in the bible?

(02-13-2020, 04:45 PM)Drich Wrote: (know any answer you give is wrong, because your own belief supersedes your own notion of God.)

So what you're saying is, because I don't believe in a god [let alone your specifically] I can never actually speak with this god, or have it prove it's own existance?

The overall point I'm trying to make is most Atheists [as it's not a singular belief system, just a lack of belief in something specific] would openly welcome ANY kind of provable/testable evidence that proves any sort of god is real. If you say the christian god sent a flesh/blood dude to speak with you, why can't he do such a thing under testable conditions? Like, say the scientist involved prayed to god to ask him to re-perform this action, and that said person would just appear inside a totally sealed room. The test could then be that, as you said also, the person is then removed. Then re-added a number of times, to prove such a power exists.

That's an example, obviously, but the idea alone that some sort of supernatural all powerful being who created the universe literally cannot appear/do something that proves it's own existence if baffling to me.

I will add that if god would prove itself to me, right now or any other time in my life, I would 100% give up my job and join a christian mission or something. Because my life would be so much easier than it is now: I would know all the answers to all questions [as the answers would be "god" mainly] I've ever had. But because that will not ever happen, and unfortunately despite what you or others think, has NEVER happened ever, you appear to be all about praising a being that doesn't exist for the sake of nothing. You had an experience with an actual person, not some sort of biblical messenger. How do you know Zeus didn't send them? How do we know anything for sure except for the words of a potential maniac you let into your car? I mean the alternate possibilities are almost endless.

(02-13-2020, 04:45 PM)Drich Wrote: because the purpose of this world is to sift or weed out his flock from satans. once you become apart of his flock God does interact via the holy spirit. which again is the purpose of prayer. to ready you. to clean out your ears so you can hear what he has been saying all along
But if Satan is punishing people in hell for all eternity, is he not doing "good" and/or working for god?

If all those who are saved go to heaven, and are separated from "the sinners", is the punishment in hell just un-needed completely, and if anything a bit petty by that point? Like the punishment alone would be not getting into heaven, surly? Everything else after that is "all part of god plan" which is to punish people for all eternity, which seems like a bit of a dick move. And even then, if you confess before you die, you go to heaven? Should like a bit of a shit "back door" clause to have. I don't fancy going to heaven if various murderers/child rapists/nazi's/etc are there, because they confessed their sins before dying.

In short, Drich, you like many other Theists "believe" in something, but you don't really know why. I personally think it is because it gives you comfort, as well as thinking our existence being pretty much meaningless is terrifying to you.

(02-13-2020, 04:22 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What the fuck are you blathering on about.  You are either 12 years old or one of the stupidest adults walking the planet.  Take your god glasses off for chrissake.

I can only assume that Drich is either mentally unstable, drug dependant, or an alcoholic.
Whatever, his notions are a serious distortion of reality, and can safely be ignored.

I also note that he chose to ignore my request to prove that unicorns don't exist.  When
it comes to the crunch, and like all Christians, he simply ignores the hard questions that
rely on a bit of logic—rather than simply citing the bible repeatedly.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(02-12-2020, 02:45 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:38 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:44 PM)SYZ Wrote: After all this pointless toing and froing with Drich, I can only assume that he's seriously
delusional.  No rational person—whether theist or atheist—could, or would mount such
absurd, injudicious arguments in support of something.

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.” (Thomas Paine)

"only the intellectual equivalent of a box of rocks, need quote another man's words to sum up his own thoughts."
-Drich
hobo

I'm sure that everyone here trembles at the searing logic of your fiery intellect.  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Deesse23

(02-13-2020, 06:30 PM)Astreja Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 05:25 PM)Drich Wrote: To which I said/say again it is from a very limited based on knowledge and understanding that you make this judgement.

Ah, but I only told you the good things that I had achieved.  I've had my fair share of struggles over the years -- schoolyard bullying,
Weeping  I fought almost everyday from my first day of middle school to my senior year. at school, at home, at my mom church, with my dads side of the family with my moms. why? turns out 1/2 asians are not welcome with whites black hispanics or other asians. once one group of bastards got done i would face another. 
Quote: nearly bankrupted by a failed business run by a failed spouse, 
did go bankrupt my first business ran by dads friend. came in one day and all the stuff was gone. stuff he bought on my credit. paid it all off tried again when the old man who set me up found me.

Quote:chronic illnesses caused by literally toxic workplaces,
we literally took chemical solvent sometime diesel fuel or even gass baths to get the asbestos dust off. everyone smoked and i had bad asmapha all my life. I normally spend 6 mo out of the year with a hacking blood spitting cough. till this fall, when they finally got me on the right meds.
Quote: long years of having to deal with two mentally ill family members and settle their affairs when they finally passed away.
alcoholic beat em up father who had an asian wife and a white concubine all of his life died this year come to find out the concubine was left in charge but everything was in my mother's name. in hopes they would come together and take care of each other. the concubine stole 60,000 dollars and went to spain for 3 weeks while trying to hide a 200k retirement account from the rest of us. long story short got a lawyer and just put everything back into my moms name singed the last of the paper work a month ago... Then the cemetery called and said my dad was buried in the wrong spot. they double sold the spot. he has to go.

Quote:No gods volunteered to help me.
this life uses these events to seperate the wheat from the chaff the wheat from the weeds. the desirable people who seek to serve God from a place of love rather than to serve god from a position of what God can do for them.

I was already a strong believer when God sent me my messenger.

granted I at that point had been made to endure a heck of a lot, and my mom even though she could only understand about 1/2 of my english or 1/3 to 1/2 of my korean was my harbor. when i could not take another beating this week she would drive me to school. when my dad woke me up at 2 am drunk telling to retake the yard, she would be the one to come in and tell me he passed out, but now she was gone. I was not stressed i simply did not know what to do anymore. and I was worried about my far younger sister as she was with me. God here gave me direction and the assurance i needed to face anything else knowing he had my back even if it had to seemingly face things alone. which again is apart of the reason we formally pray. so that we are able to receive word from God when he has something to say. because right now even if God spoke to you you would have no idea it could be god. for all you know God could be using me to speak to you directly and all you see is a reason to be mad and hate God for not speaking to you.

If you are not ready to hear God you will block out everything he has to say. because if you could hear God you would have heeded his words on these trials as being nothing more than the wind and rain he uses to test your understanding of him and increases your wisdom and faith. or the same storm of life could cause you whole house of faith to falter.

Quote:  I went through the victimized-by-the-entire-fucking-universe stage, then got tired of all that and took responsibility for my own well-being.
but again what if you did not have the tools/education to care for yourself? what if your best put you in the bottom 20% of poor people in the us? but came out far better than you know you could do on your own?
let's say you had a job picking oranges, you could pick them faster and longer than anyone else. will hard work at your job ever put you in a position to deserve a position day trading orange commodities on wall street? I was given this job. then given all I needed to complete this task.

Quote:I believe that you did the same thing, but for some reason you see the hand of a god there rather than your own hard work and the kindnesses afforded you by others.
I did work hard for a very long time, but hard work means nothing unless you can produce something or have the opportunity to produce something people want on masse. then you have to be able to market service and maintain your product. this infrastructure or lack of it is why most people fail. they do not fail because they do not work hard. I have a dozen or so people who work harder than me working for me. what keeps me in this chair rather than somewhere down the line is the infrastructure God has given to me to sustain this over all business.

(02-14-2020, 11:07 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:22 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: What the fuck are you blathering on about.  You are either 12 years old or one of the stupidest adults walking the planet.  Take your god glasses off for chrissake.

I can only assume that Drich is either mentally unstable, drug dependant, or an alcoholic.
Whatever, his notions are a serious distortion of reality, and can safely be ignored.

I also note that he chose to ignore my request to prove that unicorns don't exist.  When
it comes to the crunch, and like all Christians, he simply ignores the hard questions that
rely on a bit of logic—rather than simply citing the bible repeatedly.

It has been studied - and quite recently.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/08/a-link-...s_partner/

Quote:study published in the journal [i]Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.
[/i]

Seems to me that Dripshit probably stuck his head inside a microwave for several hours on "high."

Now what did I do with that tiny violin? I know it's around here somewhere. I'm sure I saw it just the other day.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(02-13-2020, 08:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 05:25 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:29 PM)Astreja Wrote: Easy, Drich:  I judge it to be of no value to me.

Wrong. WHat Dripshit says is of no interest. He knows nothing about any relevant subject. 
Millions of people leave various religions every year, including 10 million or more Christians every year. 
Dripshit is MAKING UP, (lying about) reasons that he *imagines* people leave religion. He actually has no clue why any particular person would chose to leave his Holy Delusion.

to what end? seriously i'm not being paid. i do not get some sick pleasure being berated by people who are clearly in no position to do so.

I'm not a televangelist asking for donations. I'm not a pulpit minister trying to fill seats in a specific congregation, I am clearly not here for your praise and adoration.

I am here sharing my life because I believe 1000 times over that everything that has happened to me is real and is just around the corner for any of you to experience as well.

The torment of hell for me was the what if factor. what if I only knew better, what if just one of these holy rollers took the time to answer my questions with some legit stuff I could understand, would i still be here? then the bliss of being sat before someone clearly from God who took a silent prayer from 10 years back, and gave not only an answer but a complete account of my life.

Again I am no one special, and this is what God has done for me. Imagine what he could do with one of you egg heads if you were to just follow where he lead.

(02-13-2020, 08:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
Quote:there is no pity here there is no quartered offered and none is given. (hence my scalping joke)  Winking seriously.. there is no need to hate or pity.

Quote:I like what i do here and I like it even more when I do help one of you.

You have never even once "helped" anyone here. 
BTW it's "no quarter offered", not "no quartered offerered" you illiterate idiot.
We know you are next to illiterate, and *need* to appear way smarter than you actually are.

I've been doing this 18 years across a dozen different formats. how could you possibly know? about a year ago a hand full of hard core atheist on a popular site ousted themselves having come to me on the side, and that place has not been the same since. Not to mention there have been a few who correspond daily with me for a while till I was able to help them find and settle into a local church of their liking.

(02-13-2020, 11:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:You have never even once "helped" anyone here.

Oh, be fair now, Buck.  Dripshit provides a bad example of what this jesus shit can do to your brain.  He is an object lesson for everyone.

I even showed minnie how nutty it is to want to repeal the constitution and bill of rights. Of course it did not change his mind, but I did offer the help.

(02-14-2020, 02:08 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: Is Drich done arguing that god's the sort of asshole that let's children die of cancer because somebody didn't ask him to cure them in exactly the right way?

nope

(02-14-2020, 02:59 AM)no one Wrote: If brains were dynamite, drick wouldn't have enough to blow its nice.

if words strung together in a sentence could make sense... you do not have enough to 'blow it's nice.' hobo

(02-14-2020, 03:09 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 03:29 PM)Drich Wrote: here's the litmus test to a misotheist verse just an atheist.

neil degrasse tyson is the perfect example of this. 

He does not believe in God simply because there is no evidence. if there was he would follow it. this to him is agnostisim. Many people claim this to be the same but he say the primary difference is atheist are miliantly against God. which is unique to this term as there are no groups of people who do not ski who sit around talking about not sking, or seek to change policies to where others can not ski. To him this is not atheism. which bring the term miso (hate) theist (god) to mind.

Those who ski are not actively attempting to alter secular law to affect those who do not ski. The analogy mentioned fails because of precisely how theists want to dictate the secular lives of non-believers and the militant atheist's rational anger at the blatant disrespect presented by the theist.

sure they do/change the law to accommodate their wants.. they take national preserves/mountains, timber them add fill and plow our ski grades, then they plant lodges and further intrude on preserved public land with all manor of equipment like lifts plows and roads all to accommodate the wealth elite who can afford this activity.

(02-14-2020, 03:15 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 11:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:You have never even once "helped" anyone here.

I even showed minnie how nutty it is to want to repeal the constitution and bill of rights. Of course it did not change his mind, but I did offer the help.

Dripshit, you dumb motherfucker, you can't show anyone anything.  You are a walking disgrace to humanity.

(02-14-2020, 03:01 PM)Drich Wrote: (Snip long list of things that went terribly wrong)

Drich, this isn't a contest to see who had it worst.  All I'm saying is that there is nothing in your testimony that would lead me to think that a god had to be involved.  People are quite capable of turning things around on their own, or with the assistance of real-life allies.  It happens all the time.
The following 3 users Like Astreja's post:
  • isbelldl, Chas, SYZ