Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
why your prayers often, if not always fail

(02-05-2020, 04:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:40 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The fact is, the NT says "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it SHALL BE DONE".
John 14;13. It's simply false. The end.

Addressed in the video actuall this subject is 1/3 of the video..

To Ask in the name of Christ is not to invoke his name like most do. To ask in the name of Christ is to ask God For the thing Christ wants us to have. and in the video I explain what that is.

I get how you want to make YOUR prideful substitution the fake answer to your problem.
You are not Jesus.
He said "Ask ANYTHING in my name". He did not say "ask the ONE thing I want".
Nice try ... but it's pathetic.
Fail again.
Go away ... you have nothing.
why don't you research anything before you speak?

in someone's name

1. in someone's ownership; as someone's property. The house is in my name. I own all of it. The car is in our names.
2. Go to in behalf of someone.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+...e%27s+name

You take on the term in someone's name means you can ask for things forbidden by them because you do not see the restriction of "in the name of Jesus or in my name" all you see is anything.

The problem with that is you can not ask for anything Jesus says you can not have. Stop. think some more before you spew out your knee jerk response.

ASK In MY NAME means to ask for the things I/Jesus would want you to have. Nothing more.

If I have a credit account at the corner gas station and you need gass and I tell you to put anything you need on my account, you don't go and use my accounts for lottery tickets. You don't use my name my account for things I did not authorize to to have.

like wise can't pray in Jesus' name for a boy friend.

So again as mention by the video the things we can pray for is change. for God to change us to receive the Holy Spirit. With the Holy Spirit comes the power and library of God.

(02-05-2020, 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Drip-shit telling us what Jesus "meant to say". LOL
For a Hebrew, (Jesus was one) here is what prayer is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_in_...brew_Bible
Nothing about "changing your life", no Greek anything.
The video is a worthless droning of a non-expert pretending he knows about a subject he doesn't.
Why is it all these nut-jobs post on YouTube ?
The barriers to entry are low. It costs nothing. Every nut-case in the US is posting some shit on YouTube.

why are you talking about how jews prayed?

oh, because  on the surface it does not support why I said and that is as deep as your 'research' took you...

The problem?

We are not OT jews.

As such that is what prompted luke 11:
One time Jesus was out praying, and when he finished, one of his followers said to him, “John taught his followers how to pray. Lord, teach us how to pray too.”

this 'formal prayer' is the only one taught. The subject was brought up in different scenarios/gospels and this prayer is the only one Jesus taught for CHRISTIANS/His Followers to pray. and as such it is an outline. we can fill in the subjects with ANYTHING in his name. 

all of it to prep up to receive the Holy Spirit

Dripshit, doubling down on assholiness again, I see.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(02-05-2020, 03:56 PM)Dānu Wrote: I would eliminate the word "sport" from your vocabulary if I were you, friend.

But, he can't be half so condescending without it. Dodgy
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(02-05-2020, 06:17 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:56 PM)Dānu Wrote: I would eliminate the word "sport" from your vocabulary if I were you, friend.

But, he can't be half so condescending without it.  Dodgy
I agreed and drop sport...

I still got hot rod, fire ball, noob, junior, fruit cup, pudding pop, snowflake, b-holes, a-holes, and don't forget the emojis..

I figured if i took a non inuse word and used it long enough it would not mean anything.

To tell you the truth I do not generally look at who I speak with for the simple reason of not wanting to hold a grudge between posts. Most of the time if you are sport, it is because i don't know who you are.

if you are Sport, then you are:
2informal A person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasingdefeat, or a similarly trying situation. 'go on, be a sport! '

again a neutral if not slightly positive word you 'good people' assigned a negative condonation to simply because you are trying to find evil in what I say and do.

Even if you look at the archaic version a sport was a young flier prone to rookie mistakes. which is how i would describe most of you in the beginning. in that you all would make the same mistakes.

(02-05-2020, 04:39 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:49 PM)Drich Wrote: the point I make in the video was... those prayers.. were not prayers.

Those where wishes.

God is not in the wish fulfillment business.

God answers prayers/also defined in the video.

It SO hilarious watching these religitards redefine words. and tell others (they actually think they get to read minds) ... what they are thinking.
Last week it was that his god didn't *do* prayers cuz he was *done* at the creation.
This week it's something else. If someone genuinely thinks they are praying, they are praying.
Oh well. Fail again.
I suspect he can't post this shit on his Christian site, as they clearly know he is no Christian.
Yawn.

that's the thing...
I did not redefine anything.

In the video I showed using the original greek text and context of the passage so show how the word has shifted meaning. 

That it use to mean God change me to fit your will, to God change your plan to fit my wishes.

And the final nail is I show the original greek work for making your wishes known to God and it is not prayer.

There is a change in the meaning of the word. I however do not make the change. I am point it out and how to get prayer to work by using it in the correct context and it's original meaning.

Why would anyone listen to someone who is SO fucking ignorant that he says "it use to" instead of the correct "it used to mean".
Did you graduate from 8th Grade ? I doubt it.

In fact you showed nothing. You asserted something with NO supporting documentation.
We know what Hebrew culture meant when it said prayers. It's NOT what you claim.
You show nothing. You assert many things. Including last week, that your god was done at creation.
You are an expert on nothing. You have no education on these topics. You make up shit.
You have nothing to offer.

Jesus said what he said. YOU want to change it as it's a total fail.
No Christian alive says you have "to know how to *get prayer to work*" as though it's some sort of *trick* needed to trick your stupid deity.
Is he so stupid he doesn't *know* you're trying to trick him ? Is she so stupid she needs to be addressed in the correct format to get it to work ?
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • brunumb

(02-05-2020, 07:46 PM)Drich Wrote:

I still got hot rod, fire ball, noob, junior, fruit cup, pudding pop, snowflake, b-holes, a-holes, and don't forget the emojis..

That leaves us with asshat, douchebag, and fucking moron. I guess I can live with that.

[Image: here-is-your-participation-trophy.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Drich

(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Drich Wrote: oh, that's right you not the smartest atheist here... you think that falsifiability is the magic bullet to all things religious. Again sport maybe when you get a little more fuzz on your legs you will and can understand falsifiability only applies to a scientific discussion.

You claim your god exists.  You claim that it is real.  You claim it created the universe. You claim it answers prayers,  yet you have never demonstrated that any of these claims are true.....except by making more claims to back up your original claim or pointing to a book of claims, the Bible.  We may as well be discussing Magical Garden Fairies and Invisible Unicorns since there is no way to falsify these two supernatural entities either.   All you have is a pathetically unfalsifiable claim.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Chas, isbelldl, Deesse23

(02-05-2020, 07:46 PM)Drich Wrote:

We know you'll find a way to be insulting.
It's such a Christian thing to do.
Test
  • isbelldl

Hey the xhristard thing to do is to tie infidels to stakes and burn them alive.  Something to remember if shitheads like Dripshit ever try to regain political power.

(02-05-2020, 06:11 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 04:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Drip-shit telling us what Jesus "meant to say". LOL
For a Hebrew, (Jesus was one) here is what prayer is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_in_...brew_Bible
Nothing about "changing your life", no Greek anything.
The video is a worthless droning of a non-expert pretending he knows about a subject he doesn't.
Why is it all these nut-jobs post on YouTube ?
The barriers to entry are low. It costs nothing. Every nut-case in the US is posting some shit on YouTube.

why are you talking about how jews prayed?

oh, because  on the surface it does not support why I said and that is as deep as your 'research' took you...

The problem?

We are not OT jews.

As such that is what prompted luke 11:
One time Jesus was out praying, and when he finished, one of his followers said to him, “John taught his followers how to pray. Lord, teach us how to pray too.”

this 'formal prayer' is the only one taught. The subject was brought up in different scenarios/gospels and this prayer is the only one Jesus taught for CHRISTIANS/His Followers to pray. and as such it is an outline. we can fill in the subjects with ANYTHING in his name. 

all of it to prep up to receive the Holy Spirit

Jesus was a Jew dear. He was an OT Jew. 
You know nothing about Christianity. 
Your drivel is worthless nonsense. 
One thing last week, a different this week. You may need glasses grampa, you can stop with your idiotic been litters. 
Do you read a lot of Childrens books ? 

He did teach them how to pray. "Give us this day our daily bread" .... not "my daily bread". LOL

As for your "in my name" crap, it is the same as if a man who has money in a bank authorizes someone to withdraw it, we are said to do it "in his name". If a son authorizes us to apply to his father for aid because we are his friends, we do it in the name of the son, and the favor will be bestowed on us from the regard which the parent has to his son, and through him to all his friends. So the "in my name" means you are permitted to apply to God in the name of his son, because God is in him well pleased Matthew 3:17, and because we are the friends of his son he answers our requests. Though you are undeserving, yet he loves you on account of his Son, and because he sees in you his image. All the rest is BS. He said ask "anything". Clearly that never happens. Stop moving the goal posts. 
Test

Who is it we don't feed?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Deesse23

(02-05-2020, 03:47 PM)Drich Wrote: Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. when that fuzz kicks in and you brain starts releasing all of the chemicals needed for rational adult conversation you will understand God does not fit in the purview of science as God by definition is not part of the physical and natural world. (which make you look stoo-pid for trying to shoe horn a theological discussion into a subject that allows you control?!?!) 

Understand we can still have a discussion about God under the rules and preview of theological discussion or even sociology neither of which require falsifiability. Wink You panic stop goto of falsifiability is nothing more than an intellectual crutch for those not smart enough to have a simple theological discussion. Is this how you wish to be seen?

Do you wish to be view as intellectually stunted or disabled because of your continued use of a topical crutch?

Science is the systematic study of reality.  If your God is not subject to scientific inquiry then he's not part of reality - he's not real.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • SYZ

Quote:God by definition is not part of the physical and natural world.

Neither is fucking Goldilocks, asshole.

(02-05-2020, 10:05 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Hey the xhristard thing to do is to tie infidels to stakes and burn them alive.  Something to remember if shitheads like Dripshit ever try to regain political power.

Did you listen to Trump's speech?  They are definitely trying.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Of course not.  Why would I want to listen to that lying sack of shit?

(02-05-2020, 02:35 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:42 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Without us having to watch the video, could you describe in a sentence why prayer fails?  Maybe it could hook us into watching the video.

it fails because most of you/us do not even understand what pray is or how it is used.
the video is 6/7 mins long.

Okay I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.

Actually, it's closer to 9 minutes, but who's counting?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(02-06-2020, 12:58 AM)Dānu Wrote: Actually, it's closer to 9 minutes, but who's counting?

9 minutes of monotone droning. 
Last week it was "God doesn't answer prayers cuz he doesn't feel like it, and he got lazy after creation". 
This week it's "You have to know how to trick God into listening to you, to *make it work right*". 
Brilliant, stupefyingly brilliant theology from a man who can't write a sentence in English.
Test
  • brunumb

God doesn't answer prayers because he wants to make a liar out of jesus.

Oh wait.  The assholes insist that they are the same.

So confusing.

(02-05-2020, 02:15 PM)theophilus Wrote: The reason most prayers are unanswered is found in Isaiah 59:1,2...

No.  No it's not the reason.  So-called "prayer" is doomed to fail simply because
it's nothing more than a deluded, internalised appeal to an imaginary supernatural
entity. It's similar to little kids writing to Santa Claus asking for a new bike.

Believers assert that their God hears their prayers and might even, if in a good mood,
grant the requests contained within said prayers — a kind of celestial bonus package.
On occasion, prayers are made to some third party who is believed to have the power
to intercede on behalf of the petitioner, such as a saint or "the Lord's anointed"—royalty,
religious leaders etc.

Though many "studies" have attempted to prove that prayer gets results, there is no
evidence of divine intercession actually occurring, other than occasional applications of
the Texas sharpshooter logical fallacy.  

The man who prays is the one who thinks that God has arranged matters all
wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct God how to put them right.

—Christopher Hitchens.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brunumb

[Image: bdc7ce3ecda71541cd34c58e40481489.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, brunumb, julep, Mark

If God answered prayers, Lenin and Stalin would not have allowed to plunge Russia into Bolshevik horrors for decades.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

So, I have a couple of critiques for your general video, & a few comments on the actual substance.
First, try to work on consistency with your recording. I'm not sure whether you swapped microphones or just didn't have a consistent recording setup, but the audio quality dropped dramatically halfway through.
Second, those random photos were just distracting & took attention away from your speech. The moment Fatman appears on screen, the focus shifts away from what you're trying to say.

As for the actual substance of the video, the short answer is that I'm still not convinced. I can buy the argument that prayers for god to change you or put the holy spirit in you would be answered instead of prayers requesting desires or needs. It still leaves you with no way to know whether a change was coincidental or an actual answer to a prayer. Worse, it fails to account for those that ask for god to change them or put the holy spirit in them, yet see no change as a result. At the end of the day, we still have no reason to believe the thing you're talking to is actually real.