Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
why your prayers often, if not always fail

(02-05-2020, 02:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The fact is, the NT says "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it SHALL BE DONE".
John 14;13. It's simply false. The end.

Addressed in the video actuall this subject is 1/3 of the video..

To Ask in the name of Christ is not to invoke his name like most do. To ask in the name of Christ is to ask God For the thing Christ wants us to have. and in the video I explain what that is.

Invoking Bloody Mary is as fruitful.

(02-05-2020, 02:15 PM)theophilus Wrote: The reason most prayers are unanswered is found in Isaiah 59:1,2,

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
    or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
but your iniquities have made a separation
    between you and your God,
and your sins have hidden his face from you
    so that he does not hear.

Our natural state is one of rebellion against God.  Naturally we shouldn't expect God to answer such a person's prayers.  Anyone who repents of his sin and puts his faith in Jesus Christ if forgiven and becomes a child of God.  A ruler of a nation won't be willing to grant the requests of those who are rebelling against him but he would be willing to listen to one of his children who asked for something.  It is no different with the ruler of the universes.

If you want God to do what you ask, you need to first do what he is asking you to do.

Come, everyone who thirsts,
    come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.
Isaiah 55:1-3 ESV

let me help you out with a modern translation:
“All you people who are thirsty, come!
    Here is water for you to drink.
Don’t worry if you have no money.
    Come, eat and drink until you are full!
You don’t need money.
    The milk and wine are free.
Why waste your money on something that is not real food?
    Why should you work for something that does not really satisfy you?
Listen closely to me and you will eat what is good.
    You will enjoy the food that satisfies your soul.
Listen closely to what I say.
    Listen to me so that you will live.
I will make an agreement with you that will last forever.
    It will be an agreement you can trust, like the one I made with David—

isa 59:
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isa+59&version=ERV

if you read past verse two it is clear the message and requirements you pasted are intended for the people of israel.

(02-05-2020, 02:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Could we PLEASE have sub for sermon threads.

With an ignore option.

we do it is call the christianity forum.

(02-05-2020, 02:40 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Prayer is as useful as a Christmas wish list to Santa.

this is exactly what I address in the 6 min video.

In the beginning, Jehovah was an active god. The history of Christianity has been one long exercise in backing away from that concept of God, and finding reasons for his absence from the world.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus, skyking, Mark

(02-05-2020, 02:38 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: The clip art's an improvement over the sticky notes but watch for copyright.

Your monotone is a bit like being shot in the face with a rhino tranq dart.

Prayer doesn't work for the same reason that faith doesn't move mountains. It's all wishful thinking.

Error 404: God not found. Please check your reality's settings and try again.

mountains of doubt ever heard this term? yes prayer does indeed move mountains of doubt if used correctly. that is what I meant by hang on in the end. If you follow where He leads you are going to experience stuff only god could take you through.

Nevermind prayer.   Greeks prayed to Zeus and like the Milk Jug in the video above, to those believers some were answered.   um....not really ------>   Shake    it was just a koink-ki-dink* -------->  Nod       First provide falsifiable evidence your god exists and then we can discuss prayer, otherwise all you're discussing is wishful thinking.   

*silly version of coincidence.
                                                         T4618

(02-05-2020, 02:54 PM)Dānu Wrote: In the beginning, Jehovah was an active god.  The history of Christianity has been one long exercise in backing away from that concept of God, and finding reasons for his absence from the world.

His absence can be explain in the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

God does not respond to people who build their homes on the sand.

God still interacts with people who homes/spiritual lives can with stand the storms/trials. We know God is there because as pointed out in the video God if we trust and follow him, will call us out on to the stormy seas to walk out to him (similar to peter) and if we go out to him, we either will know A) we did not make it out on to the sea under our own power but by the power of God. or B) even if our faith fails we are now in a position that only God can save us from. 

either way we have proof of God in our lives.

For me it is being tossed aside as a future ditch digger by my high school consular, then when I found God he flipped a switch and turned my life a round. (all the stuff you say I lie about which could be easily vetted with a trip to central Fl.) 

The reason God can't/rarely is found active in orthodox christianity is for the same reason Jesus clashed with the orthodox jews. If Jesus clearly had disdain for the jewish orthodoxy then why would he then laud and magnify the orthodox christian church?

As anything orthodox becomes a study and worship of the method of worship rather than study and worship of God. in other word the religion's methodology becomes a false idol or a false god itself!

Which is why I frequently point out the staples of orthodoxy not being commanded or even alluded to in the bible.

No one told us to pray to marry or the saints... In fact when angels came down and people bowed to them they always said get up, do not worship me! and here we have the church telling us to take our prayers to someone other than the Holy Spirit which is the one Jesus himself told us to pray to!

So when we in the orthodox church build our faith on prayers to marry and the saints... God stands aside when the wind and rain comes and he allows you to pray to them to see if what you believe bout the power of praying to the saints is true.

This again is all in the parable of the wise and foolish builders. 

Most honest people would say after a heart breaking trail that praying to the patron saint of Laborers did not help me save my job. if this happens enough people will conclude rightfully so this whole religion is a sham. but then rather than move on seeking God, they assume because I made this effort, if there was a God he would have made himself known. That is not how it works.

We have been commanded to meet God on his terms, not go 1/2 way and demand God to fill in the gap.

The first thing we must have to approach God is humility, enough to yield to him and to be on his clock.

If this is possible for you then you do not have to make excuses as to why God is not active in modern times.

[Image: 560.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gawdzilla Sama, brunumb, Finite Monkeys, Paleophyte

When I was a boy, my prayers to God were answered at about the same 50% success rate as my wishes on my lucky rabbit's foot.  Pope
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gawdzilla Sama

(02-05-2020, 03:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: When I was a boy, my prayers to God were answered at about the same 50% success rate as my wishes on my lucky rabbit's foot.  Pope

When I was a teenager, I used a pagan Goddess incantation that had the same success rate.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Minimalist, Gawdzilla Sama

(02-05-2020, 03:24 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:38 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:16 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: The clip art's an improvement over the sticky notes but watch for copyright.

Your monotone is a bit like being shot in the face with a rhino tranq dart.

Prayer doesn't work for the same reason that faith doesn't move mountains. It's all wishful thinking.

Error 404: God not found. Please check your reality's settings and try again.

mountains of doubt ever heard this term? yes prayer does indeed move mountains of doubt if used correctly. that is what I meant by hang on in the end. If you follow where He leads you are going to experience stuff only god could take you through.

Nevermind prayer.   Greeks prayed to Zeus and like the Milk Jug in the video above, to those believers some were answered.   um....not really ------>   Shake    it was just a koink-ki-dink* -------->  Nod   
Not how prayer to Greek gods worked back in the day.
Each God had specific roles and controlled certain aspects of life.
Zeus was the God of the sky and the law among other things. let say you had a legal matter you would pray and offer money to zeus and because the priests were the most influential among society and the God, they could usually sway court decisions. So way way more often than not, prayers to zeus went heard and full filled.

That's the thing about religion sport. there is always a mechanism behind it making it work. for the greeks it was their priest and more over their society that empower the priests. people are not as stupid as you guys tell yourselves. no one was giving their last bit of plantable grain to a god just because they were afraid of nothing. Look at islam more over iraq when we first invaded. 1/3 of the country dropped their religion once sadam was over throne, and picked it back up when isis' caliphate took land and power.

The same is true here, there is a power behind the work words of the bible. one that can not be explain by social manipulation 

Quote:   First provide falsifiable evidence your god exists and then we can discuss prayer, otherwise all you're discussing is wishful thinking.   
oh, that's right you not the smartest atheist here... you think that falsifiability is the magic bullet to all things religious. Again sport maybe when you get a little more fuzz on your legs you will and can understand falsifiability only applies to a scientific discussion. 

Science is the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. when that fuzz kicks in and you brain starts releasing all of the chemicals needed for rational adult conversation you will understand God does not fit in the purview of science as God by definition is not part of the physical and natural world. (which make you look stoo-pid for trying to shoe horn a theological discussion into a subject that allows you control?!?!) 

Understand we can still have a discussion about God under the rules and preview of theological discussion or even sociology neither of which require falsifiability. Wink You panic stop goto of falsifiability is nothing more than an intellectual crutch for those not smart enough to have a simple theological discussion. Is this how you wish to be seen?

Do you wish to be view as intellectually stunted or disabled because of your continued use of a topical crutch?

(02-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: When I was a boy, my prayers to God were answered at about the same 50% success rate as my wishes on my lucky rabbit's foot.  Pope

When I was a teenager, I used a pagan Goddess incantation that had the same success rate.

the point I make in the video was... those prayers.. were not prayers.

Those where wishes.

God is not in the wish fulfillment business.

God answers prayers/also defined in the video.

I would eliminate the word "sport" from your vocabulary if I were you, friend.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Drich

(02-05-2020, 03:49 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

Those where wishes.

It SO hilarious watching these religitards redefine words. and tell others (they actually think they get to read minds) ... what they are thinking.
Last week it was that his god didn't *do* prayers cuz he was *done* at the creation.
This week it's something else. If someone genuinely thinks they are praying, they are praying.
Oh well. Fail again.
I suspect he can't post this shit on his Christian site, as they clearly know he is no Christian.
Yawn.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • brunumb

(02-05-2020, 03:49 PM)Drich Wrote: the point I make in the video was... those prayers.. were not prayers.

Those where wishes.

Until you have opened yourself to the wonders of the Goddess, you have no business dismissing that which you refuse to experience by knocking on her door.

(02-05-2020, 03:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: When I was a teenager, I used a pagan Goddess incantation that had the same success rate.

Those where wishes.

It SO hilarious watching these religitards redefine words. and tell others (they actually think they get to read minds) ... what they are thinking.
Last week it was that his god didn't *do* prayers cuz he was *done* at the creation.
This week it's something else. If someone genuinely thinks they are praying, they are praying.
Oh well. Fail again.
I suspect he can't post this shit on his Christian site, as they clearly know he is no Christian.
Yawn.

[Image: 0_F1_DBA24-09_FC-406_B-9_B41-8950_D1_A58_E87.jpg]

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus, Minimalist

(02-05-2020, 03:25 PM)Drich Wrote: His absence can be explain in the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

Oh ... yet another excuse.

Quote:God still interacts with people who homes/spiritual lives can with stand the storms/trials. We know God is there because as pointed out in the video God if we trust and follow him, will call us out on to the stormy seas to walk out to him (similar to peter) and if we go out to him, we either will know A) we did not make it out on to the sea under our own power but by the power of God. or B) even if our faith fails we are now in a position that only God can save us from. 

So then, your position leaves you SO desperate you have no options. Glad you admit it.

Quote:either way we have proof of God in our lives.

Actually it's the opposite .... AS YOU JUST SAID.
All you have is the ABSENSE of the gods in your life.

Quote:The first thing we must have to approach God is humility, enough to yield to him and to be on his clock.

LMAO
The day you ever show any humility is the day I become Pope.

Quote:If this is possible for you then you do not have to make excuses as to why God is not active in modern times.

And yet, here you are, doing exactly that.
Test

(02-05-2020, 03:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: When I was a teenager, I used a pagan Goddess incantation that had the same success rate.

Those where wishes.

Oh well. Fail again.
Yawn.

that's the thing...
I did not redefine anything.

In the video I showed using the original greek text and context of the passage so show how the word has shifted meaning. 

That it use to mean God change me to fit your will, to God change your plan to fit my wishes.

And the final nail is I show the original greek work for making your wishes known to God and it is not prayer.

There is a change in the meaning of the word. I however do not make the change. I am point it out and how to get prayer to work by using it in the correct context and it's original meaning.

(02-05-2020, 03:58 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:49 PM)Drich Wrote: the point I make in the video was... those prayers.. were not prayers.

Those where wishes.

Until you have opened yourself to the wonders of the Goddess, you have no business dismissing that which you refuse to experience by knocking on her door.

which one?

(02-05-2020, 02:40 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 02:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The fact is, the NT says "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it SHALL BE DONE".
John 14;13. It's simply false. The end.

Addressed in the video actuall this subject is 1/3 of the video..

To Ask in the name of Christ is not to invoke his name like most do. To ask in the name of Christ is to ask God For the thing Christ wants us to have. and in the video I explain what that is.

I get how you want to make YOUR prideful substitution the fake answer to your problem.
You are not Jesus.
He said "Ask ANYTHING in my name". He did not say "ask the ONE thing I want".
Nice try ... but it's pathetic.
Fail again.
Go away ... you have nothing.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • brunumb

[Image: floor.jpg?w=840]
The following 11 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, airportkid, Dānu, brunumb, Chimp3, Chas, SYZ, Mathilda, isbelldl, Deesse23, Mark

Drip-shit telling us what Jesus "meant to say". LOL
For a Hebrew, (Jesus was one) here is what prayer is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_in_...brew_Bible
Nothing about "changing your life", no Greek anything.
The video is a worthless droning of a non-expert pretending he knows about a subject he doesn't.
Why is it all these nut-jobs post on YouTube ?
The barriers to entry are low. It costs nothing. Every nut-case in the US is posting some shit on YouTube.
Test

(02-05-2020, 04:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 03:25 PM)Drich Wrote: His absence can be explain in the parable of the wise and foolish builders.

Oh ... yet another excuse.
this proviso was included in the original text. IE this is not 'another excuse' this is the primary stated reason.

You just do not understand the topic well enough to identify this condition.

Quote:God still interacts with people who homes/spiritual lives can with stand the storms/trials. We know God is there because as pointed out in the video God if we trust and follow him, will call us out on to the stormy seas to walk out to him (similar to peter) and if we go out to him, we either will know A) we did not make it out on to the sea under our own power but by the power of God. or B) even if our faith fails we are now in a position that only God can save us from. 

So then, your position leaves you SO desperate you have no options. Glad you admit it.
[/quote]I gave two senerios. 1) being we follow God's call and we make it out, to which our making it to this point can only be attributed to God. 2) shows what happens when you start out strong in the faith as peter being called out on to the sea to walk with Christ, but looses faith 1/2 way and fails. again discussed in the video, even used clip art depicting peter being pulled from the water in case you fail. I even used my own example of when one does not fail, and sink. As I was given a very successful business to work from. again beyond my training and scope. yet things keep falling into place (for the last 20ish years)/The company keep growing..

The thought being communicated that if you pass or fail, you will personally know that only God could have taken you there. either through sucess or him saving you from your doom.

Quote:either way we have proof of God in our lives.
Quote:Actually it's the opposite .... AS YOU JUST SAID.
All you have is the ABSENSE of the gods in your life.
No, read what I said again hot rod.

I said either way either scenario will be proof of God. The only people who do not get this proof are people who create their own version of God, and cry out to it when the winds and rains come.

Quote:The first thing we must have to approach God is humility, enough to yield to him and to be on his clock.
Quote:LMAO
The day you ever show any humility is the day I become Pope.
humility takes many forms..
let's pretend for a moment in your mind and what I said is true, about the business God graced me with. This would make me a CEO of a small (under 250 employees makes between 750,000.00 and 38 million dollars a year.) I have between 12 and 18 employees  subdivided into 3 parts of the company. Sales, service and the factory floor.

ever been a boss? ever been a manager? in a good company a good boss or manager has people kissing the butts all day. take that up a notch or two when you become the owner. I could poop on the floor infront of everyone and fire someone else for doing it and they would all gang up on that other person. Why because everyone here makes really good money for what they do. One time i sent a a new guy home for being really late, and he took a swing at me, by the time I straighten up 6 guys had him on the ground kicking the piss out of him and one of the guys kicking was his cousin. I had to jump ontop of the guy getting kicked to save him from being hurt any more. (got pics of his back of a dozen or so steel toed boots left their mark if you want to see them)
not to mention my wife.. last pic in the series of pics in this last video, is far above and beyond my level of attractiveness. I do not deserve her in anyway, and she loves me and there is nothing I can ask she won't do for me. plus we been together almost 20 years. Then my spiritual life/in the church. I could name a position of spiritual leadership if i wanted it and would be welcome to it. As far as material things i want for nothing. I need nothing.

The point is everywhere but here/places like this, I am a celebrated person. Then I come here or a place like this since 2005 ish to be shat upon. to have every flaw taken apart over and over and over again to have every word doubted and demonized, to be called names and to have every part of my life scrutinized doubted and dismissed. then when one of you think he or she is under my skin I get to hear about that for the next six months. 

I spend between 10 and 25 hours a week here or making video (this last one took me twice as long) I make nothing doing any of this. and what's more most of you are not even people i would choose to hang out with simply because of political or 'morality choices.' despite anything to do with God or religion.

Not to mention all of the person crap I have to over come whether it be personal stuff I feel obligated to share, or any problems that will be scrutinized with my ability to communicate in this format.

The bottom line here is I feel called to do this. I feel an obligation to answer your questions and your concerns so long as I can see one or two of you trying. even if it means I have to take off all that I accomplish/what God gave me and be the guy who can not spell or has bad grammar So you do not feel too intimidated to tell how you really feel.

So why do I not 'feel humble to you?

because most of you seek humility and meekness as being one in the same.

I can not be meek among jackals who eat their own if they see weakness. I have to protect the integrity of my research and work even at the expense of your pride. as despite what you may say about me personally someone seeking the truth can know if I say TJ was ABC and leave links that despite what they may have been taught what I am saying is true. Even if it mean your personal humiliation for opposing me. 

Oh, and we already have a pope like you don't need another.

Quote:If this is possible for you then you do not have to make excuses as to why God is not active in modern times.

And yet, here you are, doing exactly that.
[/quote]
he is active to those who seek him on his terms.

"Jesus" was obviously a piss-poor communicator, Buck.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus