Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Grim.

This is Grim.
Poor bastards.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/scien...=361849652

Quote:Brains Turned to Glass? Suffocated in Boathouses? Vesuvius Victims Get New Look

Two studies examined grim scenes left at a Roman settlement devastated by the 79 A.D. eruption.

Quote:While Pompeii was consumed by ash, Herculaneum was done in by a pyroclastic flow — a fast-moving, dense, extremely hot surge of ash, gas and rock. At the city’s seaside, hundreds of people died that day. The remains of 340 of them have been unearthed since 1980 — some in the boathouses, known as fornici, and some on the beach.

How they died has long been debated. A prevailing hypothesis is that their blood and brains were vaporized by the extreme heat of the pyroclastic flow. At another site in the city, some researchers have proposed that at least one person’s brain turned to glass.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, brewerb, SYZ, GenesisNemesis, Tres Leches, Brian37

This is Grim.
Show ContentSpoiler:

Quote:This photo was taken in July 1913 by French photographer Albert Kahn. Albert Kahn was a millionaire banker who pioneered color photography using the process invented by the Lumière brothers. During his trip through exotic countries, Albert Kahn visited Mongolia where he took this picture of a woman who was condemned to slow and painful starvation by being deposited in a remote desert inside a wooden crate that was to become her tomb. Initially the bowls on the ground had water in it, though was not intentionally refilled, and the person inside was allowed to beg for food which often just prolonged their suffering as they generally didn’t get enough food for the passersby. The photographer had to leave her in the box because it would be against a prime directive of anthropologists to intervene in another cultures law and order system.
The photo was first published in the 1922 issue of National Geographic under the caption “Mongolian prisoner in a box”. It was the publishers who made the claim that the woman was condemned to die of starvation as a punishment for adultery. Since then, many people expressed doubts over the story, although the authenticity of the photo is undisputed.

Immurement (from Latin im- “in” and mūrus “wall”; literally “walling in”) is a form of imprisonment, usually for life, in which a person is placed within an enclosed space with no exits. This includes instances where people have been enclosed in extremely tight confinement, such as within a coffin. When used as a means of execution, the prisoner is simply left to die from starvation or dehydration. Immurement was practiced in Mongolia as recently as the early 20th century. It is not necessarily clear that all thus immured were meant to die of starvation, though. In a newspaper report from 1914, it is written: “..the prisons and dungeons of the Far Eastern country contain a number of refined Chinese shut up for life in heavy iron-bound coffins, which do not permit them to sit upright or lie down. These prisoners see daylight for only a few minutes daily when the food is thrown into their coffins through a small hole”.

(Photo credit: The Dawn of the Color Photograph: Albert Kahn’s Archives of the Planet).
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

This is Grim.
Man's inhumanity to man?

This is Grim.
(02-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Poor bastards.

Whenever this comes up, I can't get over how accurate Plini the Younger discribed the pyriclastic flows. Confirmation of his observations only came after almost 2000 years. Not even gods involved in his tale, just cool scientific observation.
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Deesse23, GenesisNemesis, Tres Leches

This is Grim.
(02-02-2020, 04:38 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Man's inhumanity to man?

Or a convenient way to get a divorce. Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Brian37

This is Grim.
Pliny's comments.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm

This is Grim.
(02-02-2020, 04:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(02-02-2020, 04:38 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Man's inhumanity to man?

Or a convenient way to get a divorce.  Consider

I remember that during one of the baseball strikes or lockouts one of the owners called for a "partnership" with the players.  Mark Grace, then a star with the Cubs said " Partners?  I'd rather be partners with my ex-wife's lawyer."

Not sure why you reminded me of that.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Brian37

This is Grim.
THIS shit is grim. And NSFW. https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/father-...ongo-1904/

This is Grim.
Westerners today seem to have a hard time recognizing the impact that colonialism had on the colonized. 

And yes.  What Belgium did in the Congo was one of the great crimes of history.

https://www.historytoday.com/archive/con...t-darkness
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • abaris, GenesisNemesis, Szuchow

This is Grim.
Unit 731. Some of the most horrific shit I've ever read about.

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 03:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Unit 731. Some of the most horrific shit I've ever read about.

Dr. Mengele gave them some competition.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 03:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Unit 731. Some of the most horrific shit I've ever read about.

And promptly recruited into US service. Wouldn't want that precious research go to waste.

(02-04-2020, 05:16 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Dr. Mengele gave them some competition.

There were others giving Mengele a run for his money. Such as the largely overlooked Sigmund Rascher at Dachau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Rascher

Some of his aides have also been recruited for operation Paperclip. Such as Hubertus Strughold, who was instrumental in designing the American space suits.
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

This is Grim.
You're both right of course but those are examples of humans being malignant murdering scum.  It's somewhat different when you are standing there minding your own business and all of a sudden Mother Nature comes along and gives you a cosmic "FUCK YOU!!!!"

In re-reading the account which Pliny wrote of the eruption I was struck by his total lack of blame on supernatural causation.  He didn't blame Vulcan or suggest that Jupiter was pissed that he didn't get laid the night before!  How rational Pliny sounded when compared to the idiotic ramblings of Clement VI some 1200+ years later.

Quote:In October 1349, Pope Clement VI issued a religious order to stop the violence against the Jews. He said that Jews did not cause the plague, but rather it was “the result of an angry God striking at the Christian people for their sins.” 

https://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights-i...urope.html

Jesusism really set back rational thought.

This is Grim.
(02-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Poor bastards.

Quote:Brains Turned to Glass? Suffocated in Boathouses? Vesuvius Victims Get New Look

Two studies examined grim scenes left at a Roman settlement devastated by the 79 A.D. eruption.

Quote:While Pompeii was consumed by ash, Herculaneum was done in by a pyroclastic flow — a fast-moving, dense, extremely hot surge of ash, gas and rock. At the city’s seaside, hundreds of people died that day. The remains of 340 of them have been unearthed since 1980 — some in the boathouses, known as fornici, and some on the beach.

How they died has long been debated. A prevailing hypothesis is that their blood and brains were vaporized by the extreme heat of the pyroclastic flow. At another site in the city, some researchers have proposed that at least one person’s brain turned to glass.

O M AND F ING G......

I have a long personal history with Vesuvius. 

When I was a kid, my late mother wanted to educate me, so she subscribed me to the kid's version of "National Geographic" which was called "World Magazine". This was in the 70s when the first issue of "World" came out.

Ok, and you can google it, the first edition , on the cover had this European "Daisy Duke" looking blond with a bandana on her head, sliding down snow on a hill picture. All I could think was, "Hey pretty lady".

So, I open it up, First story is about backpacking. A few pages later, a picture of a penguin with a tracker on it. Then the second story is about weird looking frog and insect eyes. Then on page 12, several "Newspaper" headlines as if back then the modern newspaper existed, "Volcano Erupts; Thousands Die" but with a artistic painting rendition of a family trying to run away from the eruption with fear on their faces. 

KEEP  IN MIND, I WAS A KID, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A KIDS EDUCATIONAL MAGAZINE.......

This is the same mother who took me to see JAWS!  WHO DOES THAT? 

So as if the painting depiction wasn't scary enough, I flip to the next page to see REAL pictures of the aftermath and plaster casts of the dead.

NO, I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES!  I can laugh at it now, but it did give me nightmares as a kid. I know my mom was simply trying to educate me, but there is such thing as age appropriateness. 

[Image: 8538683708_fcf4274136_b.jpg]
 Check out my atheist poetry here... https://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771 I also go by "RationalPoet"@brianrrs37 on Twitter and "Brian James" Rational Poet on FB. 

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 06:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote: NO, I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES!  I can laugh at it now, but it did give me nightmares as a kid.

Huh

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 06:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote: I flip to the next page to see REAL pictures of the aftermath and plaster casts of the dead.

Even as a kid that did nothing but fascinate me and peek my interest in history. Along with the classical legends of Homer and others.

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 06:38 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 06:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote: NO, I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES!  I can laugh at it now, but it did give me nightmares as a kid.

Huh

What is not to understand? I was a scared kid back then, things like that scared me. Just like Jaws scared me. "I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES" is my sarcasm, to say yes, I did have nightmares.

Everything scared me as a kid back then. I was also literally afraid of shadows at night. It is understandable when you are a kid and don't know better, to have things scare you.

I laugh at it now because I am an adult. I don't mean laughing at the victims, but just in that I didn't understand that my mom was simply giving me something educational.

Kids are not born with adult brains or adult education.
 Check out my atheist poetry here... https://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771 I also go by "RationalPoet"@brianrrs37 on Twitter and "Brian James" Rational Poet on FB. 

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 06:49 PM)abaris Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 06:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote: I flip to the next page to see REAL pictures of the aftermath and plaster casts of the dead.

Even as a kid that did nothing but fascinate me and peek my interest in history. Along with the classical legends of Homer and others.

I wish I had my adult knowledge I have now back then. But every human is different. I think a lot of my fear of anything back then, was do to being adopted. Separation anxiety from biological parents does have a long term effect on the adopted. It also didn't help that my adopted parents were authoritarians, and I was sensitive. I also had nothing but boys, bullies, on my street. Plus I was very superstitious back then as a kid. Everything scared the shit out of me as a kid. Of course I am 53 now and long since outgrew that. But kids are not a factory product and we all grow up with different experiences.

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 06:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote: "I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES" is my sarcasm, to say yes, I did have nightmares.

Thanks.  The absence of a sarcasm font is sorely felt in this age of typewritten conversation.

I just googled "sarcasm smileys" and got a slew of smileys, none of which looked to me to be obviously sarcastic.  Sarcasm is a tone of voice, usually delivered with a deadpan expression, so a true sarcasm smiley is probably impossible.  Needs to be a font that conveys that snarky tone of voice.  Might be a Pulitzer for the genius who develops something like that that takes hold.  Tongue

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 07:00 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 06:49 PM)Brian37 Wrote: "I DID NOT HAVE NIGHTMARES" is my sarcasm, to say yes, I did have nightmares.

Thanks.  The absence of a sarcasm font is sorely felt in this age of typewritten conversation.

I just googled "sarcasm smileys" and got a slew of smileys, none of which looked to me to be obviously sarcastic.  Sarcasm is a tone of voice, usually delivered with a deadpan expression, so a true sarcasm smiley is probably impossible.  Needs to be a font that conveys that snarky tone of voice.  Might be a Pulitzer for the genius who develops something like that that takes hold.  Tongue

Text today especially in what I like to call "McMedia" like "McDonalds" can be hard to interpret. 

Point was, looking back, my mom was simply trying to give me the benefit of the doubt and thought I could handle the graphic images. Just like she thought I could handle Jaws. But again, every child is different, and she was raised "boys don't cry. buck it up," So she didn't understand child psychology in any modern sense. Those graphic images did scare me, just like Jaws did. 

Good thing as an adult though, I don't have that fear. I can now read about Vesuvius in an historical academic view without having nightmares. Even as an adult, old horror or even new horror films don't scare me. 

But, if I am being honest. I still have some fears. I fear heights to this day, and fear flying because of turbulence. I'd kill to visit Pompeii. But since airlines don't offer medical induced comas, I don't think I am going to ever visit Pompeii. I'd love to though.

This is Grim.
Went to Pompeii in 1995 - back when my hair was still dark.

Photo from the forum with Vesuvius in the background.  When you're there the impression is that the mountain is even closer than the 5 miles they have measured.  It seems to loom over everything.

[Image: scan0013.jpg]

The poor bastards never had a chance.  Herculaneum is even closer to the volcano.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

This is Grim.
This is a chilling quote from the article. "The rising heat then baked, and preserved, their remains."

This reminds me of some "Darwin Award" story I read online long ago, were a factory worker fell asleep in a kiln and  someone else locked it and started it. 

In reality back then, nobody had any modern knowledge of volcanos, pyroclastic flow, or thermodynamics. So some tried to escape to the boat houses which was futile and got baked like the guy who fell asleep in the factory kiln. 

I have read in other stories about that event, many even thought simply jumping in water would save them. Nope. That would be like a crab or lobster thinking cold water stays cold. 

You simply don't want to be near ANY volcano, on land, or water, if it blows. 

This is Grim.
(02-04-2020, 07:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Went to Pompeii in 1995 - back when my hair was still dark.

Photo from the forum with Vesuvius in the background.  When you're there the impression is that the mountain is even closer than the 5 miles they have measured.  It seems to loom over everything.

[Image: scan0013.jpg]

The poor bastards never had a chance.  Herculaneum is even closer to the volcano.

I fucking hate you! I am jealous.

This is Grim.
Think about this shit though. Even in America, scientists know Yosemite is sitting on a megga magma pocket. It is stable now sure, but just like earth getting hit by another meteor, even that is a matter of when, not if.

This is Grim.
I was on a Mt across the valley of Mt Fuji back in 2000. Unfortunately because of cloud cover, I couldn't see the peak of Fuji. But I could see the base. You talk about a fucking monster. That base went from left to right as far as the eye could see, which made you imagine how tall that monster was. And I do remember thinking, "Don't do anything while I am here."