Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yabut, is it magic?

Yabut, is it magic?
One can view the world in more than one way, but a major dichotomy is between the credulous and the skeptical.
Like the discussion on spirituality, we can see stage magic as either clever or mystical.

I am amazed at what these people can do, but even though I can rarely ever see how it was done and often can't even conceive how it was done, I don't immediately (or ever) conclude "Ooh, ooh, REAL MAJIK" Shock

The argument from ignorance is lazy, but wonder and amazement are real.  One can experience the ineffable without leaping to unwarranted conclusions.

N.B. I love stage magic. Thumbs Up
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, Paleophyte

Yabut, is it magic?
One thing pops into my mind: Copperfield once made the statue of liberty disappear.
It looked really impressive, until it was revealed that the viewers just sat on a disc-like auditorium and were simply sviveled around (at night, dark sky, they culdnt notice).

No matter how impressive some "miracle" may seem, the actual trick maybe extraordinarily simple. A clear reminder that scepticism is warranted!
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 4 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, Paleophyte

Yabut, is it magic?
I can make money disappear from my bank account, but I wouldn't call it magic.
The following 5 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Deesse23, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo, skyking, Paleophyte

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 09:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I can make money disappear from my bank account, but I wouldn't call it magic.

I have the same personal experience. Coinicidence?  Dunno
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Phaedrus, skyking

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 11:24 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 09:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: ... I can make money disappear from my bank account, but I wouldn't call it magic ...
... I have the same personal experience. Coinicidence ...?
Eerie.  Consider 

You should start a cult; expose a wider audience to sharing that experience, even at a risk of inducing the inverse of the experience yourself.  Shy
The following 4 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Fireball, brewerb, skyking, Paleophyte

Yabut, is it magic?
Nothing beats the disappearing act of socks. Where do they go? I have to buy several identical pairs because some always escape.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, skyking

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 12:46 PM)Dom Wrote: Nothing beats the disappearing act of socks. Where do they go? I have to buy several identical pairs because some always escape.

Reminds me of that spin-off, "Land of the Lost Socks."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 09:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I can make money disappear from my bank account, but I wouldn't call it magic.

Both of my brother's ex-wives made money disappear from his bank accounts like magic.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 12:02 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 09:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: ... I can make money disappear from my bank account, but I wouldn't call it magic ...
Eerie.  Consider 

You should start a cult; expose a wider audience to sharing that experience, even at a risk of inducing the inverse of the experience yourself.  Shy

Hats, we need funny hats!
R.I.P. Hannes

Yabut, is it magic?
Believers.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 12:46 PM)Dom Wrote: Nothing beats the disappearing act of socks. Where do they go? I have to buy several identical pairs because some always escape.

As socks magically disappear, so do wire coat hangers magically multiply.        Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Paleophyte

Yabut, is it magic?
When I was in college one of the theatre students was a sort of a magic prodigy.  He'd been doing it since he was 4 years old.  I'd sit right next to him while he'd do his card tricks and other magic things and I couldn't see the slight of hand.  It was amazing. He used to go down to Los Angeles and learn new magic tricks at the Magic Castle.    He wanted me to be his assistant, you know dress in the little skimpy outfit and stuff but I had other things to do with my life. Frankly it sounded awful.   Anyway, sometimes Curtis would come in the green room of the theatre department and do a whole hour show for anyone sitting there, usually  people were  studying for an exam or going over lines for a play.  Curtis didn't care.   It was like he was on some sort of high.  Then sometimes no one would see him for weeks on end.  Turns out he was severely bi-polar.

The last time I saw Curtis he was standing on the top of the college theatre building threatening to throw himself off.  They got him down and that was it for poor Curtis.  Someone told me that he lived in a group home and had put on 300 lbs from the medications he had to take.  It was so sad.  

So that's my one experience with a magician.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V

Yabut, is it magic?

Same here.  Socks that run in herds are far easier to round up than those that stay in monogamous pairs.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Yabut, is it magic?

They are sacrifices to the Sock Monster, that he may be placated and not come out of the dryer to chew our feet off.

Yabut, is it magic?
sock herding.
That's my policy too it has stopped all magic in my laundry area.

Yabut, is it magic?
Arthur Conan Doyle, was a personal acquaintance with Harry Houdini. Even though Houdini told Doyle that everything he did was trickery and illusion, skill, not magic. Doyle did not believe him. Even after his tutoring Doyle, Doyle claimed Houdini was lying and really did perform using magic. Doyle also believed in the very real existence of fairies. Duped by a teen aged girl with faked photographs.

Gullibility taken to extremes. The will to believe. There is a lesson here.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 12:02 PM)airportkid Wrote:
Eerie.  Consider 

If you elect me as your leader I will make it my dedicated mission to ensure that money will disappear from the bank accounts of all our members without fear or favour.   Whistling
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Deesse23

Yabut, is it magic?
(01-28-2020, 02:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:

As socks magically disappear, so do wire coat hangers magically multiply.         Big Grin

Ah! Not magic.  You know you have paper clips, but you can't find one, right?

They are larval coat hangers.  Read
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte