Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why faith fails

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:20 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: The problem is associating something to a god that has never been proven to exist.

Yup.  This is something Drip has never done.  He lives in a neverending circular reasoning world.

citation, or is this just a lazy blanket statement you are throwing out there that should work on all christians?

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:23 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Oh look. Another spamy video spouting irrelevant Christian BS ... which NO ONE here cares about at all.  
If it fails, then it's the fault of their gods.

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:8

They really ought to read their Babble once in a while.

Drippy, you're far more entertaining with your batshit crazy inventions ... like tapping into the "nuclear energy" at the center of the Earth. LOL
not talking about salvation here dummy. watch the video.

I am speaking on relationship. why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof, while other languish and only get nothing.

It is possible to be saved and never hear from God. this video explains why. which is separate and apart from salvation... so wrong again. do you know anything at all about the christianity spelled out in the bible?

(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote: why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof,

Personal experience isn't proof, dearie.  How many times do we have to tell you this?

it is for the intellectually honest.

If god showed up in your room right now and demonstrated who he was. you would still claim to not believe?

Are you so tied to group think you need permission by your scientific overlords to think anything different than what they tell you?

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:03 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:20 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: The problem is associating something to a god that has never been proven to exist.

Yup.  This is something Drip has never done.  He lives in a neverending circular reasoning world.

citation, or is this just a lazy blanket statement you are throwing out there that should work on all christians?

No, dearie. YOU make the claim a god exists, the onus is on YOU to provide the evidence.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:42 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: papal infallibility never mention in the bible, in fact peter the first supposed pope was fraught with error and was constantly being corrected by Christ. Kinda ballsy to say one thinks he is better than an actual disciple who was directly taught by christ.

Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I suppose the fact that Christ likened his teachings to a rock upon which one should build one's life and that Jesus also likened the church founded by Peter to being built on a rock never occurred to you.

And... that is how your defense of peter being the rock God builds his church.. AND what was the previously statement Jesus just gave to identify the foundation of his church should be your question.

Do you know there are two words being used to identify rock and peter. Petros small piece or gravel was given to identify peter's role, and then the other word is petra a stable foundation a large stone a cliff edge. So grammatically you've already got an issue with your cherry picked isolated verse. Petros is not foundational material, grammatically petra is and Christ himself makes this distinction.

blueletterbible.org/kjv/mat/16/1/t_conc_945018
The next big problem you have is everything before the 'and.' meaning contextually you reading does not hold up.

here is the completed context:
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it.

What version of Jesus christ centered Christianity does not have this confession of faith apart of the central beliefs?

This one confession peter made this small contribution this piece of the rock peter first voiced is the foundation of all christian belief all over the world, no matter what denomination or creed this one statement of truth is the foundation for the whole church. one can not be 'christian' and not believe what simon said.

Now because simon was the first to confess this, Jesus commemorated him as being the first to be shown by the holy spirit this universal truth and changed his name to petros for his small contribution to the larger petra foundation of the church.

After this major statement and his involvement in the first part of acts and confirmation of Paul as a legit apostle, Peter's contributions were not enough to start or maintain the church. in fact his teaching demanded everyone be converted to judaism first for even the men to be circumcised.

In truth it was paul who fathered the gentile church not peter. Peter thought it beneath him to teach unconverted gentiles and had it out with Paul for a long time on these issues. The writings of Paul represent 2/3s of the NT. from just this, there is enough to start a church. in fact most of the non-denomination movement is based on what Paul wrote.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 05:03 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:20 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yup.  This is something Drip has never done.  He lives in a neverending circular reasoning world.

No, dearie. YOU make the claim a god exists, the onus is on YOU to provide the evidence.

sorry sport. I was told my reasoning was circular. That was the charge. I want proof of it. I want a cut and paste or a link or something that demonstrates what i have been accused of.

This has nothing to do with God till the citation my accuser provides shows me engaged in circular reasoning somehow connected to God.

Maybe you guys do not understand the term circular reasoning, maybe you think all arguments concerning God are circular by nature. You could simply not understand linear logic can be applied to the proof of God. which is why I asked for a citation after all you are making the claim my logic is not sound, so prove it give me a citation.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:01 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:27 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote: not talking about salvation here dummy. watch the video.

I am speaking on relationship. why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof, while other languish and only get nothing.

It is possible to be saved and never hear from God. this video explains why. which is separate and apart from salvation... so wrong again. do you know anything at all about the christianity spelled out in the bible?

Well, IS "christianity" actually spelled out in the bible?   Can you give a reference?

yes. When Ask Jesus himself gave two laws.
Love God with all you are. love your neighbor as yourself.

He literally says in following these two laws everything God wants from you is completed.

luke 10

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

And what part said "christianity" and I mean the phrase you stated was in the bible?
A friend in need is a pain in the ass. If you are lucky, when he comes around you won't be home!

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:30 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:42 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: papal infallibility never mention in the bible, in fact peter the first supposed pope was fraught with error and was constantly being corrected by Christ. Kinda ballsy to say one thinks he is better than an actual disciple who was directly taught by christ.

Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I suppose the fact that Christ likened his teachings to a rock upon which one should build one's life and that Jesus also likened the church founded by Peter to being built on a rock never occurred to you.

And... that is how your defense of peter being the rock God builds his church.. AND what was the previously statement Jesus just gave to identify the foundation of his church should be your question.

Do you know there are two words being used to identify rock and peter. Petros small piece or gravel was given to identify peter's role, and then the other word is petra a stable foundation a large stone a cliff edge. So grammatically you've already got an issue with your cherry picked isolated verse. Petros is not foundational material, grammatically petra is and Christ himself makes this distinction.

blueletterbible.org/kjv/mat/16/1/t_conc_945018
The next big problem you have is everything before the 'and.' meaning contextually you reading does not hold up.

here is the completed context:
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it.

What version of Jesus christ centered Christianity does not have this confession of faith apart of the central beliefs?

This one confession peter made this small contribution this piece of the rock peter first voiced is the foundation of all christian belief all over the world, no matter what denomination or creed this one statement of truth is the foundation for the whole church. one can not be 'christian' and not believe what simon said.

Now because simon was the first to confess this, Jesus commemorated him as being the first to be shown by the holy spirit this universal truth and changed his name to petros for his small contribution to the larger petra foundation of the church.

After this major statement and his involvement in the first part of acts and confirmation of Paul as a legit apostle, Peter's contributions were not enough to start or maintain the church. in fact his teaching demanded everyone be converted to judaism first for even the men to be circumcised.

In truth it was paul who fathered the gentile church not peter. Peter thought it beneath him to teach unconverted gentiles and had it out with Paul for a long time on these issues. The writings of Paul represent 2/3s of the NT. from just this, there is enough to start a church. in fact most of the non-denomination movement is based on what Paul wrote.

It's ambiguous what Jesus was referring to by "this," but its proximity to the subject Peter, as well as the obvious parallel that Jesus was drawing between Peter, meaning rock, and the foundation of his church being a rock pretty much clinches it. And the idea that there was a distinction between small and large rocks being referred to didn't hold at the time, so that's a non-issue. ("The difference in meaning can only be found in Attic Greek, but the New Testament was written in Koine Greek—an entirely different dialect. In Koine Greek, both petros and petra simply meant “rock.” If Jesus had wanted to call Simon a small stone, the Greek lithos would have been used." [source]) You're welcome to believe otherwise, but your belief is just conjecture. But then, I forget that you are God, so I guess that settles that.

Incidentally, looking at an interlinear bible, it clearly indicates that Jesus is saying something in addition to what came before the "And I tell you" that you are keying on here, which in the interlinear bible I am consulting is "kagō de soi legō" which it translates as, "I also now to you say," so your grammatical point doesn't seem to hold up, either. The idea that the church would be founded upon Christ's divinity was a weak point to start with. Do you really believe that Jesus was saying that the church would be founded upon his divinity?

ETA: Taking another look at the verse, I don't see Jesus consecrating Simon as Peter serves any function in that sentence other than to serve as the antecedent to the "this" that follows.

ETA2: Inb4 your usual bullshit, saying that papal infallibility is not mentioned in the bible is modally equivalent to saying that it is not possible that papal infallibility is mentioned in the bible, but since it is possible that this is what Jesus meant, your assertion fails.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:05 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:23 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote: not talking about salvation here dummy. watch the video.

(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote: why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof,

Personal experience isn't proof, dearie.  How many times do we have to tell you this?

it is for the intellectually honest.

If god showed up in your room right now and demonstrated who he was. you would still claim to not believe?

Are you so tied to group think you need permission by your scientific overlords to think anything different than what they tell you?

How would he do that? Card tricks, pulling Hitler out of a tophat? Daffodils in January?
A friend in need is a pain in the ass. If you are lucky, when he comes around you won't be home!

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Oh look. Another spamy video spouting irrelevant Christian BS ... which NO ONE here cares about at all.  
If it fails, then it's the fault of their gods.

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:8

They really ought to read their Babble once in a while.

Drippy, you're far more entertaining with your batshit crazy inventions ... like tapping into the "nuclear energy" at the center of the Earth. LOL
not talking about salvation here dummy. watch the video.

Not gonna watch your stupid ignorant videos. Don't care what you think you are TRYING to speak about. No one cares here what you are speaking about.
There is no "daily proof" ... if you had "proof" you wouldn't need faith ... now would you. Do you ever actually *think* about the drivel that flows from your nonsense. It doesn't matter what you think you are talking about ... you nonsense contradicts your basic position (deism). Since you don't get the big concepts, you are incapable of seeing the contradictions.

Quote:it is for the intellectually honest

BTW,
Personal anecdotes are evidence and proof of nothing.
"Anecdotes often refer to the exception, rather than the rule: "Anecdotes are useless precisely because they may point to idiosyncratic responses." More generally, a statistical correlation between things does not in itself prove that one causes the other (a causal link)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

There is no "Christianity *spelled out in the Bible*. The Bible says nothing about "Christianity".
Paul and Jesus (if they existed .... which you have never proven, just like you have never demonstrated the authority of you scripture) were both Jewish apocalyptics.
They thought the end-times were immanent. There was no reason to "spell out" anything, if the "end-times were immanent". They were both wrong. "Christians" in the First Century were JEWS, and went to temple and synagogues. At the end of the 1st Century the Jewish High Priest issued the "expulsion curses" as the Jews were sick of the members of the "Way" (later called Christians) subsect of Jews causing trouble.
(Sorry ... I know that's a lot of big words for you). Christianity was never spelled out anywhere. If you actually KNEW anything about the subject you pretend to be able to talk about, you would know it developed over decades, centuries and is still developing today.
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Deesse23, brunumb, Astreja

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 07:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: BTW,
Personal anecdotes are evidence and proof of nothing.
"Anecdotes often refer to the exception, rather than the rule: "Anecdotes are useless precisely because they may point to idiosyncratic responses." More generally, a statistical correlation between things does not in itself prove that one causes the other (a causal link)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

While true, it's not clear that anything else points to causality.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:28 PM)Drich Wrote:

God is proven daily to billions.. only 2.4% of the population says there is no proof. It is more accurate to say god does not cater to this 2.4% who want Him to meet them on their terms.

According to Pew Research and Gallup, 10% of Americas are atheists.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1690/religion.aspx

Do you believe in God?
2017 May 3-7

Yes  87%
No  12%
No opinion 1%

https://www.pewforum.org/2018/04/25/when...they-mean/

Of this group, about half (10% of U.S. adults) say they do not believe in a higher power or spiritual force of any kind.

You should understand, there is a difference between those who self identify as atheists and those who admit they do not believe in God.
In the beginning was the misteak.
Book of Erors 1:1

why faith fails
Anyone who has "daily proof" of anything, has no need of faith.
Things one has proof of, are not the objects of faith.
These people say they are saved by faith. Apparently they're out of luck.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:35 PM)Drich Wrote: [quote="Drich" pid='178338' dateline='1579196145'] I was told my reasoning was circular. That was the charge. I want proof of it. I want a cut and paste or a link or something that demonstrates what i have been accused of.

Every time you reference the Bible as evidence, this is curcular. The bible is a book of claims.  It claims a god exists, it is not evidence a god exists.  Every time you quote the bible you're using circular reasoning.  Every video you post that has a link to a bible quote is circular reasoning.

What you crazy theists need is unbiased evidence for the magical biblical events outside of the book  to prove your deity exists and there are none to be had.  Personal experience is not evidence.   Personal experience is the LEAST reliable of all because it's confirmation bias.  Funny that people have personal experiences only with the very deities they were brought up to believe in.  

In 1917 in Fatima Portugal 40 thousand people  claimed they saw the sun dance in the sky.  Here they are looking at the sky in a photo.....

[Image: jWufZ3Mpni69BPSVLYPABR.jpg]

Previously the crowd had been warned that something miraculous and spectacular was going to take place that day and the anticipation was tremendous.  Wouldn't you know it, suprise-suprise, the sun started to dance in the sky and thousands of people saw it.  Oh, it couldn't possibly be renal flash burn from looking at the sun too long...no it couldn't possibley be that. It couldn't be mass hysteria.  No, couldn't be that.  Dodgy  Yeah sure, the sun was defying all the phyics of the universe and dancing around in the sky.  You couldn't convince these people otherwise because they saw it happen.  

Oddly enough, in the next county over, twenty miles away,  no one noticed anything unusual happening to the sun.  In Lisbon Protugal, about 55 miles away no one noticed the sun dancing.  1917 was modern enough to have astronomical equipment  around the world keeping track of unusual anomalies and none showed anything untoward.  

If the sun had danced around in the sky the earth would have been flung out of it's orbit but tell this to the dolts that believed they saw the sun do the hoochie-coo.  

You personal experience is no different. It's a bunch of confirmation biased crap.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Astreja, isbelldl, Gwaithmir, LastPoet

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:20 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:27 AM)Chimp3 Wrote: How faith fails is a better question.

the how faith fails is the answer to why it fails. meaning that explanation is what the video is about.

I disagree. Your "Why" includes Jesus. Your video does not answer "How". "How" includes the fact that the Bible is bullshit and Jesus turned up a worm farm long ago (if he ever existed at all).
"The self must have a healthy relationship to itself if it is going to relate well with others. An identity that is either missing or weak prohibits any kind of ethics. Only the force of an I authorizes the mobilization of morality." - Michel Onfray

The following 1 user Likes Chimp3's post:
  • brunumb

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:33 PM)Drich Wrote: If God sat or even sent an angel to sit with you for 20 mins answered every question you had without asking them, told you of your life past present and future and conversed with you without you saying anything out loud, would you need 'science' to tell you it was ok to believe in God?

No, but I think I would need a doctor or two to work out wtf had happened to my brain.   Panic
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • grympy

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: The proof I sought was/is offered to everyone but only on god's terms.

Another classic from "The Great Omnibus of Christian Loopholes".
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Dancefortwo

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: The proof I sought was/is offered to everyone but only on god's terms.

"Love me on my terms or I'll beat you forever." another impressively bad slogan from religion, the all-time champion abusive relationship.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • brunumb, Astreja, Gwaithmir

why faith fails
[Image: pope-benedictxvi-april-m200-faith-bullet...353145.png]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 12:59 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:33 PM)Drich Wrote: If God sat or even sent an angel to sit with you for 20 mins answered every question you had without asking them, told you of your life past present and future and conversed with you without you saying anything out loud, would you need 'science' to tell you it was ok to believe in God?

No, but I think I would need a doctor or two to work out wtf had happened to my brain.   Panic

People who  see angels or other fictitious  beings are often diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. They are  given industrial strength psychotropic drugs. 

If my head wasn't too far up my arse  I might think to ask what made ME  so fucking special? 

Kind of on topic: 

TRUE I swear:   during my on-line dating phase , I met this woman.  

As I watched her  waddling  across the road from the coffee shop, I realised she had been a bit less than candid about her physical appearance.  She had described herself (with photo)  as 'cuddly' . This women was about 5 feet nothing tall ,by about the same in circumference.  Shallow of me I know, but I find obese women physically repugnant.   ----and no, I'm no oil painting either ,something of which I have always been aware.

The lady sat down and we began chatting. A few minutes in, she told  me, with  UTTER SERIOUSNESS, that she had two pet dragons. That they were invisible to everyone else and were quite small.  AND that one was sitting on her left shoulder as we spoke.    Really had no idea how to respond to that intelligence so I made polite noises and left  and hotfooted it down the street, without looking back.  

That was my last adventure into on line dating  sites.

Just thought about that after thinking  about angels.  I don't know why.  Huh

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 03:47 AM)grympy Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 12:59 AM)brunumb Wrote:

People who  see angels or other fictitious  beings are often diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. They are  given industrial strength psychotropic drugs. 

If my head wasn't too far up my arse  I might think to ask what made ME  so fucking special? 

Kind of on topic: 

TRUE I swear:   during my on-line dating phase , I met this woman.  

As I watched her  waddling  across the road from the coffee shop, I realised she had been a bit less than candid about her physical appearance.  She had described herself (with photo)  as 'cuddly' . This women was about 5 feet nothing tall ,by about the same in circumference.  Shallow of me I know, but I find obese women physically repugnant.   ----and no, I'm no oil painting either ,something of which I have always  been aware.

The lady sat down and we began chatting. A few minutes in, she told  me, with  UTTER SERIOUSNESS, that she had two pet dragons. That they were invisible to everyone else and were quite small.  AND that one was sitting on her left shoulder as we spoke.    Really had no idea how to respond to that intelligence so I made polite noises and left  and hotfooted it down the street, without looking back.  

That was my last adventure into on line dating  sites.

Just thought about that after thinking  about angels.  I don't know why.  Huh

I had one date with avery nice woman who had an impressive doll collection.  She talked to the dolls.  OK.
They talked to her.  Not OK. Shake
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:28 PM)Drich Wrote: God is proven daily to billions. only 2.4% of the population says there is no proof. It is more accurate to say god does not cater to this 2.4% who want Him to meet them on their terms.

Not so here in Australia, where the 2016 federal census reported nearly 30.1% of Australians
defined themselves as atheists. A further 9.6% either did not state a religion, or gave a response
that was unclear, meaning that 39.7% of Australians did not expressly state a religious affiliation.
https://web.archive.org/web/201707100209...Summary~25

Your 2.4% needs a citation if it's to be believed.     Dodgy
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Chas, brunumb, grympy

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:05 PM)Drich Wrote: If god showed up in your room right now and demonstrated who he was. You would still claim to not believe?

Fuck me drunk!  These have to be the most ludicrous comments I've seen from Drich thus far.

"IF" god showed up?  Obviously you have no idea of the import of that one word mate.
And it's noted that you didn't say "when" he shows up.  Very telling.

And the phrase "scientific overlords" really had me laughing—seriously!  It's also so funny to
hear a religionist use the phrase "group think" as a negative, when they themselves are all totally
controlled by group think, IE: the common dogma of their religion and the priest who enforces
that dogma each and every day.  Religionists are told what to do and what not to do, what to say
and what to believe, what are truths and what are falsehoods, those to condemn and those to
support.  And those religionists who dare question the divine dogma or act against any element
of it will likely be ostracised from the group, or even sent to an eternal hell.

It's the independent thinking and investigation by scientists over centuries that've given us the
lives we enjoy now—which has absolutely nothing to do with any ancient holy book.  There is not
one single scientific discovery or invention, or contrivance or resource mentioned in the bible that
has any application in the 21st century.  As far as the advancement of the human race was, or is
concerned, the bible rates a big fat zero.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • brunumb, Deesse23, Dancefortwo, isbelldl

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 05:40 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 05:01 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 04:27 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Well, IS "christianity" actually spelled out in the bible?   Can you give a reference?

yes. When Ask Jesus himself gave two laws.
Love God with all you are. love your neighbor as yourself.

He literally says in following these two laws everything God wants from you is completed.

luke 10

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

And what part said "christianity" and I mean the phrase you stated was in the bible?
don't be obstinate. the term christian was not coined till 30 years after this point. 
The purpose or ultimate goal of christianity is what? to inherit eternal life.
This passage starts out with a teacher of the law asking what he must do to earn this.
Jesus Christ gave a 2 part answer.

once the church was formalized and the teaching of Christ became solidified into 'christianity' this two rule set remains. known as the golden rule.

why? because as he said all of the laws of God can be completed by following these two rules.

why faith fails
More like 130 years, Dripshit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

why faith fails
(01-17-2020, 05:46 PM)Drich Wrote: The purpose or ultimate goal of christianity is what? to inherit eternal life.
This passage starts out with a teacher of the law asking what he must do to earn this.
Jesus Christ gave a 2 part answer.

once the church was formalized and the teaching of Christ became solidified into 'christianity' this two rule set remains. known as the golden rule.

why? because as he said all of the laws of God can be completed by following these two rules.

Wrong again, obstinate one. 
Too bad you never read your Babble. 

One does not need Christianity according to Jesus : Matthew 19:16 "Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments."

So, according to Jesus, not only is he NOT the "good" one, and not an expert on the subject, but one does not need ANYTHING except to keep the commandments.

Stop your preaching career ...  now ... you're horseshit at it. Stop spamming this site. 

Quote:If god showed up in your room right now and demonstrated who he was. You would still claim to not believe?

What a stupid thing to say. If a god showed up, belief would not be necessary. 

[quote]

You have NOT ONE SHRED (oh presumptuous judgmental insulting non-Christian fool) that anyone here come by their opinions by "groupthink" ofr that there is such a thing as scientific overloads, or that if there were, anyone listened to whatever they are. 

You lie often enough to be on Trump's team. Maybe you could get a good job with them, fixing their refrigerators.