Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists create first ‘living robots’ in major breakthrough

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...82251.html

Quote:Scientists have created what they claim are the first ”living robots“: entirely new life-forms created out of living cells.

A team of researchers have taken cells from frog embryos and turned them into a machine that can be programmed to work as they wish.
It is the first time that humanity has been able to create “completely biological machines from the ground up”, the team behind the discovery write in a new paper.

That could allow them to dispatch the tiny “xenobots” to transport medicine around a patient’s body or clean up pollution from the oceans, for instance. They can also heal themselves if they are damaged, the scientists say.

Huh? Wasn't expecting these so soon. Also, couldn't these potentially lead to a form of immortality? Also grey goo, obviously. But they can't replicate yet, so...
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, brewerb, brunumb, Jenny

(01-14-2020, 11:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...82251.html

Quote:Scientists have created what they claim are the first ”living robots“: entirely new life-forms created out of living cells.

A team of researchers have taken cells from frog embryos and turned them into a machine that can be programmed to work as they wish.
It is the first time that humanity has been able to create “completely biological machines from the ground up”, the team behind the discovery write in a new paper.

That could allow them to dispatch the tiny “xenobots” to transport medicine around a patient’s body or clean up pollution from the oceans, for instance. They can also heal themselves if they are damaged, the scientists say.

Huh? Wasn't expecting these so soon. Also, couldn't these potentially lead to a form of immortality? Also grey goo, obviously. But they can't replicate yet, so...

Fascinating, having a problem with the video.

Please excuse my scientific ignorance .

Is it technically possible, or will be,  to grow a human brain from  stem cells/ DNA?  Then to put that brain into an artificial body? ( biological,  mechanical, a combination) 

As an ignorant  skeptic,  I am of the opinion that a human clone has almost certainly already been produced. By the US, PRC or both.Thoughts? 

Governments are  never constrained by moral  principle, they just claim to be. Neither are individual scientists. They just  pass the responsibility  to the end user ,as they did with the atom bomb.    

Where does one draw the line? Are gun manufacturers morally culpable because  their guns kill people ?  After all, that's the raison detre  for guns.

I think individual scientists will  continue to be  flawed human beings, acting in their own perceived best interest.  If science can do a thing, it eventually will.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(01-15-2020, 12:28 AM)grympy Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 11:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...82251.html

Fascinating, having a problem with the video.

Please excuse my scientific ignorance .

Is it technically possible, or will be,  to grow a human brain from  stem cells/ DNA?  Then to put that brain into an artificial body? ( biological,  mechanical, a combination) 

As an ignorant  skeptic,  I am of the opinion that a human clone has almost certainly already been produced. By the US, PRC or both.Thoughts? 

Governments are  never constrained by moral  principle, they just claim to be. Neither are individual scientists. They just  pass the responsibility  to the end user ,as they did with the atom bomb.    

Where does one draw the line? Are gun manufacturers morally culpable because  their guns kill people ?  After all, that's the raison detre  for guns.

I think  individual scientists will  continue to be  flawed human beings, acting in their own perceived best interest.  If science can do a thing, it eventually will.

It's kind of a stretch from "polliwogs in my bloodstream" to firearms or nuclear weapons, don't you think?
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I'd be surprised if a successful human cloning could be kept quiet.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

Let me just say, to anybody or anything listening, that I want to personally welcome our new "Living Robot" overlords. I myself have always had good things to say about "Robots" and "Living" and "Living Robots." Out with the old (except me) and in with the new, I like to say.
The following 4 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte, brewerb, brunumb

I'm a bit skeptical.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

[Image: skepticism.jpg?fit=640%2C480]
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
The following 6 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Paleophyte, SYZ, Jenny

(01-15-2020, 12:28 AM)grympy Wrote: As an ignorant  skeptic,  I am of the opinion that a human clone has almost certainly already been produced. By the US, PRC or both.Thoughts?

Possible but unlikely. All a clone is going to get you is a really good organ donor. It's probably going to be easier to clone just the organ soon, and a lot more ethical. A clone isn't you, it's more of a test-tube twin, albeit one a few decades younger. Without some way to get everything that's in your head into the clone's head it's pretty pointless.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

(01-16-2020, 02:26 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 12:28 AM)grympy Wrote: As an ignorant  skeptic,  I am of the opinion that a human clone has almost certainly already been produced. By the US, PRC or both.Thoughts?

Possible but unlikely. All a clone is going to get you is a really good organ donor. It's probably going to be easier to clone just the organ soon, and a lot more ethical. A clone isn't you, it's more of a test-tube twin, albeit one a few decades younger. Without some way to get everything that's in your head into the clone's head it's pretty pointless.

My understanding is that the clone is made from an aged animal, and that the telomeres are shorter than a newborn's; and that the clone lives a shorter lifetime because of that. Perhaps that limitation has been overcome?

Do they have souls ?
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(01-16-2020, 04:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Do they have souls ?

Scientists are currently figuring out how to create artificial souls. It's quite a perplexing problem.

(01-16-2020, 04:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Scientists are currently figuring out how to create artificial souls. It's quite a perplexing problem.

Yes.  Instead of producing a mixture of R- and S- enantiomers, for some reason they get mostly R-souls which are hard to deal with.   Big Grin
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Meh, the religious created drones eons ago.

(01-16-2020, 06:43 AM)no one Wrote: Meh, the religious created drones eons ago.

Put my current self into a functioning robot that will last a 1,000 years and I will be VERY happy. I don't get bored easily. I would prefer ME at 30, but would take me now.
A friend in need is a pain in the ass. If you are lucky, when he comes around you won't be home!

(01-16-2020, 08:31 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 06:43 AM)no one Wrote: Meh, the religious created drones eons ago.

Put my current self into a functioning robot that will last a 1,000 years and I will be VERY happy.  I don't get bored easily.  I would prefer ME at 30, but would take me now.

In a scifi story I read, (forget the name)   There was a planet to which  humanoids could take mortally injured comrades.  They could put their friends inside of these plants . The plant would keep the person alive for 3 years, as the person was slowly digested.  The trade off was the person got 1000 years subjective of blissful life.

(01-16-2020, 04:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Scientists are currently figuring out how to create artificial souls. It's quite a perplexing problem.

All they've been able to create are old souls and they just complain that "it's too cold" when the window's open and then "it's too stuffy" when the window's closed and "why isn't this croissant flaky you know I like the ones that are flaky I don't understand why I can't have the ones that are flaky" so frankly it's not worth it and I wish I hadn't bothered.

(01-16-2020, 04:59 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

I get they have little to go on.  Tongue

In other robot news, my cousins are entering one of their engineering class projects in Minnesota tomorrow. 
A robot snow plow. There should be videos tomorrow. 
http://www.autosnowplow.com/2020_Event_and_Results.html