Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Chromebooks run linux natively, android

I got a new Chromebook for surfing and general use, mostly because it had a built-in microphone for voice to text. I've got about another month of arm in the sling.
Check out this article explains some of the new features. You have access to all the Android apps plus all the Linux Library. It runs both operating systems at the same time, so you can use open source Linux apps from within the Chromebook operating system. 
https://www.zdnet.com/article/all-chrome...g-forward/

I've had mine for a year.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Have you played around with linux?

(01-12-2020, 07:57 PM)skyking Wrote: Have you played around with linux?

Nope. I haven't "popped the hood" on a computer in a couple of decades.

I've built Linux servers for many years probably the 20 years you just mentioned LOL. I'm really comfortable with command line interface just typing out what I need, it's ironic that I got my Chromebook found out that it did Linux easily, and my arm is in a sling Smile

(01-12-2020, 08:13 PM)skyking Wrote: I've built Linux servers for many years probably the 20 years you just mentioned LOL. I'm really comfortable with command line interface just typing out what I need it's ironic that I got my Chromebook found out that it did Linux easily, and my arm is in a sling Smile

Funny story. I had a dual floppy 8086 with a CGA monitor and no harddrive when I started Computer Technology at Purdue. I realized I needed a more robust machine so I sold the 8086, with monitor and cart, to a professor (for his son) for $1,000. The kid was so taken with the computer that he switched majors from MBA to Computer Science and became a Linux distributor.