Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep using Windows 7 with security updates
Information 
As of writing this we're 3 days away from the official end of life for Windows 7. You can keep using it, and receive security updates. You can also still "upgrade" to Windows 10 for free.

Windows 7 Installation guide

As it happens I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on a rebuilt system today. This guide will work for any edition - including Upgrade editions. Before we begin you will need to register accounts on the My Digital Life and Seven Forums (/Ten Forums). Do not trust any 3rd party tools or downloads not endorsed by one of those forums - and do not get download links from elsewhere. I suggest using VirusTotal to ensure any 3rd party downloads are safe. Here are the steps:

Installation media

Make sure you have SP1 installation media. My copy has the original pre-SP1 discs - if that's what you have download the SP1 version here (or directly from Microsoft). If you're burning to DVD-R just use ImgBurn, otherwise if you're using a USB use Microsoft's tool (you'll be able to select the ISO file you downloaded). If you have an upgrade edition don't enter your product key during install, see below.

Install and disable Windows update.

Activation

OEM versions. If you have a branded system like Lenovo, Dell, etc and you don't want to use the sticker product key you can backup and restore the OEM information, there are a number of tools to help with this (completely offline pre-activation), so I'm not going to bother explaining the process.

Product Key. If you open the System dialogue you can click "Activate Windows". Enter your product key, if it's an OEM version it's highly likely you'll have to use phone activation, otherwise activation should be automatic.

Upgrade editions. If you have an upgrade version of Windows 7 and installed completely fresh, you probably have this error (0xC004F061):

[Image: JPmFStg.png]

Don't worry about previous installation media or keys, we can activate the system in two steps. (1.) Open a command window with administrator privileges (winkey+R "cmd"). Enter these commands:

Code:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE /V MediaBootInstall /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F

slmgr /rearm

Restart the system. (2.) Open up a command window with administrator privileges, and enter this command:

slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Where xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx is your upgrade product key, obviously. Open up the System dialogue and click Activate Windows if present - if online activation fails use telephone activation.

Existing Installations: Update Windows

As I mentioned earlier, it's now advisable to keep Windows Update permanently disabled. On the other hand you absolutely need updates. Start with this package (whether it's a fresh installation or an old installation). Ideally you should re-download every month to install new updates. You will also need the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. After that you can install an AntiVirus program of your choice.

Bypass Windows 7 ESU

You need to bypass Windows 7 ESU to ensure you can continue installing security updates. The app for that is here. That on its own won't get you any ESU updates, you'll have to check that forum thread to see how to get them in the future.
The following 1 user Likes Aractus's post:
  • SYZ

I still have Windows 7. I bought it even though Windows 8 had come out and then stopped it continually pestering me to upgrade to Windows 10.

Not that I ever use Windows except to play games and I am not doing that any more either as it takes up too much time. I spend all my time in Linux. I have since bought a new computer but that churns away in the background processing my experiments for months on end so it would be better for me to start using that PC instead.

I've had a spare 1GB SSD sitting on my desk for over a year now that I haven't made use of.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Aractus, skyking

(01-11-2020, 10:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote: I still have Windows 7. I bought it even though Windows 8 had come out and then stopped it continually pestering me to upgrade to Windows 10.

The point of this thread is to provide trusted information as to how to keep using Windows 7. It will still reach EOL in a few years, but you can keep using it for at least the next 3 years.

(01-11-2020, 10:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote: I've had a spare 1GB SSD sitting on my desk for over a year now  that I haven't made use of.

What are you going to use a 1GB drive for? Some kind of embedded system?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

I've used Win1010 from the get-go without issues.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Minimalist, Dom

I held out for 2 years and then switched to 10.  Totally seamless and very stable.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I feel like I'd be having to do so much just to revert back to Windows 7. As it is, Windows 10 behaves for me.

Starting with 3.1 every release of Windows has had people refusing to update.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom

(01-11-2020, 01:44 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 10:09 AM)Mathilda Wrote: I've had a spare 1GB SSD sitting on my desk for over a year now  that I haven't made use of.

What are you going to use a 1GB drive for? Some kind of embedded system?

Sorry, meant to say 1TB.

still on 7 too, plus a brand new chromebook. I keep an old laptop around with a real serial port and XP for some legacy console apps for phone systems.

(01-11-2020, 02:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I held out for 2 years and then switched to 10.  Totally seamless and very stable.

Again the point of this thread is provide trusted information to keep using Windows 7, for those that are using it. The major issue is Microsoft's Extended Security Updates will not be automatically made available (in fact not made available at all - you can't purchase the Extended Security even if you want to), you have to bypass the ESU eligibility check as mentioned in the OP. I decided to throw in the installation guide to show how you can install all windows updates without needing to run Windows Update.

I'm not going to mirror the files, MDF is a trusted source and that's where to get the files you need to keep Windows 7 updated.

Great thread idea, thank you for posting.

(01-11-2020, 07:21 PM)skyking Wrote: Great thread idea, thank you for posting.

I've been intending to post it! It really is as simply as I've mentioned in the OP to fully update Windows 7 with all security updates as I've mentioned in just two steps (1.) install SP1, (2.) use the Simplix update pack. That's it. The update pack doesn't include the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable which you will certainly need to install as well.

Most importantly of all, don't trust any source for 3rd party tools not endorsed by MDF or 7/10 Forums. Not even Github.

I've just been skipping doing the updates on my Windows 7 install. I don't intend to do a clean install but I will patch it up using your links.
Currently I'm doing all my web work on my Chromebook with voice to text. I'll get my arm out of the sling in 2 and 1/2 Weeks, then I'll go after my win 7 machine.

Still on 7; we have 10 at work and it's absolutely agonizing. Recently resurrected an old Dell laptop and slapped the latest OpenSuSE Linux on it. Time to seriously look at migrating at home.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Sorry behind the 8-ball on this. A couple of weeks ago a critical security flaw was found in atmfd.dll, a font rendering library, that allows remote code execution. To patch your system follow these guidelines. Personally I recommend both the registry fix and deleting/renaming the .dll file itself (that is what I have done).

Bypass Windows 7 ESU Eligibility - Update

So now that we're in May, almost June, I thought I would provide an update. We've now had the opportunity to test with actual ESU updates. The bypass tool BypassESU works flawlessly. It is available on the MDL forums (forum registration is required to view the thread, for a preview see screenshot below).

Show ContentSpoiler:

Legality/paying for ESU

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother on the legality of using this tool, however Microsoft has muddied the waters by changing the ESU program eligibility from what they originally claimed. This in effect means that end users including small businesses can purchase an ESU license and use it on either Win 7 Pro or Ultimate systems, if you can find a vendor to sell individual licenses or a small number of them that is. One such vendor that will sell individual licenses is Harbor Computer Services. That said, the tool is probably not illegal in most places regardless of how you are using it, but obviously use your own discretion.

BypassESU

The tool contains three components. The ESU Suppressor is the component you need to enable you to install ESU updates. Once you install ESU updates you must not uninstall the suppressor (don't worry the installation tool won't let you select that option once ESU updates are installed on your system). You may need to update this component in the future if Microsoft decides to lock out the method they're presently using to bypass the ESU eligibility lock. The second component (optional) is the WU ESU Patcher. As you might expect this enables you to get and install updates directly through Windows Update. The third component is the .NET 4 ESU Bypass, it is presently buggy and there is a manual workaround you can use if the component causes problems.

[Image: yADDuRk.png]

[Image: XKAq42y.png]

[Image: Rrpt4Ny.png]