Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do bad things happen to 'good people'

(01-31-2020, 06:53 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: How would you like it if the Muslims took over the US government and told you Christians to either assimilate to the Islam religion or move to a reservation.    This isn't a choice, it's a threat.

Most christers would relish that. They're so used to having an abusive spouse as a gawd that it would just be a confirmation of their beliefs. It would also be a verification of their persecution delusions.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(02-04-2020, 09:11 PM)Drich Wrote: moving on to the next thread

LOL. You wish. 
First, please tell us what "the indigiousness population" means.
Are you also a stable genius ?
Test

(02-06-2020, 05:31 PM)Drich Wrote: Your statement "no one cares" is proof people like you do not seek proof of God, that you claim to seek. that you are not atheist, but a misotheist...

And this type of response proves that you have no real idea of what atheism is all about. I'm an ignostic atheist,
and I have no desire to either seek "proof" of any gods' existence, or disprove their existence. Why would I seek
proof of God's existence? That'd be like trying to prove that the historical unicorn existed—another total waste of
time.

And I'm certainly not a misotheist. How can one despise something that doesn't exist? That's just as mindless as
one who gullibly reveres it LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Unsapien, Gwaithmir

(01-03-2020, 10:07 PM)Alan V Wrote: "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

The simple answer: there is no God to make it otherwise.  The universe isn't fair and is often random instead.  People can only ameliorate that with our efforts to a certain extent.

So that question isn't a problem for atheists like it is for theists.

This is only a problem for theists if they don't understand what the Bible teaches about this subject.  I have recently written a post in my blog that answers the question:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2020/0...od-person/
I do not suffer from insanity.  I enjoy every minute of it.

(02-10-2020, 01:40 PM)theophilus Wrote: This is only a problem for theists if they don't understand what the Bible teaches about this subject. 
What about those who prefer to read and make the Quran say what they want it to say? Huh
R.I.P. Hannes

(02-10-2020, 01:40 PM)theophilus Wrote:

The simple answer: there is no God to make it otherwise.  The universe isn't fair and is often random instead.  People can only ameliorate that with our efforts to a certain extent.

This is only a problem for theists if they don't understand what the Bible teaches about this subject.  I have recently written a post in my blog that answers the question:

Could you give us the nutshell version? I'm not going to read a blog without knowing its relevance.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(02-10-2020, 01:40 PM)theophilus Wrote: ...I have recently written a post in my blog that answers the question:

A couple of points from your blog:

You say that "We know that God is just and yet we see good people undergoing bad experiences".

—How do you, personally, "know" that your god is just?  How can you know anything  about your god?

You also say that "If you reject God’s offer of forgiveness you might experience some good while in this life
but after you leave this world you have nothing to look forward to expect an eternity in the lake of fire
where you will never know any more good."

—What do you mean by "eternity"?    What is a "lake of fire"?

(02-10-2020, 02:01 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 01:40 PM)theophilus Wrote: This is only a problem for theists if they don't understand what the Bible teaches about this subject. 
What about those who prefer to read and make the Quran say what they want it to say?  Huh

Or those who prefer the Hindu holy book, The Vedas.  It's amazing that, so far as we know, all the holy books were written by men and reflect a paternalistic society.  They mirror the morals of the times they were written.  Women are either minor gods or helpers or baby makers.  It's interesting that none of these gods in the different holy books seem to know much about peoples outside of the area where the book was written.  None of these gods seem to know anything about South America.   It's almost as though the biblical god, the Hindu god and Allah didn't know South America existed.   Gee, I wonder why.  I......I just can't imagine why.  It's a real head scratcher.  Thinking
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu

(02-10-2020, 04:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 01:40 PM)theophilus Wrote: ...I have recently written a post in my blog that answers the question:

You say that "We know that God is just and yet we see good people undergoing bad experiences".

—How do you, personally, "know" that your god is just?  How can you know anything  about your god?

You also say that "If you reject God’s offer of forgiveness you might experience some good while in this life
but after you leave this world you have nothing to look forward to expect an eternity in the lake of fire

What I know about God comes from the Bible.  

"Eternity" refers to a period of time that never ends.  God is eternal meaning that he has no end and no beginning.  We all have a beginning but our existence will never end.

The lake of fire is described here:  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=ESV
The following 1 user Likes theophilus's post:
  • SYZ

(02-12-2020, 01:41 PM)theophilus Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 04:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:

What I know about God comes from the Bible.  

"Eternity" refers to a period of time that never ends.  God is eternal meaning that he has no end and no beginning.  We all have a beginning but our existence will never end.

The lake of fire is described here:  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=ESV

[Image: 3oyrwz.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Theo clearly spells out his problem on his blog.  "Things I have learned studying the bible....."

Fine.  Now throw the fucking bible away and read some books that will actually provide you with facts instead of delusional bullshit.

Another alleged adult with an invisible friend!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Your blog answers nothing. Nothing at all. It's the typical Christian tripe.
Posting Babble quotes does not help you. It's nothing but a circular argument.
One cannot posit that a human with a human nature is also a god and has a divine nature.
They are fundamentally incompatible. It's like saying "black is white". It's a contradiction.
In Hebrew culture, a "son of god" simply meant "a righteous person", it did not mean what ignorant Christians turned it into.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(02-12-2020, 01:41 PM)theophilus Wrote: What I know about God comes from the Bible.  

Jews believed that ALL shades went to Sheol ... the good and the bad.
Apparently you learned very little from the Bible.
When you get around to studying theology you will find that "eternity" is NOT "a period of time", but it's total absence. Timelessness.
We die when our bodies and brains die. What makes you *you* is your brain. You little fairy story is nice, but they made it up.
Test

(02-12-2020, 04:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: When you get around to studying theology you will find that "eternity" is NOT "a period of time", but it's total absence. Timelessness.

Both senses seem to reflect current usage.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • theophilus

(02-12-2020, 04:19 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Theo clearly spells out his problem on his blog.  "Things I have learned studying the bible....."

Yep... talking about learning and the bible in one sentence has to be oxymoronic.

Or maybe just moronic?      Tongue

(02-12-2020, 04:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Jews believed that ALL shades went to Sheol ... the good and the bad.
When you get around to studying theology you will find that "eternity" is NOT "a period of time", but it's total absence. Timelessness.
We die when our bodies and brains die. What makes you *you* is your brain. You little fairy story is nice, but they made it up.

The Jews were correct in their belief.  Before Jesus died on the cross all who died did go to Sheol.  Explaining this would take a long time so I will simply provide a link to a post in my blog:  https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2011/1...ual-event/

Timelessness is as good as any other description of eternity.

If you continue to believe what you do now you are in for a very unpleasant surprise when you die.  Your body and brain will decay but your soul will continue to exist.

(02-13-2020, 01:26 PM)theophilus Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 04:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Jews believed that ALL shades went to Sheol ... the good and the bad.

The Jews were correct in their belief.  Before Jesus died on the cross all who died did go to Sheol.  Explaining this would take a long time so I will simply provide a link to a post in my blog:  https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2011/1...ual-event/

If you continue to believe what you do now you are in for a very unpleasant surprise when you die.  Your body and brain will decay but your soul will continue to exist.

See, here's the problem.  I don't give two shits what the bible says.  It's embellished storytelling and wishful thinking nonsense from page one to whatever the last page number is and it certainly isn't evidence a soul exists.
                                                         T4618

(02-12-2020, 04:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

Your blog answers nothing. Nothing at all. It's the typical Christian tripe.
Posting Babble quotes does not help you. It's nothing but a circular argument.
One cannot posit that a human with a human nature is also a god and has a divine nature.
They are fundamentally incompatible. It's like saying "black is white". It's a contradiction.
In Hebrew culture, a "son of god" simply meant "a righteous person", it did not mean what ignorant Christians turned it into.

it's funny how your argument is always the same no matter who you are responding to. kinda one size fit all huh?

(02-13-2020, 02:59 PM)Drich Wrote: It's funny how your argument is always the same no matter who you are responding to. kinda one size fit all huh?

[Image: 88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png]
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Gwaithmir, brunumb

(02-13-2020, 01:26 PM)theophilus Wrote:

If the tenets of Christianity are so true and so believable, why must they always be backed up by violent threats?
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(02-14-2020, 02:28 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: If the tenets of Christianity are so true and so believable, why must they always be backed up by violent threats?

All religions are based around "manufactured" fears. They're what keep the flock in line.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(02-14-2020, 02:28 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: If the tenets of Christianity are so true and so believable, why must they always be backed up by violent threats?

Because most people reject the truth and won't respond to anything else.

(02-15-2020, 01:24 PM)theophilus Wrote: Because most people reject the truth and won't respond to anything else.

Religious truth tends to be purely subjective in nature due to the personal experience that the theist claims in absence of the empirical evidence needed to convince others of the supposed truth.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo