Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do bad things happen to 'good people'

youtube.com/watch?v=6DZnBbo7R7I&t=131s

This subject came up like 10 times and thought this would help

Dunning-Krueger :
"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, Gwaithmir, Aegon

(01-03-2020, 09:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Dunning-Krueger :
"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

I guess you are alluding to Drich (?)    Not my first thought. That was Donald Trump.    Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Dom, Bucky Ball

"Why do bad things happen to good people?"

The simple answer: there is no God to make it otherwise. The universe isn't fair and is often random instead. People can only ameliorate that with our efforts to a certain extent.

So that question isn't a problem for atheists like it is for theists.

Because, deep down, we're all assholes. What we get we deserve. OK, that takes care of the Original Sin portion.  Facepalm

The reason is because the universe at our level of granularity is quite random, notwithstanding large gravitational phenomena and the like.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Alan V

The better question would be, why do perfect assholes prosper? So called businessmen, literally walking over corpses to achieve their goals.

The answer is simple. Because the world is human by design and not divine. Those, who don't care how others fare, tend to be more successful than so called good people.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Fireball

How about "Why do things happen?". No god or philosophy needed.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Drippy can't take a dump without thinking his silly god is involved.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Chimp3

I like being the bad thing that happens to good people. Sadly, I don't know any good people. I just know people people.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

As was the perfect answer provided in Harold Kushner's famous book of the same title : it's not about individuals.
Reality is what it is. Would you want the laws of the universe randomly applied ? No.
It's a good thing to be able to rely on gravity. Would you want gravity randomly suspended at various times ? No.
When a child falls from a tree and gets a brain injury, gravity is operational and even then, one would not the laws of the universe randomly suspended for capricious random instances. One could then no longer count on them.

The universe works the way it does. The sun shines on the just and unjust, just as we want it to.
Evolution has taught us, it's not about individuals. The universe doesn't care about individuals.

As you can see, ... having been confronted with all sorts of uncomfortable facts and questions, ... this religionist tried to cook up an answer.
Why do people get shot in church ? Because the physics involved are not suspended ... ever. And there are no gods that ever intervene in the universe. He has no proof or evidence they do, and he has nothing to demonstrate the authoority of his book that claims they do.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball

Life happens. Life is cold, cruel, and unforgiving.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Fireball, Gwaithmir

Shit happens. Life is fun anyway!
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

(01-03-2020, 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: The universe works the way it does. The sun shines on the just and unjust, just as we want it to.

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.

― Charles Bowen 

Big Grin
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 9 users Like Chas's post:
  • skyking, Bucky Ball, Dancefortwo, Dom, Dānu, Chimp3, Fireball, brunumb, Paleophyte

[Image: robertgreeningersoll1-2x.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 6 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, skyking, Paleophyte, Chas, Gwaithmir, Aegon

(01-03-2020, 10:07 PM)Alan V Wrote: "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

The simple answer: there is no God to make it otherwise.  The universe isn't fair and is often random instead.  People can only ameliorate that with our efforts to a certain extent.

Another version of that question is "Why me?"

The only satisfactory answer I've ever found is "Why not me? (or you?)"

I have no idea  if or how much the universe is random . I accept that the universe just 'is' and not sentient as far as  I can tell.

It is the child, naive adolescent and theist who stamps their little foot and declares  "It's not FAIR!!!!" No, it ain't and I can think of no reason it should be fair. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • brunumb, Alan V

(01-03-2020, 10:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: As was the perfect answer provided in Harold Kushner's famous book of the same title : it's not about individuals.
Reality is what it is. Would you want the laws of the universe randomly applied ? No.
It's a good thing to be able to rely on gravity. Would you want gravity randomly suspended at various times ? No.
When a child falls from a tree and gets a brain injury, gravity is operational and even then, one would not the laws of the universe randomly suspended for capricious random instances. One could then no longer count on them.

The universe works the way it does. The sun shines on the just and unjust, just as we want it to.
Evolution has taught us, it's not about individuals. The universe doesn't care about individuals.

As you can see, ... having been confronted with all sorts of uncomfortable facts and questions, ... this religionist tried to cook up an answer.
Why do people get shot in church ? Because the physics involved are not suspended ... ever. And there are no gods that ever intervene in the universe. He has no proof or evidence they do, and he has nothing to demonstrate the authority of his book that claims they do.

Rabbi Kushner's theodicy involved throwing omnipotence under the bus. In other words, "god cares, he really does, but his hands are tied". In part because of what you pointed out, but really IF god were omnipotent he could intervene without any unwanted side effects. And then there's the problem that the Bible is chock full of elaborate, specific promises of healing, protection, victory over enemies and so forth, there for the asking. So if god is really just a uselessly sympathetic actor, he should have admitted it and set expectations accordingly.

But the Bible is human authored and they were interested in attracting marks with false promises. No one is going to give up most forms of sex, a tenth of their income, and subscribe to a restrictive diet and a bunch of ridiculous rules and rituals in exchange for abstract sympathy. They want something to make it worth their while. Hence "the promises of god".
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Alan V, Chas

(01-04-2020, 12:59 AM)grympy Wrote:

The simple answer: there is no God to make it otherwise.  The universe isn't fair and is often random instead.  People can only ameliorate that with our efforts to a certain extent.

I have no idea  if or how much the universe is random . I accept that the universe just 'is' and not sentient as far as  I can tell.

It is the child, naive adolescent and theist who stamps their little foot and declares  "It's not FAIR!!!!" No, it ain't and I can think of no reason it should be fair. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The "why me" question is a product of the notion that if you are a good boy or girl god will reward you with a positive experience in life; therefore, if you have a negative experience, you did something wrong. God has singled you out for punishment. So your spouse or child died or worse, or your marriage ended, or whatever. Such things aren't supposed to happen to "good" people. I literally heard believers claiming that "real Christians don't have problems". With a straight face. Talking to clearly devout people undergoing terrible suffering and loss. It was one of the reasons I couldn't rationalize my faith anymore. It motivated people to such straight-up cruelty with zero self-awareness (or, at least, total denial) that they were doing it.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Alan V, grympy, Drich

(01-03-2020, 09:13 PM)Drich Wrote: youtube.com/watch?v=6DZnBbo7R7I&t=131s

Shake  Oh My Zeus D Rich!  Your video clip is pathetic.  Monotonously reading from a whiteboard with barely legible writing, or from notes written on yellow lined paper filmed sideways is about as amateurish as it gets.

Check it out folks.   Thumbsdown

No gods necessary
The following 2 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Drich

Bad things happen to good people.
Good things happen to bad people.
Bad things happen to bad people.
Good things happen to good people.

Because ........ things happen!

No gods necessary.
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Alan V, Fireball

(01-04-2020, 01:15 AM)mordant Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:59 AM)grympy Wrote:

The "why me" question is a product of the notion that if you are a good boy or girl god will reward you with a positive experience in life; therefore, if you have a negative experience, you did something wrong. God has singled you out for punishment. So your spouse or child died or worse, or your marriage ended, or whatever. Such things aren't supposed to happen to "good" people. I literally heard believers claiming that "real Christians don't have problems". With a straight face. Talking to clearly devout people undergoing terrible suffering and loss. It was one of the reasons I couldn't rationalize my faith anymore. It motivated people to such straight-up cruelty with zero self-awareness (or, at least, total denial) that they were doing it.

So I guess the 227,898 people who were swept away and killed in the 2004 southeast Asia tsunami were bad, bad people, according to some Christians.  I suppose this includes the dead, drowned children.  And for a bigger effect it happened on Dec. 26, the day after Christmas. This horrible tsunami was a visible comment that if there is a god he/she/it doesn't give two pieces of shit about people.   Add to this the over 800,000 people, mostly children, who die from Molaria every year.

T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Astreja, mordant, Drich

(01-04-2020, 02:34 AM)brunumb Wrote:

Shake  Oh My Zeus D Rich!  Your video clip is pathetic.  Monotonously reading from a whiteboard with barely legible writing, or from notes written on yellow lined paper filmed sideways is about as amateurish as it gets.

Check it out folks.   Thumbsdown

Really ? More post-it notes ? 
And Jebus sent him to write mis-spelled words on post-it notes. 
LMAO
The refrigerator repair guy is gonna have to step it up.
Test

The same reason that good things happen to bad people, because there is no divine law anywhere in effect.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I managed about 2 minutes before I gave up. 'God beats you because he loves you.' is a pretty horrible theodicy and tells me just about everything that I need to know about the believer.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Deesse23, Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

(01-04-2020, 03:35 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I managed about 2 minutes before I gave up. 'God beats you because he loves you.' is a pretty horrible theodicy and tells me just about everything that I need to know about the believer.

Christianity is the Stockholm Syndrome, Masochism and the Battered Spouse Syndrome rolled into one.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Phaedrus, Paleophyte, Gwaithmir

(01-04-2020, 02:34 AM)brunumb Wrote:

[Image: 1308189768001.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Drich