Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In highly biased dog news today...

(01-01-2020, 08:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 05:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Trumpolini doesn't like dogs and he's nuts.

Just saying......

I trust no person who doesn't like dogs sorry just sayin Big Grin

What dog would have him? The eagle had the right idea. Rofl2

The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • adey67, Dancefortwo, skyking

(01-01-2020, 05:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Trumpolini doesn't like dogs and he's nuts.

Just saying......

And on the flipside, it's hard for me to trust anyone my dog doesn't like. They tell the truth about people.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, grympy, skyking

I'm iffy about drug sniffing dogs. I mean that was purely oregano...
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

(01-01-2020, 06:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: It is, though many psychological disorders are much more apparent with a functional MRI.

As your study shows though there's pretty clearly environmental factors at play. If it was solely genetic then those twins should have nearly identical brains. One of the key triggers appears to be hormonal. Men typically begin exhibiting symptoms during puberty, whereas women more commonly start during pregnancy.

I'll need to see some documentation for the pregnancy statement.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5688947/

As to the twin scan image differences, we don't know if those were identical twins (at least I couldn't tell from the paste) and there is no indication of how long the schizophrenia had been present. The longer a patient has been diagnosed/symptomatic the greater the anatomical brain changes (typically destruction) will be.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(01-01-2020, 11:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:

Just saying......

If you want to listen to what the birds think of it , here is what they say about Sanders:

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • skyking, Thumpalumpacus

(01-02-2020, 03:26 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 06:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: It is, though many psychological disorders are much more apparent with a functional MRI.

As your study shows though there's pretty clearly environmental factors at play. If it was solely genetic then those twins should have nearly identical brains. One of the key triggers appears to be hormonal. Men typically begin exhibiting symptoms during puberty, whereas women more commonly start during pregnancy.

I'll need to see some documentation for the pregnancy statement.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5688947/

As to the twin scan image differences, we don't know if those were identical twins (at least I couldn't tell from the paste) and there is no indication of how long the schizophrenia had been present. The longer a patient has been diagnosed/symptomatic the greater the anatomical brain changes (typically destruction) will be.

Yes, the brain is slowly destroyed without medication.  One of the biggest problems with schizophrenia is that after taking medication for a while and finally stablizing the condition the person thinks they're fine and don't need medication anymore.  This is part of the schizophrenic mind.  So they stop taking the medication, spiral out of control, end up in a hospital and start the whole process over again.  Or they go off the deep end, run out in the street and the police shot and kill them. There are countless mentally ill people who have been killed by the police. 

There is a once a month shot that has been tried but it's expensive and only a few anti-psychotic drugs can be administered this way. It's shot directly into the muscle and the chemical is somehow encased in oil droplets, or something like that.  This way it is slowly released throughout the month.  It's a great method but again, the person HAS to come in to get the shot once a month.  

It was many years ago that I was studying all this (when I thought my daughter was schizophrenic that one year) so hopefully a little more progress has been made. I remember corresponding with the scientist from Harvard and they were experimenting with implanting anti-psychotic medication under the skin so it would be released over a years time.  They also had good success with an implantation system in or near the brain which seemed to have less side effects but people aren't too keen on having something implanted in the brain.  It's very expensive. 

Frequently schizophrenics are extremely intelligent and have a very high IQ.  Think of the mathmatician, John Nash.  The great ballet dancer, Nijinksy had schizophrenia and had to stop dancing.   Schizophrenia has a spectrum. Some are worse than others. Some scientists have wanted to group it in with other structural brain abnormalities but it doesn't matter what they call it, it's horrible.
                                                         T4618

(01-02-2020, 09:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yes, the brain is slowly destroyed without medication.  One of the biggest problems with schizophrenia is that after taking medication for a while and finally stablizing the condition the person thinks they're fine and don't need medication anymore.  This is part of the schizophrenic mind.  So they stop taking the medication, spiral out of control, end up in a hospital and start the whole process over again.  Or they go off the deep end, run out in the street and the police shot and kill them. There are countless mentally ill people who have been killed by the police. 

There is a once a month shot that has been tried but it's expensive and only a few anti-psychotic drugs can be administered this way. It's shot directly into the muscle and the chemical is somehow encased in oil droplets, or something like that.  This way it is slowly released throughout the month.  It's a great method but again, the person HAS to come in to get the shot once a month.  

It was many years ago that I was studying all this (when I thought my daughter was schizophrenic that one year) so hopefully a little more progress has been made. I remember corresponding with the scientist from Harvard and they were experimenting with implanting anti-psychotic medication under the skin so it would be released over a years time.  They also had good success with an implantation system in or near the brain which seemed to have less side effects but people aren't too keen on having something implanted in the brain.  It's very expensive. 

Frequently schizophrenics are extremely intelligent and have a very high IQ.  Think of the mathmatician, John Nash.  The great ballet dancer, Nijinksy had schizophrenia and had to stop dancing.   Schizophrenia has a spectrum. Some are worse than others. Some scientists have wanted to group it in with other structural brain abnormalities but it doesn't matter what they call it, it's horrible.

The anatomical changes can occur even when treated.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796078/

Patients stop taking the medication for many reasons.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5344423/

Death by police is not the primary cause of mortality, natural causes and suicide are at the top.: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statisti...enia.shtml

Injectable antipsychotics and cost (not sure how current).: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK44...le/pe1.t1/

High functioning IQ in schizophrenics is the exception, not the norm. :https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...zophrenics

Not trying to be a know it all but I worked with these patients and the medications (retired now). And yes, all in all a horrific disease.

(01-03-2020, 12:26 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 09:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yes, the brain is slowly destroyed without medication.  One of the biggest problems with schizophrenia is that after taking medication for a while and finally stablizing the condition the person thinks they're fine and don't need medication anymore.  This is part of the schizophrenic mind.  So they stop taking the medication, spiral out of control, end up in a hospital and start the whole process over again.  Or they go off the deep end, run out in the street and the police shot and kill them. There are countless mentally ill people who have been killed by the police. 

The anatomical changes can occur even when treated.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796078/

Patients stop taking the medication for many reasons.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5344423/

Death by police is not the primary cause of mortality, natural causes and suicide are at the top.: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statisti...enia.shtml

Injectable antipsychotics and cost (not sure how current).: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK44...le/pe1.t1/

High functioning IQ in schizophrenics is the exception, not the norm. :https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...zophrenics

Not trying to be a know it all but I worked with these patients and the medications (retired now). And yes, all in all a horrific disease.

My daughter took Latuda for a while.  Every antipsychotic seems to have side effects.  When the new psychiatrist we went to listened to my husband and I talk about our transgender/schizophrenic  daughter we could see she was rather curious about her diagnosis.  Our daughter was diagnosed by a psychiatric nurse practitioner and, stupid me, I didn't get a second opinion.   I had zero idea what to do.  My husband and I were like a deer in headlight.   We were very fortunate to happen onto this other psychiatrist.  We went to her simply because my husband and I  needed someone to talk to.  Well, it just so happened that  she had worked many, many years with transgender people and with schizophrenics.  After a few sessions she asked us of it would be ok to bring in our daughter. A few more sessions later she really felt that what she was going through was psychotic depression. She'd seen it in many of her transgender patients.  But I gotta say, that brush with schizophrenia changed my views of mental illness for ever.  It's a horrible thing to think that the child you raised is behind the eight ball at so young an age.  My heart bleeds for other family with this problem.

I'm so proud of her now.  She's funny, hard working, energenic and happy and has a wonderful two year relationship going on.  I couldn't ask for anything better.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pour out my heart here.  Wow, I need to get back to being funny again!   Winking
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, skyking

(01-03-2020, 01:08 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: My daughter took Latuda for a while.  Every antipsychotic seems to have side effects.  When the new psychiatrist we went to listened to my husband and I talk about our transgender/schizophrenic  daughter we could see she was rather curious about her diagnosis.  Our daughter was diagnosed by a psychiatric nurse practitioner and, stupid me, I didn't get a second opinion.   I had zero idea what to do.  My husband and I were like a deer in headlight.   We were very fortunate to happen onto this other psychiatrist.  We went to her simply because my husband and I  needed someone to talk to.  Well, it just so happened that  she had worked many, many years with transgender people and with schizophrenics.  After a few sessions she asked us of it would be ok to bring in our daughter. A few more sessions later she really felt that what she was going through was psychotic depression. She'd seen it in many of her transgender patients.  But I gotta say, that brush with schizophrenia changed my views of mental illness for ever.  It's a horrible thing to think that the child you raised is behind the eight ball at so young an age.  My heart bleeds for other family with this problem.

I'm so proud of her now.  She's funny, hard working, energenic and happy and has a wonderful two year relationship going on.  I couldn't ask for anything better.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pour out my heart here.  Wow, I need to get back to being funny again!   Winking

The way you previously described her, I have no doubt she was misdiagnosed. Glad you caught it when you did and delighted that she is doing so well. 

When I get in this mode I kind of go all "just the facts ma'am". I meant no offense.

All things being equal, I'd rather stick to dick and fart jokes.
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, skyking, Thumpalumpacus

(01-01-2020, 01:12 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, I have no signs of schizophrenia and my nanny was a German Shepherd. I believe! Bowing 

Dog

Well mine was a bitch but I'm not at all sure of her breeding.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Fireball, brewerb

(01-02-2020, 11:42 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 11:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 08:29 PM)adey67 Wrote: I trust no person who doesn't like dogs sorry just sayin Big Grin

If you want to listen to what the birds think of it , here is what they say about Sanders:

Is it just   me, or does Bernie Sanders look like he's being held up by the podium?    Consider

(01-06-2020, 03:32 AM)grympy Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 11:42 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 11:14 PM)Fireball Wrote: What dog would have him? The eagle had the right idea. Rofl2

Is it just   me, or does Bernie Sanders look like he's being held up by the podium?    Consider

He's keeping his hands (which he uses all the time to talk, he's a "hand waver") quiet, so not to shoo the bird off. I would do the same, instinctively...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]