Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy 1482nd birthday!
Wink 
Happy 1482nd birthday!
I had to use my effing calculator. Angry

[Image: Hagia_Sophia_Mars_2013.jpg]
[Image: Interior_of_Hagia_Sophia.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Phaedrus

Happy 1482nd birthday!
An unforgettable experience actually visiting the place. Old buildings always fill me with awe and respect for the builders.

Fun fact, it even has viking graphities etched into the balustrade.

[Image: Runen_Hagia_Sophia.JPG]

Some historians assume it has been done by a mercenary in service of the byzantine emperor, others think it might have been a merchant.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Deesse23

Happy 1482nd birthday!
The Vikings definitely traded with the Sarmatians, so a bit farther is completely in the realm of possibilities.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Happy 1482nd birthday!
For those who might not know art history, you are discussing the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Cavebear

Happy 1482nd birthday!
I knew Art had a history! I took Garfunkel 101 at Purdue.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
I was there in 2007.  They had scaffolding up to the ceiling and restorers were up there working...without a net.  Brave sons of bitches.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Deesse23

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 05:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I was there in 2007.  They had scaffolding up to the ceiling and restorers were up there working...without a net.  Brave sons of bitches.

Meh, they live on a fault line.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
Oh-a-yeah?  Well, I'll see your Hagia Sophia and raise you a Megalithic Temple of Malta which is over 5,600 years old.   Tongue

[Image: megalithic-temples-of-malta-3.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Phaedrus

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 08:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Oh-a-yeah?  Well, I'll see your Hagia Sophia and raise you a Megalithic Temple of Malta which is over 5,600 years old.   Tongue

That was like Day 8, wasn't it?
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 08:32 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 08:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Oh-a-yeah?  Well, I'll see your Hagia Sophia and raise you a Megalithic Temple of Malta which is over 5,600 years old.   Tongue

Somehow it survived the Biblical flood. The pottery was intact and didn't wash away.  Amazing.
                                                         T4618

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 08:43 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 08:32 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Somehow it survived the Biblical flood. The pottery was intact and didn't wash away.  Amazing.

Better gods?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Happy 1482nd birthday!
That's all just sophia much hagia!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Happy 1482nd birthday!
What's all this I hear about Sophia's hagia ?
I didn't think these people talk about their hagia's in public.
Test

Happy 1482nd birthday!
I'm a fan of the Minoan Ruins

A character I created was born near the end of the Minoan civilization

Been meaning to actually finish a book regarding this character, started working on it recently.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gawdzilla Sama

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 05:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I was there in 2007.  They had scaffolding up to the ceiling and restorers were up there working...without a net.  Brave sons of bitches.
A lack of fear in dangerous situations is an indicator of idiocy, not bravery.

After speaking to more than a few Vietnam Vets, I discovered  that fearless gung ho second Lt's were the kind of person who got fragged .

Godzilla Sama might be able to conform or deny my understanding.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
I don't know if they lacked fear or not.  I just saw that there was no net and it was a long way down to a stone floor.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-27-2019, 02:31 PM)Alan V Wrote: For those who might not know art history, you are discussing the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia

Thank you. But I'm STILL not sure what is being discussed. Is 537 CE Mohammed? If so, what importance is that?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Happy 1482nd birthday!
No.  Justinian I.  He built the Hagia Sophia to replace an earlier church which was destroyed in a riot.

They had good riots in Constantinople.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-28-2019, 04:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote: No.  Justinian I.  He built the Hagia Sophia to replace an earlier church which was destroyed in a riot.
...and it remained to be christianitys biggest cathedral for the next 1000 years, until St. Peter was finished.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Alan V

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-28-2019, 03:41 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Thank you.  But I'm STILL not sure what is being discussed.  Is 537 CE Mohammed?  If so, what importance is that?

No, it's when it got built. An architectural marvel. Especially the dome. It's a seismic active region and the building survived for almost 15 centuries.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Alan V

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-28-2019, 03:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know if they lacked fear or not.  I just saw that there was no net and it was a long way down to a stone floor.

Probably had Personal Safety Devices (PSDs), meaning a rope with a clip on the end.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-28-2019, 11:06 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 04:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote: No.  Justinian I.  He built the Hagia Sophia to replace an earlier church which was destroyed in a riot.
...and it remained to be christianitys biggest cathedral for the next 1000 years, until St. Peter was finished.

By then the Turks had taken Constantinople and made it into a mosque.

Happy 1482nd birthday!
(12-28-2019, 11:56 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 03:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know if they lacked fear or not.  I just saw that there was no net and it was a long way down to a stone floor.

Probably had Personal Safety Devices (PSDs), meaning a rope with a clip on the end.

What would the other end of the rope be tied to, the ceiling?   I have such a fear of heights I can't imagine doing this job.  Which reminds me, going through the WWI data, researchers found that the professions which received the most medals for valor and heroic acts in Great Britian were #1-Teachers  and  #2- Window washers, particularly those of the skyscraper sort.  Both are very brave professions.
                                                         T4618

Happy 1482nd birthday!
The astronauts on ISS use the PSDs and hook them to rails on the exterior. In the thick air areas (where we live) they'd hook them to the scaffoldings. You can video of them in action on Youtube if you look for guys changing light bulbs in high places, like 3500 foot tall radio antennas.