Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold On To Your Hats!

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 07:29 PM)SYZ Wrote: Ahhh... yes.  Those were the days.

[Image: 18a547991eed5213c6bda13ceadd0fe4--rolls-joint.jpg]

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was my go-to hash song.     Guaranteed every time.

That brings back a memory. Just the one.* I vomited,  hallucinated, and was off my face for 12 hours . It was then I decided not to smoke weed ever again . 

))))))))))))))))))))))))0)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

*1978, at my brother's place. There were three of us and this enormous spliff. They were both just fucking dandy-----  Concerned look ; "are you OK mate?" Followed by peals of laughter, which lasted for half an hour.

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 09:05 PM)grympy Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 09:34 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I said he had money. "Not quite"? He had money.

I didn't know that. He was independently wealthy?  That was never mentioned at my a Catholic  school. I can remember  getting into trouble at about 14 when I said I felt terribly sorry for Judas. .His suicide says more about his character than anything else, imo. 

Don't remember reading about Judas' money. But then, it's been over 50 years since I read the bible. Some (most) of the finer points have faded.

I merely point out that he had 30 pieces of silver. His valuation was that this was enough betray Jesus. So, he had money.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 09:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:05 PM)grympy Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 09:34 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I said he had money. "Not quite"? He had money.

I didn't know that. He was independently wealthy?  That was never mentioned at my a Catholic  school. I can remember  getting into trouble at about 14 when I said I felt terribly sorry for Judas. .His suicide says more about his character than anything else, imo. 

Don't remember reading about Judas' money. But then, it's been over 50 years since I read the bible. Some (most) of the finer points have faded.

I merely point out that he had 30 pieces of silver. His valuation was that this was enough betray Jesus. So, he had money.

Ok. From my post: 

"Not quite.---Wasn't HIS money, except the 30 pieces of silver blood money of course. If it was that to which you were alluding .'

Judas was the disciple's treasurer ,therefore not HIS money . At one point he complained about spending  money on something he considered frivolous, when it could have helped the poor .  (John12:5)

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 09:27 PM)grympy Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:05 PM)grympy Wrote:  I didn't know that. He was independently wealthy?  That was never mentioned at my a Catholic  school. I can remember  getting into trouble at about 14 when I said I felt terribly sorry for Judas. .His suicide says more about his character than anything else, imo. 

Ok. From my post: 

"Not quite.---Wasn't HIS money, except the 30 pieces of silver blood money of course. If it was that to which you were alluding .'

Judas was the disciple's treasurer ,therefore not HIS money . At one point he complained about spending  money on something he considered frivolous, when it could have helped the poor .  (John12:5)
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 09:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:27 PM)grympy Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I merely point out that he had 30 pieces of silver. His valuation was that this was enough betray Jesus. So, he had money.

Ok. From my post: 

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

I had covered that in my post. I misunderstood your meaning . Apologies if I was unclear.

Hold On To Your Hats!
Quote:Judas was the disciple's treasurer

What did jesus need with a treasurer?  He supposedly didn't have a pot to piss in.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 10:00 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Judas was the disciple's treasurer

What did jesus need with a treasurer?  He supposedly didn't have a pot to piss in.
And why would it matter anyway. I was talking about Judas's money, not the commune funds.

Hold On To Your Hats!
(01-01-2020, 09:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I merely point out that he had 30 pieces of silver. His valuation was that this was enough betray Jesus. So, he had money.

Or it was just a story, concocted with a small amount of money to show what an evil, conniving, traitorous bastard Judas was, without any thought that someone would come along 2,000 years later and point out that another reason for accepting such a small amount was that he didn't need the money.

I suspect Judas was a concocted villain, styled as willing to betray for a pittance just out of meanness, indifference, short-sightedness or all three.

(If anyone cares, the best-guess estimate of what 30 pieces of silver are worth in modern US$ is about $200, but could be as little as $65 or as much as $315 depending on exactly what kind of coinage was used (different concentrations of silver). Even if you assume extreme poverty for Judas, it just wasn't objectively much money. Probably would buy a wild night on the town and not much more).
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Minimalist, grympy

Hold On To Your Hats!
I'm talking about a century zero hippie cult, how could that possibly be a concocted story?

Hold On To Your Hats!
How about that there is no evidence for it except the bullshit they later churned out?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Hold On To Your Hats!
(12-28-2019, 09:48 PM)grympy Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 09:02 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 04:17 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Judas (assuming the existence of all the biblical characters for discussion), was indeed more interesting than Jesus.  When I was in college, I discovered the Jesus Christ: Superstar album.  At least that made the characters sort of real.  I memorized the lyrics and won bets for producing the next line.  But Judas was more real in that.

I saw Jesus Christ: Superstar in Italy.  Panic

I saw it on TV.

Favourite line; Pilate to Jesus ; " -----prove to me you're no fool/walk across my swimming pool ."

Had the album for years. I think it went in the property settlement 

OT: just thought of one of my favourite albums, ever;  Rick Wakeman's "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth". Same fate.

Actually, as I recall reading, the "Walk across my swimming pool" song was separately written, but included for "fitting in"... Don't have a source for that. Just a memory of a source. The helicoptor sounds were out of character, but worked...
A friend in need is a pain in the ass. If you are lucky, when he comes around you won't be home!