Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PureVPN.Seems OK so far.

PureVPN.Seems OK so far.
This is getting a bit technical, so I thought I'd move it here ;

I'm using a 4 year old Mac ,OS Catalina 10.15.2

purevpn is currently set up in file sharing mode (I'm testing each  mode for speed )

Last mode was streaming; ping 2ms . 47mbps down/19 up

File sharing ;(with new address)  ping 1ms  47 mbps down 19 mbps up

My bandwidth is 50/20, so I'm quite pleased .However, I've noticed  browsers take  some time to load  but are Ok once the page opens. . 
I think I'll be on a learning curve for the next couple of weeks while I learn  how to tweak this VPN. 

The only problem  currently is changing  country;  all those  listed  for a specific mode will not all necessarily connect. It seems to be a matter of the protocol. I discovered there are five;  PPTP, L2TO, Open VPN, IKEv2 and SSTP. I gather the most common protocols used by purevpn are L2PT and PPTP . I'm presently using  L2PT ,

There IS a way of checking the protocol of another address ,but I forget what  it is.

PureVPN.Seems OK so far.
(12-21-2019, 11:21 PM)grympy Wrote: Last mode was streaming; ping 2ms. 47mbps down/19 up

File sharing; (with new address)  ping 1ms  47 mbps down 19 mbps up...

They're pretty good speeds for a VPN mate.  I've never got that sort of speed from
my 50/20 alleged bandwidth.  Unfortunately, we're only FTTN, rather than the
FTTC we were promised by Telstra/NBN.  We have a 255 metre run from the node
to our house of a very, very old copper pair in lead(!) piping.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • grympy

PureVPN.Seems OK so far.
@SYZ

I have NBN fibre to the house.

No complaints ,except for the galling fact that by world standards ,Australian internet speeds are woeful

The VPN app is another thing entirely. It's very buggy. Often can't connect after the system has been sleeping .With tech support, so far I've changed the password and have had to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing.

I'm already miffed, moving into into peeved. From there I could easily fly into a perfect tizzy. Not something you really don't want to see.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • SYZ

PureVPN.Seems OK so far.
(12-22-2019, 08:23 AM)grympy Wrote: @SYZ

I  have NBN fibre to the house.  

No complaints ,except for the galling fact that by world standards ,Australian  internet speeds are woeful

The VPN app is another thing entirely. It's very buggy.  Often can't connect after the system has been sleeping .With tech support, so  far I've changed the  password and have had to uninstall and reinstall  the whole thing.

I'm  already miffed, moving into into peeved. From there I could easily fly into  a perfect tizzy. Not something you really don't want to see.

Update;

It's working, and as I want, but it currently has a temporary password which I will need to change.

I don't know if it works better  on Windows, but I do not recommend it for Mac. A pity, because from what I've read, PureVpn  seems to be one the better VPN's--_Plenty of time to sort it out because i took their special of 5 years  @  $US1.32 a month.  Nerdry mate has been using it with Windows for months  and recommended it. 

So, that means I simply need to learn how to learn their buggy system ;reinstallation or password are  no biggie if  you know what you're doing. I'm learning, and it's getting easier each day---yesterday I learned how to set protocols manually(the auto setting doesn't always  work) .   Thumbs Up
  • SYZ

PureVPN.Seems OK so far.
UPDATE

Is working again, after a password reset by Purevpn support.

NOW my Email won't work at all unless the VPN is turned on, and still can't receive.

Am not happy.

Looks like another hour with VPN support.

2 minutes later; went online and found answer. A quick fix, but I remain unimpressed with purevpn's software. I gather it's fine with Windows
  • SYZ