Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seventh mass extinction? Severe and deadly event 260 million years ago discovered

Seventh mass extinction? Severe and deadly event 260 million years ago discovered
Old article but I never saw it. 

https://www.newsweek.com/seventh-mass-ex...nt-1458474

Quote: 
Scientists believe that the Earth is currently going through its sixth mass extinction event. However, there may have been another such incident in our planet's past that researchers had overlooked until now, according to a study published in the journal Historical Biology.

In light of these findings, the authors of the study—Michael Rampino from New York University and Shu-Zhong Shen from Nanjing University in China—suggest that the current loss in biodiversity should perhaps be called the "seventh" mass extinction.

The scientists say that the event in question—known as the end-Guadalupian biodiversity crisis—took place around 260 million years ago and its severity has previously been underestimated.

"The end-Guadalupian crisis was considered by many to be only a minor extinction event," Rampino told Newsweek. "The latest data, however, suggest that around 60 percent of marine species became extinct, and possibly an equal number of non-marine species. So the end-Guadalupian crisis was apparently a major mass extinction."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, Cavebear, brunumb, Alan V, SYZ

(12-19-2019, 04:40 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Old article but I never saw it. 

Quote: 
Scientists believe that the Earth is currently going through its sixth mass extinction event. However, there may have been another such incident in our planet's past that researchers had overlooked until now, according to a study published in the journal Historical Biology.

In light of these findings, the authors of the study—Michael Rampino from New York University and Shu-Zhong Shen from Nanjing University in China—suggest that the current loss in biodiversity should perhaps be called the "seventh" mass extinction.

The scientists say that the event in question—known as the end-Guadalupian biodiversity crisis—took place around 260 million years ago and its severity has previously been underestimated.

"The end-Guadalupian crisis was considered by many to be only a minor extinction event," Rampino told Newsweek. "The latest data, however, suggest that around 60 percent of marine species became extinct, and possibly an equal number of non-marine species. So the end-Guadalupian crisis was apparently a major mass extinction."

It seems to be true. We are killing off other species through land development, habitat loss, isolation, and food. I think it is partly a consequence of being top predators who have gotten beyond the usual constraints of checks and balances.

We have become omnivores with the abilities to outhunt/eat herbivores, carnivores, and other omnivores. In a way, I suppose darwinian competition forces something like us to arise. Not specifically us or even primates, but something had to get the right combination of skills.

Amd not saying that this is best for our or other species to survive. But here we are.

Or maybe that is required to meet extra-solar intelligences who did the same thing.

The future will be interesting.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

From your article:

Quote:This event affected life on land and at sea, occurring around the same time as a huge volcanic eruption that produced the Emeishan Traps—a vast rocky formation that lies in what is now southwestern China.This eruption was likely one of the main drivers of this mass extinction event, according to the researchers.

"Massive eruptions such as this one release large amounts of greenhouse gases, specifically carbon dioxide and methane, that cause severe global warming, with warm, oxygen-poor oceans that are not conducive to marine life," [Michael] Rampino [of New York University] said in a statement.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

(12-19-2019, 09:19 AM)Alan V Wrote:

From your article:

Quote:This event affected life on land and at sea, occurring around the same time as a huge volcanic eruption that produced the Emeishan Traps—a vast rocky formation that lies in what is now southwestern China.This eruption was likely one of the main drivers of this mass extinction event, according to the researchers.

"Massive eruptions such as this one release large amounts of greenhouse gases, specifically carbon dioxide and methane, that cause severe global warming, with warm, oxygen-poor oceans that are not conducive to marine life," [Michael] Rampino [of New York University] said in a statement.

The food chain starts at the bottom. No microbes, no larger ones, no tiny fish, no larger fish, no aquatic animals, no land animals, no US. We need oxygen. We need food. The supply is neither infinite nor guaranteed.

We really are overdue for an extinction.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-19-2019, 09:30 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: We really are overdue for an extinction.

I don't think there is a timetable for that, but we might well be experiencing one. And of our own making. We are deliberately creating less bio-diversity through agriculture, eliminating wildlife migration patterns, and killing key parts of the food chain. It is certainly for our short-term benefit. but not for our long term benefit.

An advanced species might look at us and think we were idiots eating our own seed-corn. Yeah...

A mature intelligent species would recognize that the whole food-chain matters.

Let's say your parents gave you a $1 million and you spent $100,000 per year and earned $20,000. How long would you last? That's what we are doing.

Nature doesn't average.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Cavebear, Inkubus

(12-19-2019, 02:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Nature doesn't average.

The most beautiful aspect of a storm is its unpredictability and its savagery, because to despise something for its inhuman nature is absurd.

If evolution would guide us to less reproduction, there would be a better outcome.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Dom Wrote: If evolution would guide us to less reproduction, there would be a better outcome.

Why else do you think we gays exist? Wink
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Dom

Nature doesn't average.

Correct. Nature gives advantage to the successful. But we humans may be the first to be able to consider long-term advantage to our species, and destroying the kitchen isn't the best idea.

(12-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Dom Wrote: If evolution would guide us to less reproduction, there would be a better outcome.

I might point out that, as women become more educated around the globe, they have fewer children. Knowledge is power. To reduce the global population, educate everyone.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

(12-19-2019, 02:22 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

To support gay bars? Big Grin
  • Phaedrus

(12-19-2019, 02:22 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

Yabbut, gays have been around forever, they just never had a voice before the 70s.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus

(12-19-2019, 02:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Nature doesn't average.

Correct.  Nature gives advantage to the successful.  But we humans may be the first to be able to consider long-term advantage to our species, and destroying the kitchen isn't the best idea.

Nature doesn't average.

(12-19-2019, 03:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Nature doesn't average.

Correct.  Nature gives advantage to the successful.  But we humans may be the first to be able to consider long-term advantage to our species, and destroying the kitchen isn't the best idea.

Nature doesn't average.

That is of course, true.  Natural selection is not "the average".  It is the situation where a slight change, not average, gives a slight advantage to the non-average.  A slimmer beak catches the worm "Just" slightly better.  Or a stronger one cracks open a seed "just " slightly better.  Both work. And in time, there are 2 groups that stop mating because of slight differences.  Voila, 2 species from one.

Don't tell me you don't know this.

I was saying that your post didn't address nature, it spoke of human actions.

(12-19-2019, 03:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was saying that your post didn't address nature, it spoke of human actions.

To whom was the response addressed?

(12-19-2019, 03:49 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 03:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was saying that your post didn't address nature, it spoke of human actions.

You quoted me, then went and posted about humans. I reminded you that I hadn't mentioned humans.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-19-2019, 03:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 03:49 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

You quoted me, then went and posted about humans. I reminded you that I hadn't mentioned humans.

Well "fuck you and that little dog chasing the pirates across the screen!" "And your clothes are ugly"! That last was from a carpool member who asked if her fake tan looked fake (it did and I was honest). Wink

Seriously, you know your own posts, and not all of us do. Sometimes it is hard to track back. So no insult intended. Hell, I seldom know what I posted yesterday myself. Not that I don't mean it, but I wouldn't quote me on it today from memory. I mean, how can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

So, all I was asking was a reference about the post... I couldn't tell from your post alone.

Sorry, too many snipers out there. And I can blame oxycodone too.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-19-2019, 02:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

I might point out that, as women become more educated around the globe, they have fewer children.  Knowledge is power.  To reduce the global population, educate everyone.

There is also an direct ratio between poverty and childbirth per capita. The wealthier a country, the lower the birth-rate -- no doubt this ties into your point ab out education as well.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear, Dom

(12-19-2019, 05:16 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Sorry, too many snipers out there. And I can blame oxycodone too.

Is that the oxy laundry detergent additive? Joke, I looked it up. Serious stuff. And the snipers too.

(12-19-2019, 06:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

I might point out that, as women become more educated around the globe, they have fewer children.  Knowledge is power.  To reduce the global population, educate everyone.

There is also an direct ratio between poverty and childbirth per capita. The wealthier a country, the lower the birth-rate -- no doubt this ties into your point ab out education as well.

Yes. There are many variables, but most that affect women affect birthrates. I sure don't know all of them. But when I read about any, it always seems to be anything helpful to women. Even such a simple thing as a well nearer home.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-19-2019, 07:17 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 06:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I might point out that, as women become more educated around the globe, they have fewer children.  Knowledge is power.  To reduce the global population, educate everyone.

Yes.  There are many variables, but most that affect women affect birthrates.  I sure don't know all of them.  But when I read about any, it always seems to be anything helpful to women.  Even such a simple thing as a well nearer home.

I think our points dovetail. As a nation's wealth increases, generally women are afforded more opportunities for education and joining the workforce, both events that have a correlation with lower birth-rates. I'd imagine that access to modern healthcare as well correlates too; in poor countries, children strike me as a form of retirement planning. In other words, they could be parts of a virtuous cycle.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear