Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
creation/evolution the video

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 02:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 05:22 PM)Drich Wrote: ...there is a central cohesion built into Christian forums that will never be found in a place like this. We unite under God for the purpose of worship and fellowship.

That 'central cohesion' is due to the need for Christians to support each of the others in the group in order
to ward off any lack of fundamental belief in the dogma.  It's also to avoid an individual going against the
stream, as it were, and possibly voicing opinions that contradict the dogma, and becoming a pariah.  One of
the most important things in the life of a Christian is a commonality of both mindset and world-view.  And in
turn, that commonality gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling, and protects them from many of the vagaries
of everyday life.

And diametrically opposite are atheists or non-believers, or humanists.  Atheists often hold major differences
of opinion about a multitude of things, as there's no "accepted" dogma that has to be adhered to.  Unlike
Christians, atheists are each their own person, led by science and logic, rather than fantasy and fiction.

Quote:If you have 100 atheist and all are of the same mind on every subject then the forum becomes a self reassuring circle jerk.

This never happens.  You're confusing atheists with Christians LOL.

Quote:Also look at the Christian threads and their activity verses pure atheist no Christian response threads. This alone tells the story.

I agree.  The Christian threads here are often dominant in response numbers simply because people like you
(and other theists) are so self-centred, pompous, and wilfully ignorant that we spend so much time trying to
educate you to the possibility of alternatives to your obstinate mindsets.  Many people here are agnostic,
but people like you won't even agree to that proposition—that gods may not exist in any form.  Your
delusional certainty that supernatural entities exist blinds you to the sciences, rationale, and common sense.


Your reason why christian thread are far more active is irrelevant. You again prove my point. Christian thread= far more diverse conversation and activity which is the life blood of any forum. 

check out some of the other atheist forums who ran their christians off... check their subject matter time stamps. unless the atheist are involved in a circle jerk patting each other on the back giving one another reps and points it can be weeks if not days between real subjects. Even then it only works if one of you is for guns or for trump or take the opposite side.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 06:11 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 12:20 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: @Drich Let's get down to basics.

- Is there any evidence that your deity exists?
the very same kind that can put people away in jail for life or that can exonerate them. 
Quote:Please remember that arguments aren't evidence.
but eye witness testimony is espically from 1/2 the planet or more for the last 6000 years, where as 2% or less has experienced nothing.

There is NO eyewitness testimony, there is only personal testimony.

For something to be eyewitness testimony, an event had to be seen or heard.  Internal mental states do not qualify.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 06:22 PM)Drich Wrote: Your reason why christian thread are far more active is irrelevant. You again prove my point. Christian thread= far more diverse conversation and activity which is the life blood of any forum.

check out some of the other atheist forums who ran their christians off... check their subject matter time stamps. unless the atheist are involved in a circle jerk patting each other on the back giving one another reps and points it can be weeks if not days between real subjects. Even then it only works if one of you is for guns or for trump or take the opposite side.

Christians are welcome here.  It's YOU who is not.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • SYZ
Reply

creation/evolution the video
Meh. All are welcome. Just not necessarily well regarded or respected. Some things need to be earned. And some things, if granted, can be withdrawn.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 06:11 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 12:20 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: @Drich Let's get down to basics.

- Is there any evidence that your deity exists?
the very same kind that can put people away in jail for life or that can exonerate them. 
Quote:Please remember that arguments aren't evidence.
but eye witness testimony is espically from 1/2 the planet or more for the last 6000 years, where as 2% or less has experienced nothing.

There is NO eyewitness testimony, there is only personal testimony.

For something to be eyewitness testimony, an event had to be seen or heard.  Internal mental states do not qualify.

I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:
Quote:Here is one I wrote following a question on angels:

I don't know if I saw a "Capitol A"ngel or just a messenger, but what stuck me was what he had to say.

My mom had just returned to Korea for a month long visit and my Father is a strong willed atheist who does not agree with our "religious" practices. So when she left so too did my shield from him. (I was about 17 or 18) long story short, My church going sister and I were kicked out of the house and we were staying with members of the church, and they asked me to come to a resolution with my father. so I was going to my uncles house to speak with him after work. It was very cold that night, and my car did not have heat, so I was bundled up, but still wanted to stop and get us some cokes to share while we made a plan to resolve things with my dad.

On the way I stopped at a poorly lit store who sat lower than the rest of the road, (That meant one could see the whole parking lot.) I pulled in and opened the door to the cold, and to my surprise stood a very tall black man wearing a army jacket, a black beanie, gloves with no fingers, and dirty blue jeans with nasty work boots.

He genuine scared me because I am usually very aware of my surroundings and he came from no where. I must of stood there with a shocked expression because He said, I didn't mean to scare you, but I was just released from prison and need your help. At that point I said to myself strike 3 sucker I'm out of here, but I must of blurted out something like, what do you need? He told me, "I need to get to so and so's house before my parole officer calls at 7, It's just a few miles away." I said ok, but I need to get some drinks because my uncle is expecting me.

In the store I separated my money (just got paid) Because no matter what you do for someone they always ask for cash in the end. Got my drinks and went out side and he was climbing in the back of my ranchero. I told Him he did not have to ride in the back, and opened the door for him. He introduced Himself (dont remember his name.) I introduced myself and that was the Last Thing I said Aloud.

He said "I don't have much time, but I was told to help you. For you see I'm what you might call a psychic." Then he asked do you want to hear where your problems are, and what the Lord has in store for you? I nodded my head, and He began very quickly to list all of the problems my dad and I were having, then He went into my dad's past and told me of the triggers, and then proceeded to tell me how to resolve this issue we were currently having. He told me of my mom where she went why she went and what she was thinking. Next He went into my short comings, not all of them, just the one that were keeping me from a relationship with God.

At this point we traveled less than a mile and I was absolutely dumb founded, I thought to myself this Guy must be my guardian angel. Then He stopped mid sentence looked me square in the eye and said: "something like that." Then He proceeded to tell me of my future, what God was going to do for me, what was required of me, and what was expected in return. (Don't like to go into details because many tell me I am conceded or foolish to think God will use me in these ways when I do share.)

He told me of the love interest that I had at the time and I was told I would be given one chance and I will absolutely know when that chance with her would be, but I would refuse her. (And I did not because of what this guy said it was just circumstance) He told me of someone else. Someone in whom God was preparing for me specifically. Which all was very very true. Then He told me of the gifts I will be given, and impact I could have on others. At this point tears were streaming and I was frightened and elated at the same time. Just when I could not hear anymore He said "This is far enough, pull over here." (Well lit parking lot of another convenience store)

I did, and He got out, grabbed his bag then smiled with a big grin and asked: "One more thing do you have a dollar or two" and looked at the pocket where I separated my money, Then he said, "cause you know how we can never be happy with what has already been given to us.." He Told me God bless, I did a quick u-turn and He was gone... just as quickly as he appeared.

Whether one can classify this encounter with a specific class of angel or not, by definition this man or being carried a message from God. One that has (over time) proven to be true time and time again. One that permanently changed my life. His message has help me see point and purpose through hardships and tragedy that most do not recover from. Perhaps that was the point. Either way, I tell you all of this to say a angel is a messenger from God. Now whether they have a complete message/picture of your life, or just enough to answer a question you have asked on this website. Angels/messengers do exist, even if they are not the kind we like to make movies and write books about.

Anyone who carries the message of God is indeed one of His messengers.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 06:22 PM)Drich Wrote: Your reason why christian thread are far more active is irrelevant. You again prove my point. Christian thread= far more diverse conversation and activity which is the life blood of any forum.

check out some of the other atheist forums who ran their christians off... check their subject matter time stamps. unless the atheist are involved in a circle jerk patting each other on the back giving one another reps and points it can be weeks if not days between real subjects. Even then it only works if one of you is for guns or for trump or take the opposite side.

Christians are welcome here.  It's YOU who is not.

seems to me i am welcome by enough of the people on this website who actually that matter, otherwise i would not be here..
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:43 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 06:22 PM)Drich Wrote: Your reason why christian thread are far more active is irrelevant. You again prove my point. Christian thread= far more diverse conversation and activity which is the life blood of any forum.

check out some of the other atheist forums who ran their christians off... check their subject matter time stamps. unless the atheist are involved in a circle jerk patting each other on the back giving one another reps and points it can be weeks if not days between real subjects. Even then it only works if one of you is for guns or for trump or take the opposite side.

Christians are welcome here.  It's YOU who is not.

seems to me i am welcome by enough of the people on this website who actually that matter, otherwise i would not be here..

You mistake toleration for welcome.
You are not a Christian.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Deesse23, Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 06:11 PM)Drich Wrote: the very same kind that can put people away in jail for life or that can exonerate them. 
but eye witness testimony is espically from 1/2 the planet or more for the last 6000 years, where as 2% or less has experienced nothing.

There is NO eyewitness testimony, there is only personal testimony.

For something to be eyewitness testimony, an event had to be seen or heard.  Internal mental states do not qualify.

I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:

Without confirmation, it is not evidence.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker 

There is every likelihood it was hallucination given your admitted emotional state at the time.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!   Yeah, sure.   PFFTTTTTT!    People claim they've seen flying saucers and aliens.  Funny thing about that, before the advent of space travel and movies about aliens nobody ever reported seeing these things.  Your confirmation bias is not confirmation of evidence.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:
Quote:Here is one I wrote following a question on angels:

I don't know if I saw a "Capitol A"ngel or just a messenger, but what stuck me was what he had to say.

My mom had just returned to Korea for a month long visit and my Father is a strong willed atheist who does not agree with our "religious" practices. So when she left so too did my shield from him. (I was about 17 or 18) long story short, My church going sister and I were kicked out of the house and we were staying with members of the church, and they asked me to come to a resolution with my father. so I was going to my uncles house to speak with him after work. It was very cold that night, and my car did not have heat, so I was bundled up, but still wanted to stop and get us some cokes to share while we made a plan to resolve things with my dad.

On the way I stopped at a poorly lit store who sat lower than the rest of the road, (That meant one could see the whole parking lot.) I pulled in and opened the door to the cold, and to my surprise stood a very tall black man wearing a army jacket, a black beanie, gloves with no fingers, and dirty blue jeans with nasty work boots.

He genuine scared me because I am usually very aware of my surroundings and he came from no where. I must of stood there with a shocked expression because He said, I didn't mean to scare you, but I was just released from prison and need your help. At that point I said to myself strike 3 sucker I'm out of here, but I must of blurted out something like, what do you need? He told me, "I need to get to so and so's house before my parole officer calls at 7, It's just a few miles away." I said ok, but I need to get some drinks because my uncle is expecting me.

In the store I separated my money (just got paid) Because no matter what you do for someone they always ask for cash in the end. Got my drinks and went out side and he was climbing in the back of my ranchero. I told Him he did not have to ride in the back, and opened the door for him. He introduced Himself (dont remember his name.) I introduced myself and that was the Last Thing I said Aloud.

He said "I don't have much time, but I was told to help you. For you see I'm what you might call a psychic." Then he asked do you want to hear where your problems are, and what the Lord has in store for you? I nodded my head, and He began very quickly to list all of the problems my dad and I were having, then He went into my dad's past and told me of the triggers, and then proceeded to tell me how to resolve this issue we were currently having. He told me of my mom where she went why she went and what she was thinking. Next He went into my short comings, not all of them, just the one that were keeping me from a relationship with God.

At this point we traveled less than a mile and I was absolutely dumb founded, I thought to myself this Guy must be my guardian angel. Then He stopped mid sentence looked me square in the eye and said: "something like that." Then He proceeded to tell me of my future, what God was going to do for me, what was required of me, and what was expected in return. (Don't like to go into details because many tell me I am conceded or foolish to think God will use me in these ways when I do share.)

He told me of the love interest that I had at the time and I was told I would be given one chance and I will absolutely know when that chance with her would be, but I would refuse her. (And I did not because of what this guy said it was just circumstance) He told me of someone else. Someone in whom God was preparing for me specifically. Which all was very very true. Then He told me of the gifts I will be given, and impact I could have on others. At this point tears were streaming and I was frightened and elated at the same time. Just when I could not hear anymore He said "This is far enough, pull over here." (Well lit parking lot of another convenience store)

I did, and He got out, grabbed his bag then smiled with a big grin and asked: "One more thing do you have a dollar or two" and looked at the pocket where I separated my money, Then he said, "cause you know how we can never be happy with what has already been given to us.." He Told me God bless, I did a quick u-turn and He was gone... just as quickly as he appeared.

Whether one can classify this encounter with a specific class of angel or not, by definition this man or being carried a message from God. One that has (over time) proven to be true time and time again. One that permanently changed my life. His message has help me see point and purpose through hardships and tragedy that most do not recover from. Perhaps that was the point. Either way, I tell you all of this to say a angel is a messenger from God. Now whether they have a complete message/picture of your life, or just enough to answer a question you have asked on this website. Angels/messengers do exist, even if they are not the kind we like to make movies and write books about.

Anyone who carries the message of God is indeed one of His messengers.

[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Deesse23, brunumb
Reply

creation/evolution the video
A guy just out of prison - a place that is filled to the brim with various kinds of evangelical Christians - preys upon a young adult - who typically have daddy issues - and spouts some run-of-the-mill nonsense to a rube dumb and gullible enough to swallow it wholesale. Film at 11.

Also, the mysterious, down-on-their-luck stranger spreading god's word to someone else in a vulnerable moment is most definitely the kind of thing one sees in modern Christian media. It's one of the more popular tropes because it plays upon Christian biases, most notably persecution (these people are social outsiders) and the shunning of material wealth for spiritual wealth. It's straight from central casting, and not at all amazing or unique as a concept.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 05:24 PM)KevinM1 Wrote: A guy just out of prison - a place that is filled to the brim with various kinds of evangelical Christians - preys upon a young adult - who typically have daddy issues - and spouts some run-of-the-mill nonsense to a rube dumb and gullible enough to swallow it wholesale.  Film at 11.
who called specific events out of the past, plees I made to God alone, situations I was dealing with then, and future events that have been coming true for the last 20 or so years with no more than two words said aloud. He even stop mid sentence and answered a question I had in my head.

Quote:Also, the mysterious, down-on-their-luck stranger spreading god's word to someone else in a vulnerable moment is most definitely the kind of thing one sees in modern Christian media.
as it is a reflection of the instances provided in the OT.

Quote: It's one of the more popular tropes because it plays upon Christian biases, most notably persecution (these people are social outsiders) and the shunning of material wealth for spiritual wealth.  It's straight from central casting, and not at all amazing or unique as a concept.

or again this is but one of the events that changed my life forever. that God has promised us the gift of the Holy Spirit if we but only A/S/K for it.

funny how you have all the answers to my specific encounter without asking a single question.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 04:36 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:
Quote:Here is one I wrote following a question on angels:

I don't know if I saw a "Capitol A"ngel or just a messenger, but what stuck me was what he had to say.

My mom had just returned to Korea for a month long visit and my Father is a strong willed atheist who does not agree with our "religious" practices. So when she left so too did my shield from him. (I was about 17 or 18) long story short, My church going sister and I were kicked out of the house and we were staying with members of the church, and they asked me to come to a resolution with my father. so I was going to my uncles house to speak with him after work. It was very cold that night, and my car did not have heat, so I was bundled up, but still wanted to stop and get us some cokes to share while we made a plan to resolve things with my dad.

On the way I stopped at a poorly lit store who sat lower than the rest of the road, (That meant one could see the whole parking lot.) I pulled in and opened the door to the cold, and to my surprise stood a very tall black man wearing a army jacket, a black beanie, gloves with no fingers, and dirty blue jeans with nasty work boots.

He genuine scared me because I am usually very aware of my surroundings and he came from no where. I must of stood there with a shocked expression because He said, I didn't mean to scare you, but I was just released from prison and need your help. At that point I said to myself strike 3 sucker I'm out of here, but I must of blurted out something like, what do you need? He told me, "I need to get to so and so's house before my parole officer calls at 7, It's just a few miles away." I said ok, but I need to get some drinks because my uncle is expecting me.

In the store I separated my money (just got paid) Because no matter what you do for someone they always ask for cash in the end. Got my drinks and went out side and he was climbing in the back of my ranchero. I told Him he did not have to ride in the back, and opened the door for him. He introduced Himself (dont remember his name.) I introduced myself and that was the Last Thing I said Aloud.

He said "I don't have much time, but I was told to help you. For you see I'm what you might call a psychic." Then he asked do you want to hear where your problems are, and what the Lord has in store for you? I nodded my head, and He began very quickly to list all of the problems my dad and I were having, then He went into my dad's past and told me of the triggers, and then proceeded to tell me how to resolve this issue we were currently having. He told me of my mom where she went why she went and what she was thinking. Next He went into my short comings, not all of them, just the one that were keeping me from a relationship with God.

At this point we traveled less than a mile and I was absolutely dumb founded, I thought to myself this Guy must be my guardian angel. Then He stopped mid sentence looked me square in the eye and said: "something like that." Then He proceeded to tell me of my future, what God was going to do for me, what was required of me, and what was expected in return. (Don't like to go into details because many tell me I am conceded or foolish to think God will use me in these ways when I do share.)

He told me of the love interest that I had at the time and I was told I would be given one chance and I will absolutely know when that chance with her would be, but I would refuse her. (And I did not because of what this guy said it was just circumstance) He told me of someone else. Someone in whom God was preparing for me specifically. Which all was very very true. Then He told me of the gifts I will be given, and impact I could have on others. At this point tears were streaming and I was frightened and elated at the same time. Just when I could not hear anymore He said "This is far enough, pull over here." (Well lit parking lot of another convenience store)

I did, and He got out, grabbed his bag then smiled with a big grin and asked: "One more thing do you have a dollar or two" and looked at the pocket where I separated my money, Then he said, "cause you know how we can never be happy with what has already been given to us.." He Told me God bless, I did a quick u-turn and He was gone... just as quickly as he appeared.

Whether one can classify this encounter with a specific class of angel or not, by definition this man or being carried a message from God. One that has (over time) proven to be true time and time again. One that permanently changed my life. His message has help me see point and purpose through hardships and tragedy that most do not recover from. Perhaps that was the point. Either way, I tell you all of this to say a angel is a messenger from God. Now whether they have a complete message/picture of your life, or just enough to answer a question you have asked on this website. Angels/messengers do exist, even if they are not the kind we like to make movies and write books about.

Anyone who carries the message of God is indeed one of His messengers.

 he did introduce himself as what  i might have understood then to be a psychic...
but look at the fishing your guy does, throws out general bait,waits for responses. look at the questions he asks.at the questions he asks.

The only think this man asked for was a ride and at the end the 2 dollars i put in my left pocket for him.

Plus I was provided with past present and future issues. while driving/not responding to him directly. like i said no pauses no break spoke from the moment we got onto the road and never let me get a word in edge wise, and when he was done he wanted out short of his stated destination.


and again this is what God used for me.

The holy Spirit will come to you in exactly what you need, so that you know for sure so that you understand and have no doubt.

for you, you could have proof positive, for others it could mean nothing.

my point is we can't say God has been silent for 2000 years when he speaks to us daily.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 04:14 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!   Yeah, sure.   PFFTTTTTT!    People claim they've seen flying saucers and aliens.  Funny thing about that, before the advent of space travel and movies about aliens nobody ever reported seeing these things.  Your confirmation bias is not confirmation of evidence.

and if you saw one?

...That is what is being offered when we learn to pray.

My angel is for me, to know... Yours if you approached God on his terms would be for you to know.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote: There is NO eyewitness testimony, there is only personal testimony.

For something to be eyewitness testimony, an event had to be seen or heard.  Internal mental states do not qualify.

I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:

Without confirmation, it is not evidence.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker 

There is every likelihood it was hallucination given your admitted emotional state at the time.

maybe.. or maybe it happened exactly like i said it did otherwise I would not want or feel the need to share something so personal and life changing if i did not feel 100% obligated to do so.
Reply

creation/evolution the video
Quote:I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:

And, as I recall, you were dismissed as being a delusional fuckwit even then.  People at AF were pretty sharp.  They knew a nutbag when they saw one!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • KevinM1
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 06:32 PM)Drich Wrote: maybe.. or maybe it happened exactly like i said it did otherwise I would not want or feel the need to share something so personal and life changing if i did not feel 100% obligated to do so.

Non sequitur. 
You have linked two concepts that are not necessarily related. 
The need to share something has nothing at all to do with the veracity of it. Many, (if not most) people keep quiet about things they know are unusual, AND when they do reveal them, they often exaggerate and embellish. 

They see people with delusions such as yours every day in the ER, caused by stress. There are no angels, "messengers" and "holy spirits".  
There is no evidence of them.
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • KevinM1, Dancefortwo, brunumb, Astreja
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 05:31 PM)Drich Wrote: who called specific events out of the past, plees I made to God alone, situations I was dealing with then, and future events that have been coming true for the last 20 or so years with no more than two words said aloud. He even stop mid sentence and answered a question I had in my head

How specific was he? Seriously, a lot of young adults think that the shit they deal with is unique when it's really not. Young people have abusive parents, divorced parents, etc. Kids with an obvious non-white ethnicity typically have to deal with more poverty. And because these situations are actually pretty typical, so, too, are the pleas to god that follow.

Unless he said something actually specific, as in "Remember that time, when you were living on X Street in Y Town at Z years old? And Person A did the thing?" you got duped.

And even if this person was that specific, there's no reason for anyone to think it was actually due to some god rather than a delusion. My father was convinced he saw god. Had a conversation with him, in fact. God told him he was a good person, doing good work, and should keep it up. Said it happened in the middle of the night, when he got up to go to the bathroom. Saw a glowing figure, taller than him and with facial features he couldn't make out due to the glow, reflected next to him in the mirror.

Of course, the reality was that my father was an abusive asshole and child molester who later spent about a decade in prison. And that his father was a notoriously unbalanced and violent man who died in his 50s. My father didn't see god... he was at the mercy of what, over time, became a pronounced mental illness. One that, among other features, makes him suffer from delusions of grandeur. That he's by far a more capable and morally just person than what he actually is. He sees himself as the victim of others, rather than the monster he is in reality.

So, no, I have no reason to take anyone's claims of meeting god or one of their messengers seriously, not when personal experience tells me it's the delusion stemming from serious mental illness.
The following 5 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu, brunumb, Deesse23, Astreja
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 06:09 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 04:14 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!   Yeah, sure.   PFFTTTTTT!    People claim they've seen flying saucers and aliens.  Funny thing about that, before the advent of space travel and movies about aliens nobody ever reported seeing these things.  Your confirmation bias is not confirmation of evidence.

and if you saw one?

...That is what is being offered when we learn to pray.

My angel is for me, to know... Yours if you approached God on his terms would be for you to know.
  

I won't see one because I'm rational and don't believe in leperchauns....errr....gods.  Hindus see Lord Shiva or Lord Vishnu.  The god that you imagine you see depends on happenstance of birth and religious and cultural influences.  Tacitus wrote that soldiers praying to Hercules just before a battle all saw him standing there before them. In 1916 or 1917 (can't remember which)  twenty thousand catholics near a village in Portugal were anticipating a religious event  and claimed they saw the sun dance around in the sky.  Nobody outside of the area saw anything unusual about the sun.  Astronomers around the world didn't notice the sun doing anything unusual. Nope, only a bunch of people who were ferverent believers and primed to see a religious miracle saw the sun dance.  Funny how the virgin Mary appears to Catholics and not Protestants. She's not an important an icon to Protestants, but she sure is to the Catholics and sure enough, they're the ones she appears to.  Religious confirmation bias at it's finest.

My brother-in-law said he saw a UFO but years later he confessed he was on LSD at the time.   Personal experience is not evidence.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, brunumb, KevinM1, Chas, Astreja
Reply

creation/evolution the video
Maybe drick is being honest. I just finished banging Aphrodite, she says it was the best sexin' she's ever had!
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 10:36 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: ... My brother-in-law said he saw a UFO but years later he confessed he was on LSD at the time ...

Then he probably did see an extraterrestrial UFO.  The ultra top-secret Magenta Project commissioned by the Air Force in 1967 (so secret none of its 329 pages can be released to the public until 2063) conclusively proved that all classes of extraterrestrial UFOs, especially the mega sized ones that can occlude one full 23rd of the visible sky, emit and reflect electromagnetic radiation within a narrow band ONLY visible to the human neurological visual processing system experiencing the high bias of LSD intoxication.  In layman's language, your BIL's tourism on a pill made him able to spot things no one else has, or ever will.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Astreja
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-14-2020, 12:44 AM)airportkid Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 10:36 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: ... My brother-in-law said he saw a UFO but years later he confessed he was on LSD at the time ...

Then he probably did see an extraterrestrial UFO.  The ultra top-secret Magenta Project commissioned by the Air Force in 1967 (so secret none of its 329 pages can be released to the public until 2063) conclusively proved that all classes of extraterrestrial UFOs, especially the mega sized ones that can occlude one full 23rd of the visible sky, emit and reflect electromagnetic radiation within a narrow band ONLY visible to the human neurological visual processing system experiencing the high bias of LSD intoxication.  In layman's language, your BIL's tourism on a pill made him able to spot things no one else has, or ever will.  Tongue

Nah, my brother in law also claims to have had sex with a very young Lauren Bacall.  She came into his college dorm room and had sex with him right on the couch.  He was also on LSD at the time.   Whistling
                                                         T4618
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-13-2020, 06:32 PM)Drich Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS. Posted this about 8 years ago on AF:

Without confirmation, it is not evidence.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker 

There is every likelihood it was hallucination given your admitted emotional state at the time.

maybe.. or maybe it happened exactly like i said it did otherwise I would not want or feel the need to share something so personal and life changing if i did not feel 100% obligated to do so.

Maybe, but claims without evidence can be dismissed without bias.

I believe that you likely believe it, but that is not evidence of the claim.

Provide evidence and I will evaluate it.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • KevinM1
Reply

creation/evolution the video
(02-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Drich Wrote: I SAW AN ANGEL/MESSENGER/HOLY SPIRIT which makes me an EYEWITNESS...

Nope. Angels don't exist—they're just imaginary or fictional entities. You were obviously delusional and/or hallucinating.
And this of course dismisses your claim of being an "eye witness" to something.  Like a lot of alleged eye witnesses, you
merely thought  you saw something, and then later recounted this as evidence.  You may have even convinced yourself
after the event with misplaced wishful thinking—when we act under a strongly held delusion, none of like being told
that our delusion was a non-event.  We see it as an attack on our very person.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)