Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chopin Nocturne in C sharp minor, op 20

edit
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-03-2019, 04:18 AM)grympy Wrote: edit

Doesn't even ring a key to me.  But here's a lovely presentation.

Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

Love me some Chopin.  Heart     My father was a trained in classical piano and played a lot of Chopin.  He wasn't professional or anything like that but he started when he was 5 years old so he got pretty darned good.  Chopin is frequently played during ballet barre warmup because it lends itself so well to dance and even today when I'm in a ballet class I love to hear Chopin because it reminds me of my childhood when I would wake up to my father playing a Chopin Nocturne.  

Chopin music was used for the ballet Les Sylphides.  Here is Baryshnikov and Tcherkassky in Les Sylphedes.  It is one of the most lyrical and beautiful ballets. They both float on air.

Unlike Rudolf Nureyev, Baryshnikov was a fantastic partner and knew how to show off the female dancer.  Nureyev kinda resented the female because she was getting in the way of his glorious self.  There's a great story of Nureyev partnering a fabulous ballerina in a pas de deux and leaving her a couple beats too early in the music so he could go off and do his jumps.  While he was doing that she simply held a balance en pointe on one foot for an amazing amount of time and brought the house down.  He never danced with her again.   

Oops, I got sidetracked and off the topic a little bit.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

This remains my favorite performance of my favorite piece of music.

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

(12-03-2019, 06:58 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:

Everyone has a style they like.  I'm eclectic, but Pachelbel's Canon in D Major is good for me.  Ravel's Bolero, too.  Told you I was eclectic...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo, grympy

(12-03-2019, 07:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Everyone has a style they like.  I'm eclectic, but Pachelbel's Canon in D Major is good for me.  Ravel's Bolero, too.  Told you I was eclectic...

I love those composers too.  It's hard to think of one kind of classical music I like more than another.   I looove Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5....The "Emperor" Concerto.  I think I like it better than his 5th and 9th but they're all fantastic.  Here is Lang-Lang doing the 5th piano concerto. He's amazing. He must have taken a bottle of talent pills when he was a kid.  Gee, I wish I could play the piano.  It's one of my biggest regrets in life.   

I generally like all styles of music.....well,  except Rap and Heavy Metal. 

I can't rap my head around Rap and I can't stand screeching guitars and people screaming at me full throttle in, what is supposed to be, a song. I'm not a masochist, I don't like people screaming and screetching at me anywhere in my life, why would I pay someone to do it on a stage or digitally?
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-03-2019, 08:37 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 07:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:58 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: This remains my favorite performance of my favorite piece of music.

I love those composers too.  It's hard to think of one kind of classical music I like more than another.   I looove Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5....The "Emperor" Concerto.  I think I like it better than his 5th and 9th but they're all fantastic.  Here is Lang-Lang doing the 5th piano concerto. He's amazing. He must have taken a bottle of talent pills when he was a kid.  Gee, I wish I could play the piano.  It's one of my biggest regrets in life.   

I generally like all styles of music.....well,  except Rap and Heavy Metal. 

I can't rap my head around Rap and I can't stand screeching guitars and people screaming at me full throttle in, what is supposed to be, a song. I'm not a masochist, I don't like people screaming and screetching at me anywhere in my life, why would I pay someone to do it on a stage or digitally?

We agree on some music. I can like anything instrumental. Which really does cut off rap, LOL!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I'm not familiar, but it's very beautiful.

My post  didn't come out the way I wanted, so I deleted it.. 

Have always loved the organ riff in "Whiter Shade of Pale" .Even though  the composer  seems to  have lifted it from Bach's 'Air on a g string'

(12-03-2019, 08:54 PM)grympy Wrote:

Not familiar. My post  didn't come out the way I wanted, so I deleted it.. 

Have always loved the organ riff in "Whiter Shade of Pale" .Even though   the composer  seems to  have lifted it from Bach's 'Air on a g string'

I'm not surprised.  I've been told that many rock artists have classical training.  Not that I would know.  My brain and fingers don't communicate very well.  I can whistle though.

(12-03-2019, 08:59 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 08:54 PM)grympy Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:58 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: This remains my favorite performance of my favorite piece of music.

Not familiar. My post  didn't come out the way I wanted, so I deleted it.. 

Have always loved the organ riff in "Whiter Shade of Pale" .Even though   the composer  seems to  have lifted it from Bach's 'Air on a g string'

I'm not surprised.  I've been told that many rock artists have classical training.  Not that I would know.  My brain and fingers don't communicate very well.  I can whistle though.

I've observed that people who can whistle on key can usually also sing. I don't have enough samples to know if that's generally correct. Me? Can't hold a note. Has always annoyed me; my dad was a fine lyric tenor .

The Toy's 'Lover's Concerto ' is a rip  of Bach's  minuet  in G major

The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Cavebear

(12-03-2019, 09:28 PM)grympy Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 08:59 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 08:54 PM)grympy Wrote: Not familiar. My post  didn't come out the way I wanted, so I deleted it.. 

I've observed that people who can whistle on key can usually also sing. I don't have enough samples to know if that's generally correct. Me? Can't hold a noet. Has always annoyed me; my dad was a fine lyric tenor .

The Toy's 'Lover's Concerto ' is a rip  of Bach's  minuet  in G major

I once casually whistled 'Greensleeves' at a campground forgetting there were others around. And got applause. That was embarrassing but nice. And I "can" sing. Lyrics, inflections and pauses are in my head all the time. But instruments baffle me. There is just no "there" there for me.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • grympy

Bach never had that much "soul."

They also did "Silver Spoon" taken from Beethoven Sonata #8 in c,   "Pathetique"  (2d movement)

The second movement begins at the 8:40 mark.

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(12-03-2019, 09:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Bach never had that much "soul."

They also did "Silver Spoon" taken from Beethoven Sonata #8 in c,   "Pathetique"  (2d movement)

The second movement begins at the 8:40 mark.

I have my favorites and none of them are Bach or Mozart. It surprises me too. I love structure in music, but not their style.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

For myself, the absolute peak of Western Music was attained on May 1, 1786 at the end of the second act at the premiere of Mozart's Le Nozze de Figaro.

It declined slowly after that and fell off the cliff in the 20th century.

(12-03-2019, 10:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote: That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

For myself, the absolute peak of Western Music was attained on May 1, 1786 at the end of the second act at the premiere of Mozart's Le Nozze de Figaro.

It declined slowly after that and fell off the cliff in the 20th century.

4 guys playing Bolero. On one cello!

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/rave...ero-cello/

I hear soul in most of his stuff, it's very emotional music to my ears.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • julep

Too much of Bach was a little too churchy for me.  In the Baroque I prefer Handel and Vivaldi but when Bach stepped away from the jesus shit he could be very, very, good.

Bach took one of Vivaldi's concerti grossi and transcribed it for organ.  Spectacular.

The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-03-2019, 10:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Bach is god.  God as I’d want it to be, at any rate.  It’s hard to explain how deep and interesting tackling His compositions is, but they feel different every time.  So many gorgeous paths through the maze! 

And yes, emotions and “soul” galore.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-03-2019, 11:40 PM)julep Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 10:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Bach is god.  God as I’d want it to be, at any rate.  It’s hard to explain how deep and interesting tackling His compositions is, but they feel different every time.  So many gorgeous paths through the maze! 

And yes, emotions and “soul” galore.

I still play "Jesu, Joy ..." on my guitar and marvel at the insight of the music even as I'm playing it. It's moving to me.
On hiatus.

(12-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Too much of Bach was a little too churchy for me.  In the Baroque I prefer Handel and Vivaldi but when Bach stepped away from the jesus shit he could be very, very, good.

It's all good, I divorce myself from Bach's patronage and just enjoy the music for its own sake. No matter his inspiration, his output was genius, imo.
On hiatus.
  • Vivian Darkbloom

And people wonder why I adore Mozart!

My main two favorite composers are Rachmaninoff and Chopin. Big Grin
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Vivian Darkbloom

(12-04-2019, 01:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Too much of Bach was a little too churchy for me.  In the Baroque I prefer Handel and Vivaldi but when Bach stepped away from the jesus shit he could be very, very, good.

It's all good, I divorce myself from Bach's patronage and just enjoy the music for its own sake. No matter his inspiration, his output was genius, imo.

His output was genius and abundant. There should be something for everyone there, I think.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

(12-04-2019, 12:57 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

His output was genius and abundant. There should be something for everyone there, I think.

It's amazing how prolific he was.
On hiatus.
  • GenesisNemesis

I was just flipping through my Youtube account and, I guess because I had looked up The Toys' Lover's Concerto recently it offered me a 1966 rendition by Cilla Black.  Not quite as good.