Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apostrophe Protection Society close's it's door's...
Big Grin 
[Image: 11757452-3x2-700x467.jpg]

Apostrophe Protection Society closes its doors

Another self-described authority on the English language here in Australia says; "Apostrophes have a few
substantial roles in written English, and a host of additional minor ones. Chief among their responsibilities
are showing where letters have been omitted, as in don't.  The apostrophe is not needed for this job, and
for quite a long time did not do it".

I say utter bullshit.  For example, the words "won't" and "wont".  The apostrophe completely changes the
meaning of these two words.  Won't is a contraction of "will not", whereas wont is a noun meaning "to follow
or observe habitually or customarily", or an adjective meaning "accustomed".

Another common example of the necessity of an apostrophe:  "it's" and "its".  One is a contraction of "it is",
and the other a possessive pronoun.  But two entirely different meanings because of the apostrophe.  And
what about "we're" and "were"?

Another major role for the apostrophe of course is to indicate what's commonly called the possessive case.
English spelling convention distinguishes possessive singular  forms (flower's, glass's, one's) from simple
plural forms (flowers, glasses, ones), and additionally the possessive plural  forms (flowers', glasses', ones').

In the main, those people who complain about the continued use of the apostrophe—or even if its [sic ]
needed—are usually those people who lack the basic skills of  English grammar; spelling, punctuation, and
syntax, and who try to hide that ignorance by decrying what they don't understand:  Spelling and punctuation.

[Image: 11757488-3x2-700x467.jpg]

I'm sure that everybody here viewing this image would be smirking at its horror!  This use of the
apostrophe is often called "the signwriter's stutter".   Or should that be "signwriters' stutter" LOL?

PS:  My comments of course exclude those who's [sic ] native language is not English.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Cavebear

The frozen food has a cigarette that owns some chocolate. I see no problem Big Grin
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, brewerb

(12-02-2019, 07:35 PM)no one Wrote:

Lol, I posted the same video on a guitar forum which mentioned this.

I heard the fate of the apostrophe is, um, up in the air.
On hiatus.

Well, as they say;
Great minds think alike.
However, they also say;
Fools seldom differ.[Image: Gagged.png]
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

(12-02-2019, 11:44 PM)no one Wrote: Well, as they say;
Great minds think alike.
However, they also say;

Fellow Zappatista here.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

I can't spell for shit but I'm pretty good with apostrophes.     

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but I had to look at the thread heading to spell the word "apostrophes".     
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

(12-03-2019, 01:36 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I can't spell for shit but I'm pretty good with apostrophes.     

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but I had to look at the thread heading to spell the word "apostrophes".     

I'm pretty good with apostrophe's too. Their pretty easy. Couldn't of said it better myself!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(12-03-2019, 02:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 01:36 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I can't spell for shit but I'm pretty good with apostrophes.     

I'm pretty good with apostrophe's too. Their pretty easy. Couldn't of said it better myself!

LOLOLOL.  Me and my big mouth.   Tongue I'm pretty good with they and their and stuff like that too. Yeah.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-02-2019, 06:32 PM)SYZ Wrote: I say utter bullshit.  For example, the words "won't" and "wont".  The apostrophe completely changes the
meaning of these two words.  Won't is a contraction of "will not", whereas wont is a noun meaning "to follow

Two different words can have the same spelling, but yes apostrophes are a must for contraction. How many times have you heard people say "prolly" or more correctly pro'ly one of fucking stupidest contractions ever invented? But that said some contractions have had no apostrophes for decades, like et'c'.

How about Br'exit? Or the fact that some acronyms like SCUBA are written as if they're words: scuba.
The following 1 user Likes Aractus's post:
  • SYZ

Good. The damn things lead to the premature death of Victor Borge.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

While we're on it, why does "ain't" have an apostrophe at all? It's not a contraction so far as I know.

And what about "shan't"? I'm pretty sure it should two goddamned apostrophes: sha'n't.

Also, I'm pretty sure Borge died from the lack, ironically, of the grave accent. Might have to go look it up to be sure, though.
On hiatus.

(12-03-2019, 02:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Their a hole nuther thing.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-03-2019, 02:20 AM)Aractus Wrote:  But that said some contractions have had no apostrophes for decades, like et'c'.

Ummm, no.  "etc." is a contraction of "et cetera".  No apostrophes are, or have ever been, warranted.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, c172

(12-02-2019, 06:32 PM)SYZ Wrote: [Image: 11757452-3x2-700x467.jpg]

Apostrophe Protection Society closes its doors

Another self-described authority on the English language here in Australia says; "Apostrophes have a few
substantial roles in written English, and a host of additional minor ones. Chief among their responsibilities
are showing where letters have been omitted, as in don't.  The apostrophe is not needed for this job, and
for quite a long time did not do it".

I say utter bullshit.  For example, the words "won't" and "wont".  The apostrophe completely changes the

Another common example of the necessity of an apostrophe:  "it's" and "its".  One is a contraction of "it is",
and the other a possessive pronoun.  But two entirely different meanings because of the apostrophe.  And
what about "we're" and "were"?

Another major role for the apostrophe of course is to indicate what's commonly called the possessive case.
English spelling convention distinguishes possessive singular  forms (flower's, glass's, one's) from simple
plural forms (flowers, glasses, ones), and additionally the possessive plural  forms (flowers', glasses', ones').

In the main, those people who complain about the continued use of the apostrophe—or even if its [sic ]
needed—are usually those people who lack the basic skills of  English grammar; spelling, punctuation, and
syntax, and who try to hide that ignorance by decrying what they don't understand:  Spelling and punctuation.

[Image: 11757488-3x2-700x467.jpg]

I'm sure that everybody here viewing this image would be smirking at its horror!  This use of the
apostrophe is often called "the signwriter's stutter".   Or should that be "signwriters' stutter" LOL?

PS:  My comments of course exclude those who's [sic ] native language is not English.

I have a small post-it note on my monitor stand.  "It's" = it is and "its" = possessive.  Because both make logical sense with an apostrophe...

And don't get me started on the plural possessive of an apostrophe after s...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(12-02-2019, 11:44 PM)no one Wrote: Well, as they say;
Great minds think alike.
However, they also say;

He: Great minds think alike!
She: And so do ours!
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Unfortunately I am a product of seventies education policies in Britain so I'm probably one of the worst offenders, at no time whatever were we taught grammer or any of the proper syntax etc etc etc, it was a dark time for British education and kids unless your parents could afford to send you to a private school. But also I'm lazy, I just can't be arsed to press the extra buttons required to use apostrophes.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

From a couple of grammar sites:

The Merriest of Christmas’s.  I write Christmases.

What are the pro's and con's of the product?  I write pros and cons.

He received four A’s and two B’s. I write As and Bs.

We hired three M.D.’s and two D.O.’s.   I write three MDs and two DOs.

Be sure to cross your t’s and dot your i’s.  I agree with this non-conventional form only to avoid confusion—but technically it's wrong.

Do we have more yes’s than no’s?  I write yesses and noes.

She learned her ABC's well.  I write ABCs.

—In my opinion, apostrophes should never be used to form plurals if it can be avoided.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Chas