Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you pay for internet ?

(12-01-2019, 02:48 AM)skyking Wrote: Cable speed is 66/6 here. I remember the first local cable company had about 0.760/0.256 and wow was that fast Big Grin

Bandwidth for my dial up was 56kbps, actual download speed was more like 15-20kbps. Had a dedicated phone line installed so as to not tie up my phone.

(12-01-2019, 02:51 AM)grympy Wrote: Bandwidth for my dial up was 56kbps, actual download speed was more like 15-20kbps. Had a dedicated phone line installed so as to not tie up my phone.

Man... that's moving LOL. When I first went on the WWW, my bitrate was 14.4 kbit/s (in 1992 I think).
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

My first experience of networked computers was over a 10 cps link to a mainframe in Minneapolis. The system had a primitive multi-user chat which I used to use after-hours in the computer lab. The teacher liked us, so he let us stay after even after he'd gone home, just letting ourselves out. One night I made a paper tape program to type a sentence into chat and hit return, and I taped the paper tape ends together to make a loop and let that run all night. I guess that was my first and last DOS attack.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

Cable/internet @$119 : 7ms ping / 241.69 mbps / 7.34 mbps 

I get the same result with the OOKLA browser app and the desktop app.
Philosophy is about asking questions.
Science is about answering questions.
Theology is about avoiding questions.

(11-30-2019, 01:14 AM)grympy Wrote: Right now, I use a company with no lock in contract. I pay $74 a month. For that I get 50/20 mbps. Data  limit of 500GB (uploads included)  Some outage time most  weeks, but mostly late at night.  My plan is OK relatively speaking, but not wonderful. 

I'm paying 22,9 Euros with no data limit. 75/20.

(12-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote: I get the same result with the OOKLA browser app and the desktop app.

May be just a glitch with Chrome or just my copy.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

I live in Taipei, Taiwan, but I'm originally from the US. I use my phone, which has unlimited internet, as a hot spot. This is my current speed. 

[Image: s7nbQn.png]

I pay the equivalent of $46 US a month. I understand that is expensive here. I'm sure I can get a better plan if my girlfriend (a local) goes with me. I have Amazon prime but I can't watch most of the shows and movies because of international restrictions. I leech Netflix and Disney plus from my friends (they leech off my amazon).

I'm in upstate NY and have gigabit ethernet for about $120 a month (Verizon FIOS).

This is very unusual however. Just one block away you can't get more than a tenth of that speed and it's still not uncommon to max out at 25 or 30 mbps in the US. Also many people are stuck with cable providers and those slow down the more people who are online in your neighborhood. It is not dedicated bandwidth like this.

I literally chose this neighborhood when we moved here in 2012 because it was new construction and was getting fiber to the house. As it turned out, only this and one other neighborhood in this city have that; Verizon decided to quit building out its FIOS network, including in places like New York City where they had actually promised to do so. Instead they have focused on 5G wireless, which is arguably a good move (for them) short term but in the long run they will regret it.

When we first moved here we got 75 mbps for like $75/mo. Almost every year they've bumped it -- first to 100 and then 150 and then to 300 and now to 1000 -- and added maybe 10$ a month each time.

We get an IP phone along for the ride for free; not that we use it much. It allows my wife to think that we have a land line.

Verizon doesn't offer TV here so we have gotten that separately from Dish Network. That TV service had edged up to where it was $150/mo so I cut the cord this month -- now using YouTube TV via a Roku device, for $50/mo.

I read that it's really difficult to cancel Dish -- they twist your arm every which way. I just called and told the phone rep I'm moving out of the country. "Oh, where?" "Iceland!" I said brightly. I don't think he believed me but he said, look, I'm required to offer you this, and you're free to decline it -- but if you stay with us I'll give you $40 a month off for the next year. I said no, and I was disconnected in record time -- the whole call didn't take 5 minutes.

I send Al Gore $5.00 a month.
It is his right ?

(12-09-2019, 10:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I send Al Gore $5.00 a month.
It is his right ?

Actually you should send that to me. I convinced Al to put the whole thing in the pubic domain.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

GigE internet was one of the options I had when I renewed my contract with Comcast a couple months ago, and it was reasonable, but I really need no more than about 10mbs bandwidth, so there's no point spending any extra for GigE.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]