Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you pay for internet ?

Australia has  very slow internet  speeds  by world standards. According to the list,(see link)  we are  50th.

Australia has a thing called the National Broadband Network.  A multi billion dollar plan introduced by  a former government with the promise that it would make Australia competitive  with other countries' speeds . OK, it's still not finished rolling out.  However, I have NBN, and the relatively unusual 'fibre to the premises' rather than  "fibre to the node" (then it's  copper to the premises)

The current maximum speed  in OZ of which I'm aware is 200 mbps. However, internet  speed is  tiered, from 25mbps, as are charges.  As far as I'm aware, speeds will not increase significantly once NBN is fully rolled out.  

ACTUAL download speeds average at about 5mbps for large files. Fast enough for Netflix HD and Youtube Hd and 4K . Speed test show my bandwidth as 49 mbps down 19mbps up 

Right now, I use a company with no lock in contract. I pay $74 a month. For that I get 50/20 mbps. Data  limit of 500GB (uploads included)  Some outage time most  weeks, but mostly late at night.  My plan is OK relatively speaking, but not wonderful. 

Be most interested to learn what others pay and and what  you get for your money. 

World internet speeds, in order: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...ion_speeds

I just rewired my Atari 2600, now I get 5200 mbps. And the occasional timespace displacement.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

I pay about the same, but it's with a cable company, so I get my local TV stations rolled into the bargain.  It's only SD on the set-top box, but if I stream it using their streaming app, I get HD for free.

And I've got Amazon Prime ($6) and Disney+ ($7), and soon I'll try Curiosity stream ($20/yr). I pirate my sports TV and so that's free.

[Image: 8808881679.png]
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

we pay 135 USD for home phone, internet and cable in one service. We will be adding two mobile phones which will bring the bill to about 200 USD.

Remember folks, more than a mouthful is wasted.

I was stunned to see what we pay for our internet. I surf the net, use the phone occasionally, and watch TV maybe an hour a week. We're talking around $200+ a month. This does not include our cell phone costs. The wife got some kind of premium TV package that plays all kinds of shit, Idunno what. When we got married, I didn't even have a TV (uni, job, sleep), and my wife got an old B&W set from her dad's attic so that she could watch reruns of "I Love Lucy" Rolleyes I couldn't tell you how fast the internet is here, but there is very seldom a delay in what I load, up or down. No brag, just fact.

(11-30-2019, 01:33 AM)no one Wrote: I just rewired my Atari 2600, now I get 5200 mbps. And the occasional timespace displacement.

I hate you. Tongue

(11-30-2019, 01:52 AM)skyking Wrote: we pay 135 USD for home phone, internet and cable in one service. We will be adding two mobile phones which will bring the bill to about 200 USD.

My VOIP  phone costs me $1.65 a month ,plus calls. Because I have our NBN, my LAN phoned no longer goes through an exchange.   I only have it for emergencies, such as  I lose  my mobile phone or the dog eats it.

. I DO have a phone which is also unlocked  and kept fully charge and turned off. 

My mobile phone is prepaid ,and costs me $147 a year. All calls and texts within Oz. No roaming. Data  6 GB a month, which suits me . The company is Kogan, the carrier is Vodaphone

It's ok, everyone does.

My VOIP is basically free. I paid $40 for a VOIP device and use Google Voice as my exchange. I have an Obama phone which may or may not be active. I'm planning to buy an unlocked phone and switch to a different, free, Lifeline provider sometime after Christmas. I technically canceled my Obamaphone and should have been dropped for inactivity, but I haven't been able to confirm that, and Verizon is showing it as still active.

Here we have two major providers and I keep switching depending on the deals and contracts. I'll pay between $50 and $70/month. 

I have magicjack for the phone. I think with taxes it runs about $7 to $8 a month.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(11-30-2019, 03:13 AM)brewerb Wrote: Here we have two major providers and I keep switching depending on the deals and contracts. I'll pay between $50 and $70/month. 

I have magicjack for the phone. I think with taxes it runs about $7 to $8 a month.

My VOIP was a nightmare to install. My ISP has blocked the router against any VOIP service but theirs. Had to buy an adapter. Very lucky to have a nerdy mate.(retired computer programmer)  He set up my VOIP. Took him an hour. Hate to think what it would have taken me .   

I had to look up "Obama phone" we don't have it here.  Great idea though. 

Have had two outages today. Seriously considering changing my provider .
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brewerb

I use my neighbors. She won't let me pay her so every few months I buy her a bottle of wine.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude
The following 1 user Likes Chimp3's post:
  • skyking

50€ for telephone flat, internet flat and TV. Additional 20€ for cable connection. Totals 70. Will switch to SAT in June in order to save 20 for connection and be able to use double package instead of triple. Double package without TV: 40€

150mbit down, 10mbit up.
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 

About 10 dollars for 100Mb/s with unlimited data and I still could get better speed for the same price if I will be willing to change few things.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

We have more income than outgo, so I don't really pay attention to the costs. I think 2 cell phones, internet, and Directv come in about $200. Hoping to find a faster internet service eventually.

[Image: Mi7h86X.jpg]
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy

The boyfriend takes care of that kind of stuff. Had to ask him.

High speed internet through the cable company for $69.00/month.

(11-30-2019, 01:14 AM)grympy Wrote: ...ACTUAL download speeds average at about 5mbps for large files. Fast enough for Netflix HD and Youtube Hd and 4K . Speed test show my bandwidth as 49 mbps down 19mbps up 

Right now, I use a company with no lock in contract. I pay $74 a month. For that I get 50/20 mbps. Data  limit of 500GB (uploads included)  Some outage time most  weeks, but mostly late at night.  My plan is OK relatively speaking, but not wonderful. 

Be most interested to learn what others pay and and what  you get for your money. 

Agreed.  Australia's internet speeds are an embarrassment when compared to the rest of the world.  
These are my current (and typical) speeds in Gippsland, Victoria:

[Image: 8810659635.png]

We pay $99 per month for an alleged 50/20 FTTN plan, including phone and unlimited data.
Our modem/router falls back to 4G if the fibre drops out, which happens maybe once or twice a week.
A lot of people in our area of Gippsland claim that ADSL2+ was faster over a  full copper pair then this
"bloody NBN" of ours.  At less than 8Mbps upload, things can slow down at times, particularity with
a high ping/RTT.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(11-30-2019, 07:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote: About 10 dollars for 100Mb/s with unlimited data and I still could get better speed for the same price if I will be willing to change few things.

I'll be fucked! And here I was thinking that Australia was "the lucky country"... as our politicians keep telling us LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • grympy

(11-30-2019, 04:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 07:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote: About 10 dollars for 100Mb/s with unlimited data and I still could get better speed for the same price if I will be willing to change few things.

I'll be fucked!  And here I was thinking that Australia was "the lucky country"... as our politicians keep telling us LOL.

Romania has even better internet speed from what I heard but I can't complain about speed here.

I did speed test* and results were:
DL - 53.68 Mb/s
UL - 10.71 Mb/s
Ping - 16ms

*with PS4 in online mode running
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

If you use OOKLA speed test I recommend using the desktop app, not the browser page.

(11-30-2019, 11:57 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We have more income than outgo, so I don't really pay attention to the costs. I think 2 cell phones, internet, and Directv come in about $200. Hoping to find a faster internet service eventually.

Here I am with my ISP telling me that 50mbps is fast.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; NEVER trust politicians with anything technical .Never.----

(11-30-2019, 09:00 PM)grympy Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 11:57 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We have more income than outgo, so I don't really pay attention to the costs. I think 2 cell phones, internet, and Directv come in about $200. Hoping to find a faster internet service eventually.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; NEVER trust politicians with anything technical .Never.----

It is, for wired connections. I have fiber optics to the modem. Living in an urban area has some pluses.

(12-01-2019, 01:53 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 09:00 PM)grympy Wrote:

It is, for wired connections. I have fiber optics to the modem. Living in an urban area has some pluses.

Me too. Our internet  speed still woeful.

Cable speed is 66/6 here. I remember the first local cable company had about 0.760/0.256 and wow was that fast Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • grympy